Audiophilleo 1 and 2 USB to S/PDIF transport
Jan 1, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #976 of 1,214
Quote:
You could always upgrade computer poower supply if you are into DIY windows machines.

Purepower is a definite improvement, much better coherency and separation, I have compared stock and purepower side by side and the difference was obvious.  

IMO purepower should be a step above solutions that just feed power to the USB as it bypasses the AP2 internal regulator and feeds very clean power to where it matters most.  In fact I tested the Vaunix (which is not linear supply like the AQVOX bit is switching) with the PP AP2 and found it did more harm than good in my setup (my computer PSU already has very low ripple).  I might try a USB supply in the future but IMO purepower is pretty much optimal.

After more than a first impression in my system, the Vaunix "did no harm." but did not improve things as I originally reported. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #977 of 1,214
I had this exact same setup and ended up adding the PurePower. It was much more noticable of an improvement than I was expecting. It has been quite a while since I added the PurePower, but I remember the background feeling blacker, micro-details improving, and it sounding noticeably more organic/musical. I didn't think the difference between using the Aqvox in front of the AP2 was very noticeable, if at all. I only did it since it seemed like it might help a little at least theoretically. I sold the Aqvox a time later and bought the PurePower, and haven't looked back.
Since then, I added a much more resolving DAC in my Yulong Sabre D18 (compared to my Audio-gd NFB-10WM. The micro-detail and blackness of background are awesome with this DAC and AP2/PP. It became clear that AP2/PurePower can continue to scale with better and better gear.

Quote:
I have an AP2 with an AQVOX power supply hooked up to it.  I am thinking of sending it off to get pure power installed.  Has anyone ever compared PP to AQVOX, and if so is it worth it?

Jan 10, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #978 of 1,214
Here's the new, "not-a-color" (Black) Audiophilleo Pure Power Battery Power Supply. It's the same as before, but in svelte Black. I like it.  

As background, I received one of the very first PP releases which turned out to have a screen anomaly--it would light up, but the readout was very faint. Held it at very awkward angles, I could just barely make out the display. I contacted Phillip and described the condition. He offered to send me a new unit right away, so that I didn't have to be without music. Phillip has provided exceptional service throughout my product relationship with him. 

The new "not-a-color" Black units aren't on the Web site yet, but I'll bet they're right around the corner!

For those with AP1/AP2 units, the latest firmware has been posted to the Web site, v. 1.25.  

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #979 of 1,214
Can Audiophilleo and pure power be sonically superior to direct Asynchronys USB input? Has anyone compared them? It would seem that it would not be as good. True- the device has it's own Asyn USB input, and let's even say it has a much better clock than my DAC's USB asyn input. Nevertheless, the second this device transfers the signal to SPDIF- the jitter increases, unlike direct asyn USB input where whatever jitter is removed by the clock- at least it for the most part does not increase.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #980 of 1,214
Thinking about it wrong.  The AP2 and all USB > SPDIF devices, including the one inside the box, take USB, process it and spit out SPDIF to the DAC.  The question is whether your internal usb>spdif is better than the AP2.  A lot of them use the m2tech HiFace OEM or Tenor... which is to say a garbage one :wink:

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #982 of 1,214
Quote:
Can Audiophilleo and pure power be sonically superior to direct Asynchronys USB input? Has anyone compared them? It would seem that it would not be as good. True- the device has it's own Asyn USB input, and let's even say it has a much better clock than my DAC's USB asyn input. Nevertheless, the second this device transfers the signal to SPDIF- the jitter increases, unlike direct asyn USB input where whatever jitter is removed by the clock- at least it for the most part does not increase.

