Audiophile iOS audio player
Jun 9, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #91 of 855
So today I decided to make the jump and try a few of the iOS players to see which one I like most.
I just downloaded and tried these music players:

- Relisten (v1.0.4)
- Neutron
- Hibiki
- iAudiogate
- Kaisertone

I thought that maybe I could share some brief impressions I have on these players:

Source: IPhone 6 (only)
Earphone: Fitear C435 with Effect Audio Leonidas cable
Settings: No EQ / No High reso songs (as Im a plain simple guy who likes to enjoy my music at 256kbps or 320kbps without striving for audio perfection)

User Interface/Design: (in order of preference)

1. Kaisertone/ iAudiogate: Of all the music players, the ones that I liked the most was iAudiogate and Kaisertone as they are easy to use and navigate around. It was also easy for me to figure out the different settings to try on these two players and they are quite similar to my Onkyo HF player that I have used for the longest time.

2. Relisten: Relisten has a decent interface which is easy to navigate too. I just thought that maybe they could make the fonts for the playlists and albums etc slightly nicer and... not yellow (personal preference)

3. Neutron: I think Neutron has the most customizations and settings but I felt that it was a little too complicated and took quite awhile for me to figure out how to navigate around to find the songs that I want to look for. However, Neutron does have a very good Cross-fade function which I felt beats the remaining music players hands down.

4. Hibiki: The last is Hibiki which I found actually looks nice as it is quite sleek with its orange and black design. However, I found that whenever I exit a song to look for another song in another playlist, my current song stops playing so this is quite frustrating for me. Furthermore, when I choose to shuffle all songs, it would mess up my playlist so when I want to look for a song within the current playlist while playing a song, I had a hard time trying to find my song since my playlist is like 200+ songs.

Sound: (in order of preference)

Okay this is pretty tricky as it is quite subjective so let me break this down in parts. Do note that I am a purist and enjoys a clean and neutral sound without too much colouring as far as Im concerned.

1. Kaisertone: Okay so the reason why I chose Kaisertone as the top of this list is because of its clarity. It has a very transparent and airy sound which is quite neutral and natural sounding. It also has the best instrumental separation to my ears as compared to the remaining players. It is not as mid centric as compared to the other players and adopts a more 'laid back' yet detailed signature. It also has a slightly wider sound stage as compared to Hibiki/iAudiogate. However, it does have slightly less bass impact and quantity as compared to iAudiogate or Hibiki but still sufficient for me.

2. iAudiogate/ Hibiki: Okay so this is a tough call. As for Hibiki, I felt that it actually sounds close to Kaisertone in terms of its neutrality and its clarity. It also sounds very transparent and fast but is less airy as compared to Kaisertone. However, it is more mid centric and there is some slight congestion in the mids which affects its overall presentation and instrumental separation. Its bass emphasis is just slightly better with more impact than Kaisertone.
For iAudiogate, I think that it is what many describe as a 'warm' or 'tube' sounding music player and has a coloured sound. I feel that it mellows down a little of the treble energy on the tracks but has the best bass depth and impact when compared with the other music players. In terms of mids clarity, it is also quite detailed and is quite forward sounding like the Hibiki. It is just slightly less transparent than Kaisertone. 

3. Relisten: Relisten was actually the first app which 'wowed' me when I first listened to it as it sounds more detailed than the other music players. It was able to pick up all the ambient sounds in the song and 'emphasize' them through its 'enhance classical' function. I think what Relisten shines in is its ability to have a very good sound stage 'height'. As compared to Kaisertone, which has a wider sound stage 'breath'. When you listen at Relisten, it sounds as if the song really has depth and the stage 'height' makes you feel as if the sound is travelling to you from all around you (Ie. 3 dimensional). However, the reason why I put Relisten as number 3 is because for certain tracks, due to its 'enhance classical' and algor settings, it actually picked up quite a lot of the ambient 'noise' in the song which makes the song almost unbearable when listening. For these tracks, there were a lot of 'sizzling' and 'noise' in the background that overpowers the mids and just dampens my whole listening experience. Its sound is also quite coloured which was not what i'm looking for.

4. Neutron: Okay so the main reason why I have gotten Neutron is because I am a huge fan of crossfeed and so I wanted to try it. However, when I chose the crossfeed setting, I felt that the song did not sound natural and seems a little veiled to my ears and so I was quite disappointed with it. As such, I reverted the music player to its default settings to try how it works as a pure music player. To be honest, I felt that it sounded quite similar to my Onkyo HF Player at its default settings so I was not very impressed with it.

Conclusion:

So overall I felt that my favourite and default player now is Kaisertone due to its user interface, design and of course its sound. However, when I want to go for a more bass heavy sound signature (Ie. when I go for a run), I would choose iAudiogate as my alternative. As much as I felt that Hibiki also faired very well, its user interface was too much of a disappointment and frustrated me to the extent that I would not use it until they have done something about it.

Disclaimer: Please take note that my impressions are based on what I listen to my ears so YMMV.

