Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Feb 18, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #151 of 343
I bought a pair of the Audio Technica ATH-M70x's and they arrived last Thursday.  Before I get to the sound let me start with the pros and cons (in my opinion) of these vs the M50x.  M70x Pro: Much more comfortable fit for my big ears.  M70x Con: The headband.  I don't feel it's quite as comfortable as the M50x. That being said,  overall I prefer wearing the M70X for longer periods of time.  M70x Pro: I think they look better than the M50x.  They seem to be built of a little higher quality but I'm not sure that justifies the difference in price. 

Now on to the sound.  I have been burning the M70x in constantly since Thursday and I can confirm the sound does change quite a bit from when I first listened to them upon opening them.  Out of the box they sounded very tinny, ear piercing treble, little to no bass presence.  I immediately thought to myself that these were definitely getting returned.  Now after these past few days of burn in I'm not so sure.  The sound has improved immensely.  They no longer sound tinny, treble has smoothed out quite a bit, still might be too much for some, but just about right for me.  The bass is much more present now than when I first opened them.  It's just not as impactful as the M50xbl which I own but it's there,  just in a smaller,  maybe even more precise quality.  After switching back and forth between the two headphones, the M50x sound a bit muddier and the M70x much clearer and cleaner.  One thing I have noticed is I prefer listening to Sirius Talk Radio,  Movies and TV wearing the new M70x.  The level of clarity is just so much better than the M50x especially where dialogue is concerned. On music I'm even understanding lyrics, I had previously misheard.   The M70x are definately not for bass lovers to be sure.  Stick with the M50 varieties.  If you like clean, clear, crisp, with a good soundstage and better mids (again just my opinion) than the M50 you might give these a shot.  I will go back and forth with each headphone and think certain songs sound much more musical on the M70x and then other songs I definitely prefer on the M50x. I'll probably keep both.  I think I would regret giving up the M70x's. I'll definately keep my M50xbl because they sound great and look great too (pictures don't do them justice).

On a side note there is a difference in sound quality between the black M50x I have and the blue/tan M50xbl.  The BL sound so much better than the M50x in black.  Not sure why.  Production variations maybe.  I need to sell my black M50x.  Maybe I'll put them on Ebay or something. 

Very nice impressions! Thanks for sharing! Not sure I would want a thinner sounding headphone than the m50x...

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #153 of 343
I don't really care what people on reddit have to say about headphones tbh, I want to hear a AD2000 vs R70x comparison. The AD2000 is justabout the only Audio Technica headphone I wan't want to own besides their high-end woodies.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #154 of 343
  I don't really care what people on reddit have to say about headphones tbh, I want to hear a AD2000 vs R70x comparison. The AD2000 is justabout the only Audio Technica headphone I wan't want to own besides their high-end woodies.

I haven't really seen much on the r70x but I just watched a good video review on the m70x.
I'll link it after work :wink:

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #155 of 343
Has anyone compared the M70X to the Alpha Dogs or the SRH 1540? I know these 2 cans cost more, but it's an interesting comparison. I suppose at this price point, the V-Moda M100 would be the direct competitor, but it's less of a monitor, and more of a mainstream bass-heavy type of can.

Alpha Dogs seems like a more interesting comparison because they are both neutral headphones (SRH 1540 is somewhat "bass biased", although it probably wins in terms of sheer comfort).

Mar 20, 2015 at 4:28 AM Post #159 of 343
  The m50's were definitely good for mixing.  Wonder how much of and improvement the m70x is? Tbh II'm far more interested in them oped backs :p

I have M50, and yesterday audition M70x in an exhibition. Only around 10 minutes test with a few songs I familiar with. Early impressions, M70x sounds much brighter and more analytical than M50. The good side, it sounds very transparent, with enhanced detail and clarity. Imaging sounds very spacious for closed cans. The bass is less than M50, but has good quality and extension. Although treble level is higher than the bass level, but low frequency harmonics are quite rich. The bad side, most probably to bright for most people. From the short audition, M70x seems to be targeted for professionals, as surgical knife, for sound engineer to do sound editing and mixing, when they need highly detailed and revealing headphones to hear minute flaws, clicks, pops, or other unwanted noises, to remove them from the mix. Too bright for general music listening.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #160 of 343
Received a loan of review sample from Audio-Technica Singapore 2 days ago 
normal_smile .gif

I'm loving it 
L3000.gif

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #162 of 343
  I hope it doesn't sound thin, or harsh, or bright, or lacking bass...

No it is not 
wink_face.gif

On the contrary, it sounds very smooth, ruler flat from bass to around lower treble, slightly rolled off gently on the upper treble. Bass is very good, slightly more than T1, but still on the reference kind of bass tonality, not a bassy headphone. Overall tonality pretty close to Philips Fidelio X1. Sweet, smooth, slightly warm.

We have enough relatively analytical reference headphones, HD800, T1, K812. I don't think we need more 
tongue.gif

R70x tonality is quite surprising to me, rather different than the AD series, better bass and less colored, very neutral tonality in a good way, not dull or boring. It's really a good addition to professional reference headphone lines, that probably dominated with analytical headphones.

Mar 21, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #163 of 343

No it is not 
wink_face.gif

On the contrary, it sounds very smooth, ruler flat from bass to around lower treble, slightly rolled off gently on the upper treble. Bass is very good, slightly more than T1, but still on the reference kind of bass tonality, not a bassy headphone. Overall tonality pretty close to Philips Fidelio X1. Sweet, smooth, slightly warm.

We have enough relatively analytical reference headphones, HD800, T1, K812. I don't think we need more 
tongue.gif

R70x tonality is quite surprising to me, rather different than the AD series, better bass and less colored, very neutral tonality in a good way, not dull or boring. It's really a good addition to professional reference headphone lines, that probably dominated with analytical headphones.

I forgot to say this, but your pictures were very good. I love the design of the ath-r70xs. I have one last question, is the build quality better than the ADX series?

And thanks, now I want to buy it immediately, why didn't you just lie?! lol.

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #164 of 343
  I forgot to say this, but your pictures were very good. I love the design of the ath-r70xs. I have one last question, is the build quality better than the ADX series?

And thanks, now I want to buy it immediately, why didn't you just lie?! lol.

tongue.gif

When I took it out from the box, I was surprised how light it is. Very2 light. Probably the lightest full size reference headphone I ever tried. So overall, it is very comfortable, although the cup is not as big as the comfy HD800 cup.
Build quality is good, but design wise, very utilitarian design, IMHO AD series looks a little nicer. Like R70x is saying, I'm designed by engineer for engineer. So, not aesthetically as beautiful as MSR7 or the Wooden series. But it is lighter than them, therefore more comfortable for long hours of use.

Mar 21, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #165 of 343

tongue.gif

When I took it out from the box, I was surprised how light it is. Very2 light. Probably the lightest full size reference headphone I ever tried. So overall, it is very comfortable, although the cup is not as big as the comfy HD800 cup.
Build quality is good, but design wise, very utilitarian design, IMHO AD series looks a little nicer. Like R70x is saying, I'm designed by engineer for engineer. So, not aesthetically as beautiful as MSR7 or the Wooden series. But it is lighter than them, therefore more comfortable for long hours of use.

I'm getting the ath-r70x someday then, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back