Audiophile iOS audio player
Jun 29, 2023 at 2:58 PM Post #841 of 855
New to this thread, hopefully apps have improved in the meantime. My needs are as follows: iPhone 11 playback of my music library (FLACs from 16/44.1 to 24/96) located on OneDrive. Bit perfect playback (no volume or eq changes) and output to an external DAC thru Lightning to USB adapter. Now testing FLACBOX, only drawback is that the sample rate has to be changed manually, instead of changing automatically to honor the file’s sampling rate. Any alternatives?

I really appreciate your support and advice.

Jun 29, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #843 of 855
New to this thread, hopefully apps have improved in the meantime. My needs are as follows: iPhone 11 playback of my music library (FLACs from 16/44.1 to 24/96) located on OneDrive. Bit perfect playback (no volume or eq changes) and output to an external DAC thru Lightning to USB adapter. Now testing FLACBOX, only drawback is that the sample rate has to be changed manually, instead of changing automatically to honor the file’s sampling rate. Any alternatives?

I really appreciate your support and advice.
It's capable of all manner of changes if you want but also capable of bitperfect to external DACs. Has seen a recent update after a long hiatus so hopefully the present star rating is not quite reflective of the present quality https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hibymusic/id1048838844

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 15, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #844 of 855
As a newbie to iPhone / lossless who is currently using an iPhone 13 and a recently acquired pair of Focals (with built in DAC) who also has an Astell SR25 is there any point in keeping the Astell when I could just use an app on my phone via a wired USB C connection with lossless files on it ? I know the SR25 can do apt x so that is point of difference but anything else ? To that point rather than reading 57 pages of this thread what iOS app would you recommend to use lossless stored files on my phone and I certainly dont mind paying....

Oct 15, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #845 of 855
what iOS app would you recommend to use lossless stored files on my phone and I certainly dont mind paying....
I’m very happy with FlacBox on iPhone 11 and now on iPhone 14 plus (paid version, one-off payment of 10 euros). Mostly, I use the function to play my files stored in the cloud (FLACs from 16/44.1 to 24/96). Output thru Apple lightning to USB camera adapter connected to an external DAC. I don't like the fact that the sample rate has to be manually adjusted.

Oct 15, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #846 of 855
Good idea as I have about 3tb of lossless files between dropbox and iCloud.....although tbh if I am going to be streaming than apple music is pretty good as I was playing some Vangelis through it the other day at HD-Res lossless and I was pretty happy....but I will have a look at FlacBox later

Jan 16, 2024 at 5:15 AM Post #847 of 855
Jan 16, 2024 at 6:18 AM Post #848 of 855
As a newbie to iPhone / lossless who is currently using an iPhone 13 and a recently acquired pair of Focals (with built in DAC) who also has an Astell SR25 is there any point in keeping the Astell when I could just use an app on my phone via a wired USB C connection with lossless files on it ? I know the SR25 can do apt x so that is point of difference but anything else ? To that point rather than reading 57 pages of this thread what iOS app would you recommend to use lossless stored files on my phone and I certainly dont mind paying....
Mconnect? It’s a popular audiophile app in iOS that does everything including Qobuz. I used it yesterday to output over usb camera dongle to my chord mojo and it sounds great with the sample rate switching automatically. People normally use mconnect for upnp which ensures “bit perfect” - not 100% sure iOS lets you do usb asynchronous bit perfect like uapp on android but to me it sounded fantastic, and I have a chord poly for that.

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #850 of 855
What is the best way to sync my FLAC files from OneDrive to the HiBy Music app in my iPhone?
Does OneDrive appear as an option under the "Private Cloud" tab (scroll right from the list going "Title, Folder, Album,...")?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 16, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #851 of 855
Does OneDrive appear as an option under the "Private Cloud" tab (scroll right from the list going "Title, Folder, Album,...")?
Yes, it does! Although for that purpose, HibyMusic iOS is not very reliable IMHO. I just checked as I type this: HibyMusic app sees my OneDrive music folder, I can navigate in the various album artist, album subfolders, but nothing plays…. I’m sure it did work at some point…

On my iPhone, if I want to listen to my personal library, I used PlexAmp: I have a Plex server with PlexPass (I think that’s the name: it gives you access to your videos & music libraries through the cel. network) running on a Windows headless PC. That Plex server is “pointing” to my music lib, also sync’ed in OneDrive, mainly for backup, but also online access if needed. I also use PlexAmp in my car through CarPlay (works except for the stupid scrolling limits imposed by Apple and car manufacturers for “safety” reasons).

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2024 at 4:24 AM Post #852 of 855
Flacbox for iOS does a good job playing my backup music library stored in OneDrive

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #853 of 855
How do people here rate Plex Amp for iOS ? Apparently it’s bit perfect and you can download from your Plex server
I think it's pretty great! You have to go into Settings / Playback / Sample Rate Matching -> choose Strict.
Hi-res works for me via CCK to a Fiio BTR15.
The quality of the UI, as well as the cataloguing and playlist/collection management features make it an easy recommendation over just about every other iOS player, for me at least.

Jan 29, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #854 of 855
you can download from your Plex server
Just to clarify… you can download from your Plex server, but don’t have to: if you have Plex Pass, you can stream from your library anywhere (as long as you have cell. coverage :ksc75smile:) and/or download over cell. network if you allow it. If you’re concerned about data, you can also configure Plex to downsample.

Plex is somewhat overlooked for audio, but it is a great solution IMO. :ksc75smile:

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:31 AM Post #855 of 855
In my mind it was time to transition from having dedicated DAP units to primarily using an iphone with a dongle. But in my wonky world, DSD needed to be supported. Picked up a maxed out iphone, the 15 Pro max with 1TB. The loaded up a bunch of DSD files, mostly in SACD ISO format.

I was all set to go then found that DSD files were not being forwarded with IOS 17.1 or 17.2. Found a piece of software that was not particularly noteworthy but did play DSD files to my Cayin RU7 (not to my FIIO Q3-MQA).

Along the way I discovered that the developer of Neutron player more than knows what he is doing. I still need to learn the ins and outs of the product but in my use case it can output DSD in native mode or DoP. With the second public beta of IOS 17.4 both of my devices are playing DSD files.

I would suggest minor tweaks to the software but in general I don't think anybody else rises to the level of Neutron when it comes to overall technical competence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back