Audio-Technica debuts three new pairs of headphones ATH-R70x, ATH-M70x and ATH-M50xDG
Jan 26, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #61 of 343
I was thinking these were for March for some reason. May is a terrible release time! Tax time is soon! People get itchy with all that play money.

Jan 27, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #62 of 343

99 dB efficiency suggests it shouldn't be too hard to drive.  I'd love to hear the R70x on some high end OTL tube amps.

99db per what exactly, per volt?  Not specifying is lame.  470 ohms will not be EASY to drive no matter what, without a decent amp.  Keep in mind that you need enough power to provide headroom for dynamic peaks.  I have a sansa clip, putting out 0.5V, and a JDS O2 amp with selectable gain of 1 or 2.5.  I don't think even at its higher gain setting it would be sufficient.  If I get this phone, I will probably have to modify the amp to 2.5 / 6.5 selectable gain or maybe pick up a fiio X player which has a higher line out voltage.

Jan 27, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #63 of 343
a piece of cake...470ohms.... 130ohms short of 600. :p

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #64 of 343
  ATH-R70x Specifications:
  1. Driver: 45 mm
  2. Frequency Response: 5-40,000 Hz
  3. Maximum Input Power; 1,000 mW
  4. Sensitivity: 98dB at 1 kHz
  5. Impedance: 470 ohms

Why, AT?  Just why?

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #65 of 343
  a piece of cake...470ohms.... 130ohms short of 600. :p

The impedance curve will probably go quite beyond 600 in the bass. 
ph34r.gif

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #67 of 343
  There are some advantages to a headphone with high impedance. A higher impedance allows for more turns of wire to be used in the voice coil of the driver. This can improve how a headphone sounds and is the reason why Beyerdynamic's higher impedance models sound slightly better than their low-impedance versions.

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #69 of 343
Thanks for that, never saw that before.  

Their headphone sensitivity is in db per mw.  Still, why not just state that on the product specs on the packaging, instead of making you go to the website to find out they specify sensitivity that way.  That's unusual, its usually per volt with other manufacturers, in fact AT uses per 1 volt with their mic specifications.  I guess AT just likes to be different.

It corresponds to about 0.7 volts at least at 1khz at 470 ohms, for a 98 db SPL.  If the impedance rises significantly as frequency varies, that requirement would be higher.  Based on the limited info they provide, it looks only moderately difficult to drive, though most portables would probably be struggle.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #70 of 343
Thanks for that, never saw that before.  

Their headphone sensitivity is in db per mw.  Still, why not just state that on the product specs on the packaging, instead of making you go to the website to find out they specify sensitivity that way.
Having followed A-T since 2005 from their introduction of the AT-20 Mics, they've always been different. But yes the 'Conditions' link are provided under their product page when you click on specifications. It's been like that for a while now.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #71 of 343

Why, AT?  Just why?

Lol my exact reaction when I first read it....:D
It's an open backed can made for home use and priced at 350$ on amazon currently. I'd assume most looking for any midrange open backed headphone would have a dedicated amplifier with a good amount of power output...

At least its not the M70X that has the high impedance.

Jan 28, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #72 of 343
It's an open backed can made for home use and priced at 350$ on amazon currently. I'd assume most looking for any midrange open backed headphone would have a dedicated amplifier with a good amount of power output...

At least its not the M70X that has the high impedance.

True enough, but some people do use some of the better sounding, but less powerful DAP's, like Sansa Clip, even to drive their headphones at home.  This one will likely NEED an amp or a higher output source.  The AD-2000X, which is priced much higher, also fits that usage description but is much easier to drive.  

People have very high expectations for this phone, but we should keep in mind that price-wise, it falls around the AD1000X, uses a smaller driver (for whatever that's worth), so expectations may be a little over-hyped.  Personally, I hope it does sound great, when AT does things right, they are very very good.

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #74 of 343
I often run my M50xBL off a Dragonfly or Explorer and either way, it seems like that does a great job and there is not much sense in moving up from there.  I have tried my NAD D1050 and Gustard H10 and I think there is not all that much of a difference stepping up to either of those.  But going from my phone or laptop to the Dragonfly or Explorer, it is a nice jump and just seems to firm everything up, clear away a little bit of the congestion and show the M50x at it's best IMHO.  I think the Dragonfly/HD600 is the best audiophile value on the planet, and the M50x is still the best pure headphone value as well.  Two great classics that have their detractors but still bring home the bacon for most of us.

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #75 of 343

Yes I just got my dragonfly today and my m50s sound amazing!

I often run my M50xBL off a Dragonfly or Explorer and either way, it seems like that does a great job and there is not much sense in moving up from there.  I have tried my NAD D1050 and Gustard H10 and I think there is not all that much of a difference stepping up to either of those.  But going from my phone or laptop to the Dragonfly or Explorer, it is a nice jump and just seems to firm everything up, clear away a little bit of the congestion and show the M50x at it's best IMHO.  I think the Dragonfly/HD600 is the best audiophile value on the planet, and the M50x is still the best pure headphone value as well.  Two great classics that have their detractors but still bring home the bacon for most of us.

Sorry to kinda steer this thread a different discussion but do you guys think it is worth 'upgrading' from a Fiio Andes E07K to an Explorer(2) or a Dragonfly (either version)?

If so, I am wondering if they can connect to the 'male micro-B to USB' cable that the Andes came with.

EDIT: I will be using them for at home purposes and on my M50S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back