Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Nov 3, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #736 of 906
Quote:
the pro700's have sub bass but its much less so, although what is there still dwarfs alot of other cans that are on the market, the most sub bass you'll ever get out of the pro700's are going to be with the stock pads, there is no getting around it, stiff shallow pads leave the drivers just millimeters from your ear so you feel the full weight of the slams, but its nothing in comparison to the 1000's, where the pro700's trump the xb's is as other people here have stated, mid bass

I can assure you that is a complete lie. 

Nov 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #737 of 906
Quote:
I can assure you that is a complete lie. 

have you ever done a side by side comparison between the gels and the stock pads? i have

the gels alter the sound the least from what i've seen in terms of bass bleed off, and they help preserve the overall signature along with widening the soundstage a bit and adding to the comfort, but they dont actually ADD any more subbass like you're trying to imply

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #738 of 906
Quote:

I don't know if you were joking, but I am not lying about the PRO700MK2's qualities. They are a very good basshead can that has excellent amping potential. It is quite punchy in its mid-bass, but there are more than a handful of cans which are bassier right out of the box. Nevertheless, the PRO700MK2 has good sub-bass performance, but the XB1000, XB700 and D2000 are very good at doing the same. All in all, if you have say an XB1000, you won't be getting much extra with a PRO700MK2. Besides, the XB1000 are way more comfortable.

So that's a no then right? With my Creative Titanium HD SC, these cans kick some serious ass. Without a REALLY nice source they are just another pair of cans with some decent bass and nothing special.

Nov 4, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #739 of 906
Quote:
So that's a no then right? With my Creative Titanium HD SC, these cans kick some serious ass. Without a REALLY nice source they are just another pair of cans with some decent bass and nothing special.

The PRO700MK2s have inherent great amping potential; like the XB1000, you can EQ the mid-bass to thundering levels without sacrificing too much by way of quality. At stock, though, it is a good basshead can that is quite tame in bass quantity when compared to other bass monsters out there.

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #740 of 906
Quote:
have you ever done a side by side comparison between the gels and the stock pads? i have

the gels alter the sound the least from what i've seen in terms of bass bleed off, and they help preserve the overall signature along with widening the soundstage a bit and adding to the comfort, but they dont actually ADD any more subbass like you're trying to imply

Sorry for the late response. I haven't been on teh interwebz much because of my computer problem, but I have compared the stock, m50, dt250, and gel earpads. 

Maybe it's because you have small ears, but I can't get a good sear around my ears with the stock pads (my dumbos prevent me). Like I've said in one of my previous posts, the reason why the xb series has so much bass quantity is because of their seal and the driver distance from your ears. There is a certain distance your ears have to be to get the best SPL from your headphones, and the gel earpads with something like tissue or cotton underneath them accomplish that. Since you have the gel earpads, you should know that they're too big for the headphone, and that they slide around a lot. The clamping force on the headphones help secure the pads to the headphones, but because they're not totally secured to the headphone, sound leakage is still possible. That's what I found out when I first got the gel earpads.

If you just have the gel earpads on without sealing them around the headphone, and without putting something underneath it, then of course you're aren't going to hear/feel more bass. When I first got the pads, the first thing that I did was I compared the stock to the dt250/cotton combo, and at first, the dt250 had more bass quantity. When I temporarily wrapped around some duct tape around the gel earpads, there was about the same bass quantity as the dt250/cotton combo, but it sounded a bit fuller and deeper because the gel's are able to create a great seal around my dumbos. With that said, it's evident that sound leakage negatively alters SPL. When I put some tissue underneath the duct-taped gels, there was even more bass impact, and it felt fuller because I could feel it reverberate behind my ears. Not to mention, the extra distance that tissue gives me makes the headphones more comfortable because they're not jammed against the driver. In fact, my ears don't even touch the drivers at all. 

I'm really interested in the XB1000s, though. If they have the same or better amping and eq'ing potential than the pros, then they have the potential to be the bassiest headphones on the market. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #743 of 906
b&h photo still has the beyer black gels, the og clear gels are out of production and can only be picked up on the 2nd hand market, also i dont think those can be put on the pro700's without tape or glue since if i remember correctly they dont have a lip unlike the black gels

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #744 of 906
Quote:
Sorry for the late response. I haven't been on teh interwebz much because of my computer problem, but I have compared the stock, m50, dt250, and gel earpads. 

