Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Feb 17, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #136 of 343

Nice review thanks! 
So it is all about the Bass. 
I do a little of recording and mixing myself. I don't really get it why people often associate thin sounding headphone with studio monitoring. I know that I cannot use bassy headphone for monitoring, as the bass will be super annoying when I try to hear details. But it doesn't mean that the bass has to be thin either. From my own experience, monitoring headphones must be good in detail retrieval, but not necessarily thin sounding. Especially for mixing and mastering, the monitoring headphone should sound realistic enough, and that means sufficient bass (not too much).
Anyway, M50 also positioned and professional monitoring headphones, and already used worldwide. And it has good bass. So nothing wrong to have good bass for monitoring headphone, in fact it is a must.
It would be really useful if the review could mention, roughly, how many dBs is the bass differences between the M50 and M70x. We can use EQ and see how much bass adjustment required to equalize M50 and M70x bass.

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #137 of 343

Nice review thanks! 
So it is all about the Bass. 
I do a little of recording and mixing myself. I don't really get it why people often associate thin sounding headphone with studio monitoring. I know that I cannot use bassy headphone for monitoring, as the bass will be super annoying when I try to hear details. But it doesn't mean that the bass has to be thin either. From my own experience, monitoring headphones must be good in detail retrieval, but not necessarily thin sounding. Especially for mixing and mastering, the monitoring headphone should sound realistic enough, and that means sufficient bass (not too much).
Anyway, M50 also positioned and professional monitoring headphones, and already used worldwide. And it has good bass. So nothing wrong to have good bass for monitoring headphone, in fact it is a must.
It would be really useful if the review could mention, roughly, how many dBs is the bass differences between the M50 and M70x. We can use EQ and see how much bass adjustment required to equalize M50 and M70x bass.

Not to mention if the sound is either thin or thick, bright or dark, brittle or smooth.

He gave it his best effort, and I applaud him for that. 

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #138 of 343
Originally Posted by Mad Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Edit:

At greater prices like K545, sure thing.  I'm certain HD800 is a whopping upgrade from M50(x).

Don't know about K545, never heard it. I've given up on AKG long time ago after trying K550
Well, HD800 is in another league, isn't it?
normal_smile .gif
  You don't need to go that high for another step up from M50
wink_face.gif

Feb 17, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #139 of 343
Originally Posted by earfonia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just another ad campaign for increasing sales
Dunno who are using it for monitoring purposes, and even if smb is, well, whatever. IMHO, it might be suitable for mixing, but for the "monitoring" purpose they forgot to put mids and other stuff in M50
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #140 of 343
  Oh, come on, really?
normal_smile%20.gif
There are better options among closed, not expensive headphones in terms of pure technical features like resolution, balance, natural sound etc. It's not like AT is a bad headphone, don't get me wrong

My comment is in context of Audio-Technica closed headphones models. in the context of Audio-Technica range, probably only MSR7 I can say technically slightly better than M50, but not necessary musically more enjoyable. If you're talking other brands, sure, there are plenty out there that might suit individual preference better. From my collection, Shure SRH840 and SoundMagic HP100 could be technically better. But still, they might not be as successful as M50 when we are looking at popularity.

Feb 17, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #141 of 343
  Not to mention if the sound is either thin or thick, bright or dark, brittle or smooth.

He gave it his best effort, and I applaud him for that. 

Yes, his review is good, no doubt!
And you're right, he only mentioned less bass.

I'm saying about general comments I read on reviews, that many put 'less bass' feature as something required for studio monitoring that I tend to disagree. Not too bassy or not too much bass for studio monitoring, that's I agree.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #143 of 343

Yes, his review is good, no doubt!
And you're right, he only mentioned less bass.

I'm saying about general comments I read on reviews, that many put 'less bass' feature as something required for studio monitoring that I tend to disagree. Not too bassy or not too much bass for studio monitoring, that's I agree.

Ahh that's what you meant. I also get bothered by the fact that people assume flat means a lack of bass, when in fact, I would consider the msr7 the true headphone capable of studio monitoring. 

I consider that comment offending. What's your reason for that?
FYI, I'm not working for Audio-Technica.

I agree, and not many people provide some alternatives for the same price point. The headphones have to be closed-back, $150, and sound great.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:04 AM Post #144 of 343
  Ahh that's what you meant. I also get bothered by the fact that people assume flat means a lack of bass, when in fact, I would consider the msr7 the true headphone capable of studio monitoring. 

After using MSR7 for about 3 months now, I agree. MSR7 does have the capability and fidelity for studio monitoring. The level of bass is just right, and detail retrieval is good.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #148 of 343
Just FYI these are today's Amazon deal of the day and are $129. today:

http://amzn.to/17glGQ5

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #150 of 343
I bought a pair of the Audio Technica ATH-M70x's and they arrived last Thursday.  Before I get to the sound let me start with the pros and cons (in my opinion) of these vs the M50x.  M70x Pro: Much more comfortable fit for my big ears.  M70x Con: The headband.  I don't feel it's quite as comfortable as the M50x. That being said,  overall I prefer wearing the M70X for longer periods of time.  M70x Pro: I think they look better than the M50x.  They seem to be built of a little higher quality but I'm not sure that justifies the difference in price. 

Now on to the sound.  I have been burning the M70x in constantly since Thursday and I can confirm the sound does change quite a bit from when I first listened to them upon opening them.  Out of the box they sounded very tinny, ear piercing treble, little to no bass presence.  I immediately thought to myself that these were definitely getting returned.  Now after these past few days of burn in I'm not so sure.  The sound has improved immensely.  They no longer sound tinny, treble has smoothed out quite a bit, still might be too much for some, but just about right for me.  The bass is much more present now than when I first opened them.  It's just not as impactful as the M50xbl which I own but it's there,  just in a smaller,  maybe even more precise quality.  After switching back and forth between the two headphones, the M50x sound a bit muddier and the M70x much clearer and cleaner.  One thing I have noticed is I prefer listening to Sirius Talk Radio,  Movies and TV wearing the new M70x.  The level of clarity is just so much better than the M50x especially where dialogue is concerned. On music I'm even understanding lyrics, I had previously misheard.   The M70x are definately not for bass lovers to be sure.  Stick with the M50 varieties.  If you like clean, clear, crisp, with a good soundstage and better mids (again just my opinion) than the M50 you might give these a shot.  I will go back and forth with each headphone and think certain songs sound much more musical on the M70x and then other songs I definitely prefer on the M50x. I'll probably keep both.  I think I would regret giving up the M70x's. I'll definately keep my M50xbl because they sound great and look great too (pictures don't do them justice).

On a side note there is a difference in sound quality between the black M50x I have and the blue/tan M50xbl.  The BL sound so much better than the M50x in black.  Not sure why.  Production variations maybe.  I need to sell my black M50x.  Maybe I'll put them on Ebay or something. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back