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:43 AM Post #92 of 855
Wow I am so happy you posted this. I feel the same way. Can't tell between Kaiser and habiki but definitely one of those for clarity and Kaiser is a much better UI. I loved relisten for so long but Iaudiogate won my heart. Do yourself a favor for real, get the boomstick it works so well with both of these apps.. My music finally sounds stellar and your post reaffirms my findings as well!

Jun 11, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #93 of 855
  So today I decided to make the jump and try a few of the iOS players to see which one I like most.

- Relisten (v1.0.4)
- Neutron
- Hibiki
- iAudiogate
- Kaisertone

I thought that maybe I could share some brief impressions I have on these players:

Settings: No EQ / No High reso songs (as Im a plain simple guy who likes to enjoy my music at 256kbps or 320kbps without striving for audio perfection)

1. Kaisertone/ iAudiogate: Of all the music players, the ones that I liked the most was iAudiogate and Kaisertone as they are easy to use and navigate around. It was also easy for me to figure out the different settings to try on these two players and they are quite similar to my Onkyo HF player that I have used for the longest time.

2. Relisten: Relisten has a decent interface which is easy to navigate too. I just thought that maybe they could make the fonts for the playlists and albums etc slightly nicer and... not yellow (personal preference)

3. Neutron: I think Neutron has the most customizations and settings but I felt that it was a little too complicated and took quite awhile for me to figure out how to navigate around to find the songs that I want to look for. However, Neutron does have a very good Cross-fade function which I felt beats the remaining music players hands down.

4. Hibiki: The last is Hibiki which I found actually looks nice as it is quite sleek with its orange and black design. However, I found that whenever I exit a song to look for another song in another playlist, my current song stops playing so this is quite frustrating for me. Furthermore, when I choose to shuffle all songs, it would mess up my playlist so when I want to look for a song within the current playlist while playing a song, I had a hard time trying to find my song since my playlist is like 200+ songs.

Okay this is pretty tricky as it is quite subjective so let me break this down in parts. Do note that I am a purist and enjoys a clean and neutral sound without too much colouring as far as Im concerned.

1. Kaisertone: Okay so the reason why I chose Kaisertone as the top of this list is because of its clarity. It has a very transparent and airy sound which is quite neutral and natural sounding. It also has the best instrumental separation to my ears as compared to the remaining players. It is not as mid centric as compared to the other players and adopts a more 'laid back' yet detailed signature. It also has a slightly wider sound stage as compared to Hibiki/iAudiogate. However, it does have slightly less bass impact and quantity as compared to iAudiogate or Hibiki but still sufficient for me.

2. iAudiogate/ Hibiki: Okay so this is a tough call. As for Hibiki, I felt that it actually sounds close to Kaisertone in terms of its neutrality and its clarity. It also sounds very transparent and fast but is less airy as compared to Kaisertone. However, it is more mid centric and there is some slight congestion in the mids which affects its overall presentation and instrumental separation. Its bass emphasis is just slightly better with more impact than Kaisertone.
For iAudiogate, I think that it is what many describe as a 'warm' or 'tube' sounding music player and has a coloured sound. I feel that it mellows down a little of the treble energy on the tracks but has the best bass depth and impact when compared with the other music players. In terms of mids clarity, it is also quite detailed and is quite forward sounding like the Hibiki. It is just slightly less transparent than Kaisertone. 

3. Relisten: Relisten was actually the first app which 'wowed' me when I first listened to it as it sounds more detailed than the other music players. It was able to pick up all the ambient sounds in the song and 'emphasize' them through its 'enhance classical' function. I think what Relisten shines in is its ability to have a very good sound stage 'height'. As compared to Kaisertone, which has a wider sound stage 'breath'. When you listen at Relisten, it sounds as if the song really has depth and the stage 'height' makes you feel as if the sound is travelling to you from all around you (Ie. 3 dimensional). However, the reason why I put Relisten as number 3 is because for certain tracks, due to its 'enhance classical' and algor settings, it actually picked up quite a lot of the ambient 'noise' in the song which makes the song almost unbearable when listening. For these tracks, there were a lot of 'sizzling' and 'noise' in the background that overpowers the mids and just dampens my whole listening experience. Its sound is also quite coloured which was not what i'm looking for.

4. Neutron: Okay so the main reason why I have gotten Neutron is because I am a huge fan of crossfeed and so I wanted to try it. However, when I chose the crossfeed setting, I felt that the song did not sound natural and seems a little veiled to my ears and so I was quite disappointed with it. As such, I reverted the music player to its default settings to try how it works as a pure music player. To be honest, I felt that it sounded quite similar to my Onkyo HF Player at its default settings so I was not very impressed with it.

Conclusion:

So overall I felt that my favourite and default player now is Kaisertone due to its user interface, design and of course its sound. However, when I want to go for a more bass heavy sound signature (Ie. when I go for a run), I would choose iAudiogate as my alternative. As much as I felt that Hibiki also faired very well, its user interface was too much of a disappointment and frustrated me to the extent that I would not use it until they have done something about it.

