Audiophile iOS audio player
Jun 13, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #106 of 855
KaiserTone may go to the dustbin. I have the upsampling turned off yet when I switched albums my Mojo indicated it was outputting a 16/44.1 album at 24/192. I did a hard reset on my iPod Touch and it appears to have stopped upsampling however if it continues to happen back to Onkyo I go.

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #107 of 855
sstyle excellent comparison, thank you!

Tried the westone player. The presets work pretty good with my umpro-s. But pretty basic app otherwise.

And btw, foobar recently released their ios & android apps. Free, very good sound as always and plays all formats. And a bonus surprise, the upnp player is excellent.

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #109 of 855
@sstyle excellent comparison, thank you!

Tried the westone player. The presets work pretty good with my umpro-s. But pretty basic app otherwise.

And btw, foobar recently released their ios & android apps. Free, very good sound as always and plays all formats. And a bonus surprise, the upnp player is excellent.

Thanks! I will try. Foobar shows a album-art in album-list - that is good. ReplayGain support. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #110 of 855
Thanks! I will try. Foobar shows a album-art in album-list - that is good. ReplayGain support. 

For a first-version, the Foobar app is quite amazing. And generally a very good app. Intuitive, configurable, plays everything .. it instantly became my player of choice (used 10+ others in the past, even paid for some).
And btw, maybe you can add a FR measurement for Foobar too .. the power numbers would also be very interesting, I hope it is not a battery hog like neutron.

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #111 of 855
KaiserTone may go to the dustbin. I have the upsampling turned off yet when I switched albums my Mojo indicated it was outputting a 16/44.1 album at 24/192. I did a hard reset on my iPod Touch and it appears to have stopped upsampling however if it continues to happen back to Onkyo I go.

I have not had the upsampling problem and after listening to KaiserTone for a few days I doubt I would switch back as the increase in the width of the soundstage compared to Onkyo is worth it.

Jun 14, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #112 of 855
For a first-version, the Foobar app is quite amazing. And generally a very good app. Intuitive, configurable, plays everything .. it instantly became my player of choice (used 10+ others in the past, even paid for some).
And btw, maybe you can add a FR measurement for Foobar too .. the power numbers would also be very interesting, I hope it is not a battery hog like neutron.

Agreed with you! Just updated my previous post, add a Foobar2000 and load graphs - http://www.head-fi.org/t/699741/audiophile-ios-audio-player/90#post_12648935

I think that the FLAC Player by Dan Leehr and the Foobar2000 is a best choice. Will try to compare it to my ears.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:45 PM Post #113 of 855
Hmmm.. Bite the bullet and bought KaiserTone without trying it (since there is no trial or lite version)... Now, I have off the upsampling and eq was set to off, but DoP is set to on with max PCM sampling rate at 192k. I played a few songs through it and definitely could hear difference between them (taking note that it's just the phone to CIEM, no amp/dac/etc).

I noticed that when the song was playing, there is a small note to show what is the sampling rate (for the song), so does that means it's definitely not upsampling?

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:58 PM Post #114 of 855
Hmmm.. Bite the bullet and bought KaiserTone without trying it (since there is no trial or lite version)... Now, I have off the upsampling and eq was set to off, but DoP is set to on with max PCM sampling rate at 192k. I played a few songs through it and definitely could hear difference between them (taking note that it's just the phone to CIEM, no amp/dac/etc).

I noticed that when the song was playing, there is a small note to show what is the sampling rate (for the song), so does that means it's definitely not upsampling?

Yes. The Chord Mojo is dead accurate about the sampling rate and since that one glitch the KaiserTone and the Mojo have been in complete agreement as to sampling rate.

Let me add, I do not want people to be turned off by my earlier post. One glitch does not mean it is not generally transmitting a bit perfect signal. I should note, it happened after I just dumped 100GB of music with sample rates of 16/44.1, 24/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2 and 24/96. I believe KaiserTone is a better sounding app than Onkyo.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:32 PM Post #115 of 855
There's was an update for Kaisertone over the weekend... Some bug fixes and an audio engine update ... You may wish to check again.

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #116 of 855
Made an A/B test for FLAC Player vs Foobar2000. Sounds very closer. I prefer a FLAC Player, because it has a SFTP downloading, slightly less power consumption and more user-friendly. BUT if you looking for free-app - Foobar2000 is a best choice.

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #117 of 855
If someone can send a kaisertone ipa file for me (you can take it from itunes media library) - it would be great, I will try it too.

Jun 15, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #118 of 855
There was a mistake in graph with load (very high THD). Updated now.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #120 of 855

Users who are viewing this thread

Back