Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Dec 15, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #766 of 906
Quote:

What player are you using the PRO700MK2 with? For me, my primary DAPs are my Cowon Z2 and iPod Touch. With both, I usually set the EQ for bass boost. This probably adds about ~5db of bass quantity which greatly helps in bringing the PRO700MK2 to life.

If you feel that the E11 is a tad too big for you, try the ZO2.3. It's really small, but it manages to boost the bass to huge levels.

I use an ipod touch and an E11 w/ the L9 LOD cable, the size isn't a big deal, but my budget is, I don't want to spend more than $100 on an amp. Is the ZO2.3 better than the E11? Thanks

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #768 of 906
Quote:
I use an ipod touch and an E11 w/ the L9 LOD cable, the size isn't a big deal, but my budget is, I don't want to spend more than $100 on an amp. Is the ZO2.3 better than the E11? Thanks

Ok, Ive seen this amp when I was looking at buying one, but does it only boost bass, or does it make the quality of the music better too?

Dec 16, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #772 of 906
Quote:

I've just had a listening session with the ZO2.3 and the E11, and the following are my thoughts.

I used my HTC Desire HD running Poweramp with no EQ settings applied. For cans, I used my Audio-Technica ES7 and PRO700MK2.

For the E11, I set it at high gain with EQ level 2. The sound was powerful, with little loss in the quality of the sound. The bass became fuller, with more punch and rumble. Sub-bass quantity was a touch better. The E11 helped to preserve the overall sound, without much loss in the highs and the mid-range, and boosted the low-end to provide a bassier sound.

For the ZO2.3, I used high gain and adjusted the bass contours (from 0-32). Using both the ES7 and the PRO700MK2, I realized that the bass quantity on the slighly-upper-mid (light orange 17-18) level was similar to the EQ 2 setting on the E11. On full bass countour setting (dark red), the bass became really powerful. Nevertheless, the sound via the ZO2.3 was muddier and less crisp than the E11. Highs were toned down, and the mid-range was recessed. The overall sound from the ZO2.3 was less satisfying, although the bass levels were much greater.

In conclusion, if you are using an E11, I would stick with it, but also EQ the low-end via your DAP to boost the bass level.

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #773 of 906
Quote:

I've just had a listening session with the ZO2.3 and the E11, and the following are my thoughts.

I used my HTC Desire HD running Poweramp with no EQ settings applied. For cans, I used my Audio-Technica ES7 and PRO700MK2.

For the E11, I set it at high gain with EQ level 2. The sound was powerful, with little loss in the quality of the sound. The bass became fuller, with more punch and rumble. Sub-bass quantity was a touch better. The E11 helped to preserve the overall sound, without much loss in the highs and the mid-range, and boosted the low-end to provide a bassier sound.

For the ZO2.3, I used high gain and adjusted the bass contours (from 0-32). Using both the ES7 and the PRO700MK2, I realized that the bass quantity on the slighly-upper-mid (light orange 17-18) level was similar to the EQ 2 setting on the E11. On full bass countour setting (dark red), the bass became really powerful. Nevertheless, the sound via the ZO2.3 was muddier and less crisp than the E11. Highs were toned down, and the mid-range was recessed. The overall sound from the ZO2.3 was less satisfying, although the bass levels were much greater.

In conclusion, if you are using an E11, I would stick with it, but also EQ the low-end via your DAP to boost the bass level.

Alrighty, thank you very much!!

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #775 of 906
OMG!!! BASS

I recently bought the XB1000's since they were being discontinued. When I got them I was thoroughly unimpressed. Just like when they got tested, they change the sound so much that its down right unnatural and muddy as hell, worse than the XB700 for sure. So given this they have been sitting on the shelf for a while gathering a little dust but tonight I decided to upgrade the XB700 pads on my ATH-PRO700 to the XB1000 and boy is it yet again a HUGE diference.

BASSSS!! holy crap its there even some acoustic recordings at >40hz, at a guess I would say at least 10 times the amount than the original ATH pads. I love it, but I'm a basshead and I do own neautral headphones for studio use. But as fun cans these would be able to beat any basshead can hands down (as long as your the type to prefer very sub bass).

They do look quite ridiculous though given the shear size of the XB pads. 
I will post pics when I can.

For now theres a huge smile on my dial!
:-D

Suprizingly I'm hearing a lot of details I never did before like an amp fizzing and stuff.
Oh and the stereo width has increased a lot!

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #776 of 906
how do the xb pads attach? hot glue?

Quote:
OMG!!! BASS

I recently bought the XB1000's since they were being discontinued. When I got them I was thoroughly unimpressed. Just like when they got tested, they change the sound so much that its down right unnatural and muddy as hell, worse than the XB700 for sure. So given this they have been sitting on the shelf for a while gathering a little dust but tonight I decided to upgrade the XB700 pads on my ATH-PRO700 to the XB1000 and boy is it yet again a HUGE diference.

BASSSS!! holy crap its there even some acoustic recordings at >40hz, at a guess I would say at least 10 times the amount than the original ATH pads. I love it, but I'm a basshead and I do own neautral headphones for studio use. But as fun cans these would be able to beat any basshead can hands down (as long as your the type to prefer very sub bass).

They do look quite ridiculous though given the shear size of the XB pads. 
I will post pics when I can.

For now theres a huge smile on my dial!
:-D

Suprizingly I'm hearing a lot of details I never did before like an amp fizzing and stuff.
Oh and the stereo width has increased a lot!

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #777 of 906
Anyone know where you can get a pair of these cans the cheapest? I see that Amazon is selling them for 25% off right now is there any other place selling them for lower possibly?

Budget's as tight as a virgin.

Dec 30, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #779 of 906
Can someone help me decide?
I love me some bass and I have the XB500s right now but want something more head shaking.
Do these blurry your vision and shake your skull?
I want to stay under 200$ and was looking at some others such as
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101UHS8

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-D1100-Advanced-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042ETXRQ

And of course the M50s
So whats my best option.
Recommendations please :D

Dec 30, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #780 of 906
Quote:
Can someone help me decide?
I love me some bass and I have the XB500s right now but want something more head shaking.
Do these blurry your vision and shake your skull?
I want to stay under 200$ and was looking at some others such as
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101UHS8

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AH-D1100-Advanced-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042ETXRQ

And of course the M50s
So whats my best option.
Recommendations please :D

None of those will have more bass than the XB500... If you want more bass than that your best bet is either EQ or the ZO2. No other headphone will give you more bass though.
I personally use M-Audio Q40s with the ZO2, and while those have more bass than stock XB500s, XB500+ZO would blow out your brain with bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back