Audiophile iOS audio player
Jun 15, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #121 of 855
I don't know I keep a-bing but iaudiogate sounds better to me than kaisertone.

I downloaded iAudiogate and like you compared it to KaiserTone. After some entensive comparisons, I agree with Fatpooh that on sound alone the KaiserTone is clearer with a bit more air at the top and iAudiogate a touch warmer. The million dollar question is it better and that comes down the idiosyncratic tastes of the listener. I will say this I prefer the KaiserTone.

Also, I am a little worried that iAudiogate does not seem to allow a bit perfect output. I am no technical expert but both the "buffer size" and "real-time conversion" whatever they do are controlled by the application and cannot be disabled.

Jun 21, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #122 of 855
Found a CapTune by Sennheiser. It's free. It allows you to stream from Tidal with EQ applied, it gives you 90 days trial, and it has an intelligent EQ A/B tester. Sure it can play from iTunes library too

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #123 of 855
Anyone know if any of these alternative players allow you to access the star rating system? It's been the basis for how I sort music into smart playlists, and apple removed it from their music app in the iOS 10 beta.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #125 of 855
Thanks to all for the useful posts in this thread!

I've used Onkyo Player, Kaisertone, and CanOpener for a long time. They are all good players. They all sound goo enough to me that I ceased bringing a DAC/AMP and just use my iPhone 6 straight out to my IEMs. To me, Onkyo Player's sound signature is flatter and cleaner than Kaisertone. But I'm not a big fan of the Onkyo interface.

Kaiser tone does seem to provide a bit more detail, but I think that's partly because it's got the brightest sound signature. Highs in Kaisertone are noticeably enhanced and that kind of kills it for me. It's too bright for my tastes. I do appreciate the frequent updates from the developer, however.

CanOpener is my favorite. It's got a cool (if a bit quirky) UI design, and the sound is outstanding. The crossfeed feature sounds excellent, and it is really done right in this app. It does add a bit of fullness to the bass, though not extreme by any means, which I like. It sounds like listening to a pair of speakers playing a signal run through a tube amp. Unfortunately, it looks like CanOpener is no longer actively supported by the developer. It still works perfectly, but may not forever. It's only $2.99, though.

I just bought iAudiogate based on the recommendations here, so I'm excited to check it out.

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #127 of 855
I just did another comparison of Onkyo, KaiserTone and iAudiogate and came to the conclusion Onkyo is the best on pure sound. With my portable rig, I have no interest nor did I test any of the sound shaping features such as EQ or cross fade not is my opinion about the user interface.

I feel iAudiogate of the three has a compressed soundstage is is the warmer of the three. KaiserTone has a bit more air but while I would not say the highs are enhanced I would say KaiserTone is brighter and overall less musical. Onkyo sounds the smoothest with the best overall sound and the most musical. I agree the user interface is clearly dated but since all I want from a music app is the cleanest bit perfect signal, Onkyo HF Player is best of the three.

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #128 of 855

Quote:
  @Cheesedoodle, Waiting for your review iAudiogate.I also hate players with pronounced highs.Have a look on Ampliflac try free one and post your impression in compariso to other you have.

OK! Here's my ill-advised hot-take on iAudiogate: I'm impressed. Based on a very initial listen, it's as good as I'd hoped based on reading other comments.

I only A/B'd it with Onkyo Player, but the two apps definitely sound different. Both sound great, but iAudiogate has a distinctive presence that is unique. The sub-bass is fuller and more present. Details throughout the frequency spectrum are more present. It seems to me to be brighter than Onkyo Player by a hair. (I know others have said iAudiogate has a darker tone, and I'm sure that's true compared to Kaisertone, but I think compared to Onkyo, iAudiogate is a shade brighter. It is not, however, uncomfortably bright to me.)

The best way for me to describe iAudiogate's sound signature is it sounds like there is subtle, sweet compression on the audio signal that pulls things forward a bit. It doesn't affect the dynamic range (as far as I can tell) or create pumping and breathing effects. It just draws out the softer elements to make the sound full and enveloping. I don't know if they are actually applying a compression algorithm—I suspect not. 

Again, this is a very initial impression after about an hour of listening. 

Jul 17, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #130 of 855

I saw it, but I haven't tried NePlayer. Will be interested to hear your thoughts.

Jul 18, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #133 of 855

Are you using NePlayer with an external DAC or native through the iPhone headphone jack?

Jul 18, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #134 of 855
Are you using NePlayer with an external DAC or native through the iPhone headphone jack?

Amazingly enough, I am using it just to feed my Chord Mojo DAC/amp. Considering all I want is the cleanest, bit perfect signal I am further amazed in the variation in sound from KaiserTone, iAudiogate, Onkyo and NePlayer.

I should have bought a $3,500 AK 380 then I would be stuck with one software. We suffer an embarrassment of riches with the iPod Touch.

I added Neutron Player to my review but I cannot seem to disable the downsampling function. It outputs everything at 32/44.1 so it is out.

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #135 of 855
Okay after three days and too many comparisons I have settled on an application. I tested Neutron Player, KaiserTone, iAudiogate, Onkyo HF Player and NePlayer ($65 in app purchases). Please realize I am using an iPod Touch 6th generation just as a digital storage device feeding my Chord Mojo DAC/Amp then analog into the Shure KSE1500. As I stated above, considering I am just using the iPod Touch as a digital transport I was surprised by the variance in the sound from each app. Let me begin by briefly explaining why I did not like the others before I pick a winner.

Neutron Player was out because it output all my files at 16/44.1 and I could not figure how to get a bit perfect signal. KaiserTone is out because it is a bit flat and lacks the musicality of Onkyo. iAudiogate sound a touch too warm and the soundstage was compressed/congested compared to all the others. NePlayer had the best details but I felt it was at the expense of being a bit artificially bright. I do not think any of the apps tested with the exception of Neutron (downsampling problem) would be a poor choice as I have learned it is all about synergy with your personal rig and tastes.

The winner was Onkyo HF Player it had the best overall sound with unfortunately the worst user interface but ultimately the best sound.

[i edited this post]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back