Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Jan 24, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #47 of 343
  Does it really matter? It's 2015, not 1990.
They're also targeting professionals, not audiophiles who refuse to buy anything from China.

Agreed.

Most of the major headphone manufacturers have at least one factory in a low-wage country, but that factory is 100% managed and operated by the company whose goods are made there.  This allows the company to keep production costs down to a minimum but still maintain direct quality control over all production at the factory.

So as long as the company maintains a high quality level at the factory, it shouldn't matter where the product is made, as far as product quality is concerned.

Jan 24, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #48 of 343
Point made :)

Jan 24, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #49 of 343

Their severe degrade in build quality and design compared to their predecessors. I don't think there is anything too special about their sound either.

Interesting.  I went from the AD900 to the AD900x, I like the X better.  The ear cups on the x are definitely better, and the wings are a bit better as well. Overall, though I think there is still room for improvement in the design.  Build quality for the price I think is pretty solid.

Sound-wise, the X has more bass and a more refined treble, sibilance was occasionally a problem on the original 900.   The upper mid range peakiness the 900 had is gone as well.  I think they're pretty refined but detailed, but everyone has they're own preferences.

Jan 24, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #50 of 343
They're also targeting professionals, not audiophiles who refuse to buy anything from China.
... Are you forgetting about FiiO and Hifiman?

Jan 24, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #51 of 343
Really interested in the M70x, the M50x I got I was very impressed with. Great for rock which is my main choice of music. Looks like they'll sell for $300.00. That's about what the fidelio x2 goes for. I think I'll wait for some impressions/ comparisons to come in before I pull the trigger. Meantime I can brace my bank account for the hit!

Jan 24, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #52 of 343

... Are you forgetting about FiiO and Hifiman?

And iBasso who's DX50 I use, didn't even think about that. I'm dumb lol. I retract my comment above.

Jan 24, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #53 of 343
  Saw the R70x at NAMM earlier today, didn't even know they existed before I wandered past the AT booth. An open AT headphone with wing system, velour pads, and a detachable cable WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE ESPECIALLY WHEN I WAS ACTUALLY INTO HEADFI.

Anyways, it was a super noisy convention environment so it's hard to say anything too specific about the sound and you shouldn't take anything I say very seriously, but I also demoed the M70x, HD600/650, TH600/900, and some high or at least highish end Sony headphones I can't remember the names of, and I was way more impressed by these than all of them. It must be noted however that I have a massive raging Audio Technica fetish when it comes to headphones.

They felt super comfortable, for me at least. Not so loose that they're falling off my head like the A700, but not so clampy that the drivers are pressing into my ears like the AD2000.

Oh, and yeah 470 ohms isn't a typo.

What can you tell us about the sound?

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #56 of 343
  What can you tell us about the sound?

Mostly nothing. The only thing I can say with certainty is that even in a noisy convention environment, I was able to hear the bass and it didn't sound super thin or like I was being instantly bombarded with giant treble spikes, which is something I can't even say about certain closed headphones.

Things I can't say with certainty are that the bass struck me as a lot tighter and less boomy than all the other headphones I mentioned in my first post. Whether that suggests the possibility of hypothetical reactions such as "thank science, who needs muddy sound and bass slam headaches" or "lame they must be thin and bass light," I leave to the reader's imagination. The treble also struck me as less compressed sounding (I mean like an actual compressor) than the others, and the overall sound smoother and less grainy. HOWEVER, once again noisy convention environment and I wasn't able to listen to the exact same recordings across headphones (except with the M70x), so this is all highly speculative.

Oh, and just to be perfectly clear, I've been talking about the R70x.

Jan 26, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #59 of 343
  Interested in the R70x, not sure about the impedance... maybe it'll be an "easy" to drive 470 like the DT880/990 600.

99 dB efficiency suggests it shouldn't be too hard to drive.  I'd love to hear the R70x on some high end OTL tube amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back