It really depends on the async USB being used in the DAC vs. its S/PDIF input. The only thing I've had match it is the new VIA 32-bit chip with custom drivers outputting I2S directly into the Audio-gd DACs. I haven't tried the TAS1020B solutions yet (from Centrance and Wavelength that are used in a number of DACs from various companies). The AP1/PP wipes the floor with the single XMOS-based solution I have here though.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #983 of 1,214
Just a heads up that I listed my Audiophilleo2 and PurePower on the for sale forums. I have really loved this setup as I have described in all of my posts in this thread over the last year or two. Changes to my work/life scheduled have made it increasingly difficult to find time to sit and enjoy my full-size rig, so I have decided to sell it off and go to a high-end portable setup.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/646081/audiophilleo2-with-purepower-upgrade-w-free-wireworld-ultraviolet-usb-cable

Jan 14, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #984 of 1,214
Just a heads up that I listed my Audiophilleo2 and PurePower on the for sale forums. I have really loved this setup as I have described in all of my posts in this thread over the last year or two. Changes to my work/life scheduled have made it increasingly difficult to find time to sit and enjoy my full-size rig, so I have decided to sell it off and go to a high-end portable setup.

[COLOR=810081]http://www.head-fi.org/t/646081/audiophilleo2-with-purepower-upgrade-w-free-wireworld-ultraviolet-usb-cable[/COLOR]

What's sad is for me, this IS part of my high-end portable setup! Sigh....

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #985 of 1,214
I've been playing around with my iPad and audio streaming. Using the Vaunix hub in the middle to allow the iPad to work with it, I had it almost streaming 192k. The AP1 showed 192k but the music was distorted.  Going back to 96k files, they sound better streamed through the iPad than direct from my MacBook Air. Not sure if the "better" is actually better or not, but the binaural Amber Rubath album sounds gentler and more delicate from the iPad, but more forward and aggressive with the MacBook Air. It's quite maddening. Would be great if the AP1 worked with 192k from the iPad though!

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #986 of 1,214
Haha, that is funny... :wink:.

On a side note, my Audiophilleo2 and PurePower sold already. It only lasted a day on the for sale forums. I'll surely miss it.
Quote:
What's sad is for me, this IS part of my high-end portable setup! Sigh....

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #987 of 1,214
Interesting observations. How are you streaming 192K files? 
Quote:
I've been playing around with my iPad and audio streaming. Using the Vaunix hub in the middle to allow the iPad to work with it, I had it almost streaming 192k. The AP1 showed 192k but the music was distorted.  Going back to 96k files, they sound better streamed through the iPad than direct from my MacBook Air. Not sure if the "better" is actually better or not, but the binaural Amber Rubath album sounds gentler and more delicate from the iPad, but more forward and aggressive with the MacBook Air. It's quite maddening. Would be great if the AP1 worked with 192k from the iPad though!

Jan 17, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #988 of 1,214
Quote:
Thinking about it wrong.  The AP2 and all USB > SPDIF devices, including the one inside the box, take USB, process it and spit out SPDIF to the DAC.  The question is whether your internal usb>spdif is better than the AP2.  A lot of them use the m2tech HiFace OEM or Tenor... which is to say a garbage one :wink:

Not exactly. The Anedio basically has a U2 inside the box that converts the signal to S/Pdif which then goes through the DAC's digital receiver. Many of them go direct from USB to I2S inside the DAC, there is no S/Pdif conversion. So how can a converter beat that? Well if the input isn't isolated and is bus powered, a whole bunch of garbage from the computer goes straight into the DAC, which has a tremendously detrimental effect on the sound.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #989 of 1,214
Not exactly. The Anedio basically has a U2 inside the box that converts the signal to S/Pdif which then goes through the DAC's digital receiver. Many of them go direct from USB to I2S inside the DAC, there is no S/Pdif conversion. So how can a converter beat that? Well if the input isn't isolated and is bus powered, a whole bunch of garbage from the computer goes straight into the DAC, which has a tremendously detrimental effect on the sound.

X2 to this. There are very few usb dacs out here that have properly isolated usb inputs. You then have a choice between a dac with a good usb input or the dac you actually want and a high quality usb transport.

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #990 of 1,214
Pretty sure you two are saying different things :wink:  I'm saying being internal or external alone means nothing as there are poor examples of each.

Ie the W4S DAC-2 USB input is terrible, the PS Audio PWD2 USB input is quite good.  AP2 helps the W4S, hurts the PWD2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back