Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Sep 20, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #167 of 906
@Butler - I only ordered the all black versions, so no go on pics of the silver ones.
@NinetyOne - Welcome to HeadFi!  Sorry about your wallet salutation LOL!  I think Amazon has a dedicated UK site, you might be able to get them there.  The DT250 pads leak just a hair more than the stock or M50 pads.  Hardly anything to worry about even if the music is a little more than moderate volume, which is great.

I meant the silver beyer pads on the black MK2's. Im curious to see what that looks like.

Audio Technica making a bass heavy headphone? I'm very interested in trying these. Perhaps for Christmas!

These have been out for awhile, the PRO700 line has been out at least for 5+ years. The MK2s, understandably, are a improved revision.

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #169 of 906

Quote:
Do they fit strange? Prone to fall off? Seal better? I'm pretty curious about everything having to do with the PRO700's, I want to audition a pair so bad with some bassy chip tune.

The MK2 pads are round and so is the the headphone.  The M50 pad is oval but they do fit.  They will not fall off.  They do look a little off because the oval pads are streched out on the rounded sides.  But the oval seals around the ears much better than the round pads. These do have allot more bass but not over the top. I wish i could compare them to the M50. But i really chose the MK2 due to the detachable cable.  My personal opinion is that the MK2 has better style with the round earcups. You really wont notice the oval shaped ear pads when worn except for the comfort improvment. The sound is better in my opinion. My ears are not pressed against the metal piece that protects the 53mm drivers. I am now happy with my MK2 and will not look for another closed back headphone for now.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #172 of 906
@Butler, sorry if I worded it wrong but I was referring to the silver beyer pads.  I purposely ordered the black ones.

Oh! I would love to see the PRO700's with the silver beyer pads.

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #175 of 906
I ordered these a while ago, and I finally got em yesterday. OWWWWW! These things clamp like a mofo! I have a fairly small head, and I woke up today with sore ears. The pads are shaped such that the auricle is constantly pressed against either the pad or the driver. OW OW OW! However, they sound awesome.*

*My Pioneer HDJ-1000s beat them in every category except
-low midrange SMACK
-brute clamping force

The Pioneers don't clamp as hard, but they isolate better, and their low bass has more extension and more impact.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #176 of 906
Given the way I've seen how the M50 and the PRO700MK2's headbands are: my bet is that it'll give with a little breaking in. Put'm on a melon over night, you may find them a little easier to deal with. :atsmile:

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #177 of 906

Quote:
Given the way I've seen how the M50 and the PRO700MK2's headbands are: my bet is that it'll give with a little breaking in. Put'm on a melon over night, you may find them a little easier to deal with.
atsmile.gif

That's what I did. Stretched over my PC case for two days.

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #178 of 906
For DJing, it's not much of a problem, since I'll keep taking them off and putting them back on. However, listening to a few consecutive tracks gets painful. I think I'll have to try stretching em, like you guys. Otherwise, this is a really cool set of hps.

{Given the recent Listeria scare, I may use a small box or a stack of CD cases instead of a melon.}

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #179 of 906
Just a little plug, for any of you who don't like your PRO700MK2's, perhaps because of the clamp or the overwhelming bass, I'm trading my PRO5MK2's for a pair of these. If you want DJ headphones which are more balanced and better for monitoring, and don't clamp your head but still seal well- these are for you. They're pretty stylish and only imported from Japan.

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #180 of 906
So 2 questions:

1. I have a big head, how would you rate the comfort for someone with a large noggin and buddha ears like mine.

2. Noob question here, but does the sound source affect the quality from the headphones. Aka if I wanted to listen to music on my ipod, would it produce poor quality or need to be amped in any way?

Thanks, and I'm glad that you put out such a detailed review! Appreciate the effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back