Maybe it's because you have small ears, but I can't get a good sear around my ears with the stock pads (my dumbos prevent me). Like I've said in one of my previous posts, the reason why the xb series has so much bass quantity is because of their seal and the driver distance from your ears. There is a certain distance your ears have to be to get the best SPL from your headphones, and the gel earpads with something like tissue or cotton underneath them accomplish that. Since you have the gel earpads, you should know that they're too big for the headphone, and that they slide around a lot. The clamping force on the headphones help secure the pads to the headphones, but because they're not totally secured to the headphone, sound leakage is still possible. That's what I found out when I first got the gel earpads.

If you just have the gel earpads on without sealing them around the headphone, and without putting something underneath it, then of course you're aren't going to hear/feel more bass. When I first got the pads, the first thing that I did was I compared the stock to the dt250/cotton combo, and at first, the dt250 had more bass quantity. When I temporarily wrapped around some duct tape around the gel earpads, there was about the same bass quantity as the dt250/cotton combo, but it sounded a bit fuller and deeper because the gel's are able to create a great seal around my dumbos. With that said, it's evident that sound leakage negatively alters SPL. When I put some tissue underneath the duct-taped gels, there was even more bass impact, and it felt fuller because I could feel it reverberate behind my ears. Not to mention, the extra distance that tissue gives me makes the headphones more comfortable because they're not jammed against the driver. In fact, my ears don't even touch the drivers at all. 

I'm really interested in the XB1000s, though. If they have the same or better amping and eq'ing potential than the pros, then they have the potential to be the bassiest headphones on the market. 

when i was talking about bass earlier i was only talking in terms of sub bass, not bass overall or just midbass, also i cant speak on your account since yours is so heavily modified, i can only compare to stock phones with stock black gels 

but anyway, as for the xb1000's i cant really say about their eq potential because i pretty much enjoy them almost stock, only use h82 sonic harmonizer dsp on those unlike the pro700's where i go to town and chain up like 5 or 6 dsps and graphic eq's pumping out like 24db's of bass lol but if i had to hazard a guess, i would say they probably wont top the pro700's in overall bass if you eq'd them similarly. i mean i could be wrong i never tried but its sub bass where the xb1000 is king, these things put out an insane amount of air, like you mentioned b4 about spl, the seal is so insane and secure on certain songs you feel like this weird suction effect on your ear drums lol i'm probably destroying my hearing but ehhh, #$%^ it!

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #745 of 906
I just got the A700X but am considering getting the Pro700MK2. do you guys think that would be a good move? they sound great but I would like more bass :) how nice is the soundstage on the pros? also do the 700pro pads fit over your entire ear after cotton modding? also, how is the pleather quality on the pros? the 700x's pads are really nice. do not get hot or sweaty and super soft and comfortable. not really looking to mess around with the gel pads.

Nov 30, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #746 of 906
I would only get the Pro700mkII if you're getting the gel earpads. The soundstage is what you would expect from an average headphone. For instance, the soundstage is basically the same as the ATH-M50s. They don't fit over your ears, unless you have small ears. I have big ears, and they lay on the pads. The pleather quality is good, but the clamping force, and the thinness of the pads make it very uncomfortable to wear. Cotton does give it a bit more space, but the pads themselves are too small for me.  

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #747 of 906
would swapping out the stock pads for my a700x's be a good choice/fit? the pads fit over my ears and are great. the 700x doesn't have a noticeably open soundstage. it is not bad, but they aren't HD598s.

Nov 30, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #748 of 906
After looking at some pics of your phones', they look like they have the same earpads as the Pro700mkII. I guess the angled drivers give your ears some room so they're not smashed against the metal grill like mine were. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #750 of 906
Quote:
3 Questions
Do the DT250, DT770 or M50 pads work with these? Which is best?
Also, can these be used as portables?

DT250-It'll fit, but there will be some gaps on the top and bottom because of the ovular nature of the pads. You can put some cotton/tissue underneath it to help support the pads and fill up the gaps. Plus you get a bit extra comfort and more bass. 
DT770- Too big for the headphones if they're the size of the gel earpads I'm using. I think the actual review of these headphones (1st page) shows it having the DT990 pads on, and G3NRAL KARL reported loss of bass. Maybe the DT770 pads are different. 
M50- Probably the best "switch-in" replacement if you don't want to fiddle around with anything. The lips on them are long, so it can accomodate for their oval nature. Plus, it'll be easier to put cotton/tissue underneath it, adding comfort and bass impact.

Sound quality-wise, I preferred the DT250 pads over the M50 pads. The DT250 pads have a bit more bass and a more acute treble than the M50 pads, I don't have to worry about sweat cracking up the pleather (happened with my M50s headphones, and I threw on some DT250 pads), and They're more comfortable, but you just have to fiddle around with them more to get them to fit right. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back