Audio Technica ATH-WS70: Newest Addition To The Family
Feb 23, 2010 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

syke

100+ Head-Fier
I have just got myself a brand spanking new ATH-WWS70. A new addition to the Audio Technica Solid Bass line up.

Just like any new toy, I am excited what beholds me when this baby is fully burned in.

Straight off the shelf... The ATH-WS70 is slighter larger than my ATH-ES7, sturdier as well (which is a bloody good thing).

Very much prefer the etched aluminum housing to the fingerprint magnet ES7.

At zero hour, I would describe the WS70 in a sentence... A can with tight bass and nice highs.

Compared to my Sony XB700s, it has a tat lesser but "better managed" bass. And it feels like more details are present with the better highs.

It's not harsh or straight smack in the face like the Ultrasone Pro750 (not that I dislike the Ultrasone, it just reminds me of Peter Pinna).
o2smile.gif

So far, I am liking it... Working out well with my very intention of having a can on the go.

Let me put in the hours, and i will come back with a detailed review. Meanwhile, here are some pictures to wet your appetite.
wink_face.gif

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_5160.jpg

IMG_5159.jpg

IMG_5158.jpg

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 59
I like the design kinda... Bet they sound good too as you said. In the near future I´m going to get some portable cans, and at the moment I sure do love Audio-Technica. =D

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 59
I have been looking for as set of portable cans, and was about to settle on the ES7. You have definitely caught my attention with the WS70! How much do they cost and were did you get them from, I cant seem to find them? Haven't heard any Audio Technica's before and I want to snag a set. Also considering picking up some A700's too.

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolfan26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been looking for as set of portable cans, and was about to settle on the ES7. You have definitely caught my attention with the WS70! How much do they cost and were did you get them from, I cant seem to find them? Haven't heard any Audio Technica's before and I want to snag a set. Also considering picking up some A700's too.

A quick google search tells me that they're $130 to $170, with AudioCubes stocking them at $150.

Dude, they looking friggin' sweet. Unfortunately, I can't justify getting a new pair of headphones at the moment. I'm taking a break from the good ol' head-fi spirit.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 59
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your interest!

I have some bad news though... Just last night when testing out for low frequencies. I noticed a rattling noise on the right. After much fiddling, I concluded some loose part in the shell was the culprit. So I am going RMA this one and have AT fix my problem.

At the mean time, I will reply to your queries to the best of my short experience with the WS70.

I paid for this at around USD120, which is a steal comparing to what Audiocubes is retailing them for. But then again, I am residing in Hong Kong.
tongue_smile.gif
(But I am always happy to help anyone to look out for headphones not available in the US. Bulk buy?)

Now how well do they sit? I have fairly large ears, and fortunately they don't "sit" on my ears, rather they are "cupping" them. However, do note they are shallow in terms of ear space. Therefore after 3 hours of non-stop listening, my ears do start to feel a little sore.

Build quality. Other than the little nuisance I have, they are very well built indeed. Well weighted, and stiff. Not light or flimsy like the Denon D2000.
atsmile.gif

Clamping force is on the high side. They sit well and have a firm hold on my head. Hmmmm.......

Bass... It's tight, well managed and it hits you fairly hard. They come fast and decay fairly quickly. Comparing to my XB700, they don't go as low. Bass becomes audible from 5Hz onwards with the XB700, but for the WS70 I could only manage from 10Hz onwards.

I can't say much for mids & highs yet, as I spent most of the time burnin' them with pink noise. What I can say are the highs and mids aren't washed out. The highs are there and detailed, mids are alright. Overall, a more forward sounding closed set of headphones. They have certainly impressed me on certain genres of music, but left me a little wanting for more for others.

In a closed environment, they sound good (just 1 or 2 notches down from the Ultrasone Pro750 in terms engagement). In a noisy environment, the mids seem be the weakest link. They do prevent much noise from going out but not from coming in.

Then again, it's too early too make a judgement as they aren't fully burned in yet. Already there was a marked improvement sonically from zero hour to 36 hours of burnin'.

Till the replacement is here... I suppose...

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damieni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
syke how did they compare sound wise to the ES7s?

The ES7 got relegated to office duties... What do you reckon?
wink_face.gif

Serious talk now... Not that the ES7 is bad. I just like a little boost in the bass department. With my preference in music (electronic, rock), the WS70 was filling the gap the ES7 was lacking. And that was an important factor for me.

Can't say much for the rest, as I did not spend enough time comparing both. But if I have to do a blind test, I would have definitely picked the WS70 over the ES7.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #13 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by syke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys,

Bass... It's tight, well managed and it hits you fairly hard. They come fast and decay fairly quickly. Comparing to my XB700, they don't go as low. Bass becomes audible from 5Hz onwards with the XB700, but for the WS70 I could only manage from 10Hz onwards.

Really? That might make you the first person in human history to hear anything below 12Hz*

[size=x-small]*20 Hz is considered the normal low frequency limit of human hearing. When pure sine waves are reproduced under ideal conditions and at very high volume, a human listener will be able to identify tones as low as 12 Hz. Olson, Harry F. (1967). Music, Physics and Engineering. Dover Publications. p. 249. ISBN 0486217698. Music, physics and engineering - Google Books.[/size]

Mar 8, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 59
yeah...I'd be interested in reading a review here!

Mar 8, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 59
They look serious compared to the es7's, I'm looking for a pair of office/portable phones and these look like the fit the bill. Hopefully AT will replace your headphone quickly!

Anyone order from acessoryjack vs. audiocubes? Which has faster shipping? It's a 1 dollar difference between the two right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back