Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Apr 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #451 of 906

Quote:
Oh how badly I want some ATH-PRO700MK2ANV but man, I can't seem to find anyone local to me that has them. And I can hardly even find them online for a decent price.

If anyone wants to get rid of theirs, let me know. I'm in SoCal.

I would never get rid of mine, but I got damn lucky and found a pair for about $230. They're absolutely beautiful.

Apr 8, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #452 of 906
Hi I'm not a audiophile by no means, but I want a headphone that bring some enjoyment to my everyday listening. I listen to rap, hip hop, j pop, pop, rock, classical, and the list goes on and on. However everyone says that these headphones are to bassy and uncomfortable. This matters to me, but I really like these headphones. I was trying to upgrade from the sony mdr-7506 headphones. I also was going to use dt250 velour earpads on the audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2 and i was wondering if this would be a good idea for someone of my particular needs. I dont want audio technica ath m50. There great but i want something with extra bass you know. I want it to make my ears rattle and shake, but i still want to enjoy the instruments of classical in process. Whats you guy's advice? I really love these headphones. I'm sorry for this comment being long, but I need some advice.

Apr 8, 2012 at 8:23 AM Post #453 of 906

Quote:
Hi I'm not a audiophile by no means, but I want a headphone that bring some enjoyment to my everyday listening. I listen to rap, hip hop, j pop, pop, rock, classical, and the list goes on and on. However everyone says that these headphones are to bassy and uncomfortable. This matters to me, but I really like these headphones. I was trying to upgrade from the sony mdr-7506 headphones. I also was going to use dt250 velour earpads on the audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2 and i was wondering if this would be a good idea for someone of my particular needs. I dont want audio technica ath m50. There great but i want something with extra bass you know. I want it to make my ears rattle and shake, but i still want to enjoy the instruments of classical in process. Whats you guy's advice? I really love these headphones. I'm sorry for this comment being long, but I need some advice.

TBH, the PRO700MK2s are not really a good set for everyday listening across a wide spectrum of genres. They really are a basshead can. In fact, the booming low end will be all you'll notice. It's not to say they are any bad, but they just aren't that good for general use. The M50 on the other hand, is a better can, although I can see that you're not too fond of it.

You might want to try the HFI 580. It will rattle your head, but is also a cleaner, more refined version of the PRO700MK2.

Hope this helps.

Apr 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #455 of 906
You may also want to give M-Audio Q40 a try, what I'd call refined basshead phones for the superb bass quality, it's very punchy and textured, well controlled and extends extremely well and very neutral sounding mid and highrange which doesn't get impacted by the bass response at all. Hard to not recommend for a measly $120, even if it costed $200 I had concidered it a good purchase, hell even if it had costed $250 after hearing it, I had paid about that much if I had to. Furthermore they respond well to amping, without amping, the dynamic range especially seems a little flat/unexciting which seriously improves with a little amping.

Apr 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #456 of 906

Quote:

TBH, the PRO700MK2s are not really a good set for everyday listening across a wide spectrum of genres. They really are a basshead can. In fact, the booming low end will be all you'll notice. It's not to say they are any bad, but they just aren't that good for general use. The M50 on the other hand, is a better can, although I can see that you're not too fond of it.

You might want to try the HFI 580. It will rattle your head, but is also a cleaner, more refined version of the PRO700MK2.

Hope this helps.

I second the HFI-580 recommendation. You will get significantly more clarity while still having a healthy bass presence.

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #457 of 906

Quote:

Hope this helps.

With all due respect, I'd like to say that the Anniversary edition MK2's are actually much more balanced than their normal-edition brethren. I find the bass to be rich, but not overpowering and shattering. The Mids are actually extremely impressive and the highs are about average for a mid/high-end can like this.

I've read/heard around that Audio-Technica actually toyed around the the sound signature for the Anniversary edition. I think I can attest to this. I don't have a pair of regular MK2's to compare...but now I wish I did.

Apr 9, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #458 of 906

Quote:
With all due respect, I'd like to say that the Anniversary edition MK2's are actually much more balanced than their normal-edition brethren. I find the bass to be rich, but not overpowering and shattering. The Mids are actually extremely impressive and the highs are about average for a mid/high-end can like this.

I've read/heard around that Audio-Technica actually toyed around the the sound signature for the Anniversary edition. I think I can attest to this. I don't have a pair of regular MK2's to compare...but now I wish I did.

I agree that the ANV isn't bad for everyday listening. It's by no means bloated or warm, and for someone who really doesn't like sibilance they would be an almost perfect option. I would love to have regular MK2's to compare as well though. The only time I did compare the two directly was in less than ideal conditions.

Apr 11, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #462 of 906
It may have already been mentioned but... how do these compare to the Quality of bass in the Sony XB700[Modded] ... I own the XB's and I like them over the ATH 50m... in fact I liked them b4 I modded and after wards... well the XB700 with the mod... was incredibly insane, deep natural bass, smooth where it needed to be an aggressive when it needed to be

What's the price as well, :3

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:30 PM Post #463 of 906
Hi i currently have soundmagic e10's (which are awesome btw). I'm looking for some over ear headphones, are these worth getting considering what i already have? Is the sound quality really that good? I listen to mainly EDM, I also have a big head lol, will this be a problem? cheers

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #464 of 906
Also an EDM listener here. Great thread and will work my way through it, but to satisfy my ADHD...... are these easy to drive? I would like to listen out of my Cowon and Apple players on occasion. Would prefer not to buy a portable amp.

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #465 of 906

Quote:
Hi i currently have soundmagic e10's (which are awesome btw). I'm looking for some over ear headphones, are these worth getting considering what i already have? Is the sound quality really that good? I listen to mainly EDM, I also have a big head lol, will this be a problem? cheers

Hi RodStar, welcome to Head-fi! It's very hard to tell you if you will like these more than your soundmagics. What I can tell you is that because they are full sized headphones the actual sensation of bass and the scale of the sound will be very different to a pair of in-ears. I personally think they would be great for EDM, but I would also recommend the AiAiAi TMA-1's. Both being DJ headphones I think they will be fine with big heads.

Quote:
Also an EDM listener here. Great thread and will work my way through it, but to satisfy my ADHD...... are these easy to drive? I would like to listen out of my Cowon and Apple players on occasion. Would prefer not to buy a portable amp.

These can be driven straight out of my iPhone 4. You may get issues with the anything from before the iPhone 3Gs generation of iPod devices, because the headphone amplifiers on those models have a tendency to distort especially in the bass. If you have anything like a 5th gen iPod touch, iPhone 3GS +, etc, I don't think you will have a problem. I doubt the Cowon will have any problems either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back