Disclaimer: Please take note that my impressions are based on what I listen to my ears so YMMV.

Great Comparison...However have you tried Jetaudio?
For me it's one hell of a player,would be great if you can do compare it with the Kaisertone...Thanks.

Jun 11, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #95 of 855

- Relisten (v1.0.4)
- Neutron
- Hibiki
- iAudiogate
- Kaisertone

Conclusion:

Fatpooh,

I hate you. I compared Onkyo to KaiserTone and I have to agree KaiserTone sounds clearer with a slightly larger soundstage. Why I hate you is not the $10 but the 100GB of music I have to copy over from my iTunes library to KaiserTone.

One question, does it matter that I have the PCM output MAX at 96/24 as that is the highest resolution of my library?

Thank you for taking the time to do such an excellent comparison.

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #97 of 855
Flacplayer by Dan Leehr still the best imho

I like FLAC Player but if I am not mistaken it will only playback FLAC files. I use a Mac application FLACTunes to convert all of my music to ALAC (in its native bit depth and resolution) and the app automatically uploads the file to my iTunes library. While I am not a fan of iTunes its file management system is beyond reproach.

Jun 12, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #98 of 855
Very strange that this theme is so small. First of all. Good player app should just play files "as is" without colorize. If it is so, I can not understand why some apps costs $50. FLAC player, VOX do the same thing. This apps did not reviewed here ( Also I found a Cappricio with ReplayGain support.

Jun 13, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #101 of 855

Fatpooh,

I hate you. I compared Onkyo to KaiserTone and I have to agree KaiserTone sounds clearer with a slightly larger soundstage. Why I hate you is not the $10 but the 100GB of music I have to copy over from my iTunes library to KaiserTone.

One question, does it matter that I have the PCM output MAX at 96/24 as that is the highest resolution of my library?

Thank you for taking the time to do such an excellent comparison.

Thanks for all the kind words. Actually I have tried to play around with the output bit rates but to my ears, I cant pick up the difference so I turned off the upsampling altogether. Maybe the other audio experts can chime in on their take on whether it would affect?

I think when I am free I may add in further music players such as Flac Player but for now these are the only players that I have tried with. And to @sstyle, I agree with you that Im also a purist when it comes to finding players as I want a player that truly represents the song as it is intended to be listened. However, in certain occasions a little EQ or sound tuning does bring a new experience when it comes to listening to music. Or when I go for a run I would like a little more bass boost to keep my tempo up and keep me going.

Jun 13, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #102 of 855
sorry, guys. Make a good A\B test for Onkyo & Relisten on two iPhones. There is no difference. All effects on Relisten just slightly increase volume and you think that it sounds better. Same thing between stock Music app and Onkyo.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #103 of 855
For proof I made a Frequency Response by RMAA with VOX, iAudioGate, Onkyo HF, Onkyo HF + Centrance Mini-M8, Stock Apple Music player, Relisten in different modes.

Here is all files from RMAA - https://www.dropbox.com/s/s50dh24f4n051m0/iphone.zip?dl=0 and with load - https://www.dropbox.com/s/cr34unibztv35ez/load_iphone.zip?dl=0
upd: add iAudioGate
upd2: add Neutron
upd3: add FLAC Player & consumption
upd4: add Foobar2000 & graph with load (Weston UM3x)

Power consumption:
Onkyo HF (iPod libr) ~ 18mA, HD mode ~ 18mA
Foobar2000 ~22mA
FLAC player ~ 23mA
Stock ~ 24mA
iAudioGate ~ 29mA
Relisten ~ 43mA
Neutron (iPod libr) ~ 90mA

WITH LOAD (Westone UM3x)

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #104 of 855
  Great Comparison...However have you tried Jetaudio?
For me it's one hell of a player,would be great if you can do compare it with the Kaisertone...Thanks.

Just downloaded and tried Jetaudio. It's slightly softer as compared to the Kaisertone but I think that isn't an issue as I tried to tune both music players so that they are of the same volume when I A/B them. To my ears I think they are similar as they both have a slightly 'laid back' signature as compared to Onkyo which is more mid-forward. As for sound quality wise, I felt that JetAudio's mids are slightly 'softer' as compared to its bass so it appears to be slightly veiled. However for Kaisertone, the mids and bass are equally 'loud' (in the absence of a more technical term) so it appears that the mids are slightly clearer. The mids of JetAudio is also a little bit more grainy when compared to Kaisertone. However, in terms of bass impact and quantity, they are about the same. In this respect, a better comparison would be iAudiogate since both music players appear to have a slight focus on the low end. However, iAudiogate's bass is more refined and controlled and goes deeper. If its the bass you like for JetAudio, maybe you can give iAudiogate a try. Im sure it wouldn't disappoint. Do be a little mindful with the battery life though as it does drain battery faster than the other players. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back