Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Feb 12, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #121 of 343

Seriously. After two years of not going on Headfi, popping my head back in recently, and seeing peoples' posts, it seems like things have only gotten worse. Or at least remained stagnant.

When I saw these headphones at NAMM it took me by surprise and I was actually really intrigued by the sound, so I decided to post in a thread like this for old times sake. I regret it a little bit, haha.

There is a lot of bull-shiit here as well as many fantastic and in-depth posts, no surprise since the user-base here is huge, so you just need to keep your filter on.
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #122 of 343
Exactly.  I think newcomers to the hobby aren't served well to spend too much time here, as they can get simply overwhelmed and confused and don't have enough knowledge / experience to filter the valuable info from the junk.  That's why when I'm on non-headphone forums and somebody asks a headphone question and somebody inevitably sends them to head-fi to learn, I hate to see that.  They're better off at innerfidelity.com or headphone.com to begin by learning basic info before they come here.

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #124 of 343
  Why regret it?  It benefits people to learn of new products.  We each need to decide for ourselves whether we like the sound of something or not, with our gear, with our music and source.  I don't think most people would purchase or not purchase just based on listening impression of just a few members of head-fi.  I find impressions interesting and of some value, but get what I consider more valuable information about things like build quality, earcup size and construction, etc.   

I didn't really mean it in that way. It's just that I sort of forgot about the pathetic side of hifi culture and it grossed me out to witness it again, haha.

There is a lot of bull-shiit here as well as many fantastic and in-depth posts, no surprise since the user-base here is huge, so you just need to keep your filter on.
wink.gif

Yup. You have to learn who you should and shouldn't take seriously.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #125 of 343
Impressions need to written including the music being listened to. That is the main reason there is so much disparity. For a blatant example: Someone who listens to Hip Hop and someone who listens to classical are going to have radically different impressions of a pair of headphones. How loud one listens, at least roughly, is important as well.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #126 of 343
Impressions need to written including the music being listened to. That is the main reason there is so much disparity. For a blatant example: Someone who listens to Hip Hop and someone who listens to classical are going to have radically different impressions of a pair of headphones. How loud one listens, at least roughly, is important as well.

I completely agree. Also the source and other gear.

Feb 17, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #128 of 343
Sweet!

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #129 of 343
hold up here on the r70x. 99 db at 1khz per 1 mw at 470 ohms, it seems like overall, it would provide similar volume to the akg k701. But since it is higher impedance, there is less effect from the amp's output impedance. and current matters less, so it seems like it would be easier to drive than that popular series of headphones.

Feb 17, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #130 of 343
Thanks for the review.  I have a feeling I'm going to have to spend an awful lot of money for it to be worth replacing my ATH-M50s.  Glad I got them for as cheap as I did.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #131 of 343
  Thanks for the review.  I have a feeling I'm going to have to spend an awful lot of money for it to be worth replacing my ATH-M50s.  Glad I got them for as cheap as I did.

Nothing will replace M50 and M50LE. They are good in their own way. Though old, they're still some of the best models from Audio-Technica. Many of the newer models don't sound as good as the old M50 and M50LE.

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #132 of 343

+1
Very true!

Feb 17, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #133 of 343

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #135 of 343
So perhaps they just took the 45mm M50x drivers, upgraded the housing, and thus M70x.
Slightly deeper cups due to thicker pads, and the pads have a bigger opening, just as M50x drivers need for their best sound in my experience, then there's more going on with the filtered bass ports surrounding each driver.  Now I just need to see the cups' interior.

Edit:
  Oh, come on, really?
normal_smile%20.gif
There are better options in terms of pure technical features like resolution, more balanced sound etc. It's not like AT is a bad headphone, don't get me wrong

At greater prices like K545, sure thing.  I'm certain HD800 is a whopping upgrade from M50(x).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back