Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2 review - Take two subwoofers...straight to the head.
Nov 25, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #196 of 906
 Well they are different actually. To me if bass is king for you the Pro700Mk2s are hard to beat. But if you want more than just bass, for example. Full mids and highs with your big bass there are cheaper alternatives to the pro700mk2s..I would order one from Amazon especially now that back friday is under way and see if it is your thing. If you don't like them you can always return them no harm no foul.. If you do like them then you can always keep them and enjoy them for what they are..It just comes down to sound preference..Even bass heads have their likes and dislikes about bass so I would try one if you had your heart set on one.

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #197 of 906

Quote:
Oh man.  Karl and Dsnuts...  you guys are killing me.   I've had my heart set on buying these for the last three months.  I've been saving my pennies and  was going to order the 700s this Monday!  But then I saw Dsnuts post...   And everyone starts agreeing with him that these cans are bad?  That a pair of $50 kickers are better???   

So Karl,  If you had to do it all over again would you just buy the Kickers and pass on the 700MKS?     

Here's my deal, I am currently using the Sony MDR-V6s and I like them alot but I wanted to try something more 'fun' and less analytical.  I wanted something with a warmer sound and more umph in the bass.   When I read you're review on amazon I though I had found my new phones.  Then Dsnuts went and screwed it all up.  
tongue_smile.gif
    I just really like the Idea of trying some bass heavy cans for a change of pace.    I feel lost now.   And then just to mess with me more, A couple of posts above Dsnuts says -

Seriously, you guys are killing me...  

LOL!  I still stand behind the MK2's and the Kickers, they're both awesome.  To put it simply, the Kickers have more forward mids, but the bass is a few notches behind the MK2's.  The mids in the MK2's are less forward and have a "darker" sound in the highs as well.  The highs in the Kickers are somewhat rolled off, but not dark, or as bright sounding as say a AD700.  If you want tons bass, I suggest the MK2's, but with some of the drawbacks just mentioned.  If you want a mid-forward presentation with a slap of some bass, I suggest the Kickers.  I know the MK2's are almost 3x the price of the Kickers, but I don't think I could break it down further - they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

However, have you heard the Panasonic HTRF600?  Check out Dsnuts thread on them - those actually do many things better than both the MK2's and the Kicker's.  But every can has cons too...

I hope you find something soon, all fellow headfier's should have a safe audio haven :)

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #198 of 906
Well,  thank you guys so much for the heads up on the Panasonics.  So flipping cheap I will definitely grab those.   I'm also gonna still try the MK2s.  I've always found myself longing for more bass in every headphone I've tried.   I'm hoping the MK2s will not only scratch, but kill that itch.   And if they really are too much, per Dsnuts advise, I'll send them back to amazon and maybe give the HFI-780s a spin.   

Again, thank you both.  You sure make a noob feel welcome  =)

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #199 of 906
the mk2's are for DJing and your hfi 780 are made dvd's and gaming, the site said so its self. my opinion your comparing apples and oranges. i guess it depends on what you looking for. i just started DJing and have the ath-m50 ( I've had these before they started getting popular ) and they have great highs and mids with a warm bass. but i need something that will get the blood following.
the reasons I'm looking at buy the mk2 is the specs. any input would be awesome, thanks.
http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/hfi-780.html

Nov 27, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #200 of 906

Quote:
the mk2's are for DJing and your hfi 780 are made dvd's and gaming, the site said so its self. my opinion your comparing apples and oranges. i guess it depends on what you looking for. i just started DJing and have the ath-m50 ( I've had these before they started getting popular ) and they have great highs and mids with a warm bass. but i need something that will get the blood following.
the reasons I'm looking at buy the mk2 is the specs. any input would be awesome, thanks.
http://www.ultrasone.com/index.php/en/products/hfi-780.html

The hfi-780 isn't just for dvd's and gaming, no matter what that listing says. Quite a few of us have owned or own them currently, so look around the site BEFORE you make a rock solid statement. It's the same for the mk2's, sine they're designed for more than just dj'ing. They are also touted as EXCELLENT cans for portable usage,...that's why the HP cable is so short BTW.

I owned the hfi-780's, and they go great w/a portable, same as my mk2's,...only the mk2's are much LOUDER and the bass more present.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #201 of 906
OOOoooookaaayyy...

Just got my Pro700MK2s.  I hate to say it, but they sound pretty terrible to me.  I've heard the mids and highs described as dark or recessed, but I would describe them as badly muffled with whole frequencies missing.  Their sound is the opposite of clear.  Take two speakers and a sub-woofer and put the speakers under a thick pillow and you'll replicate the sound of the MK2s nicely. It does have a lot of bass but it sounds kind of ...smooshy? I don't know, maybe it's because I'm coming from Sony MDR-V6s that I'm having such a hard time with these.  

Dnuts... you tried to warn me, mate...

Karl.  You seem like the nicest coolest guy ever.  I hope I'm not coming across to strong.  I'm glad you like these, they are just not for me. 

Dec 1, 2011 at 3:37 AM Post #202 of 906

Quote:
OOOoooookaaayyy...

Just got my Pro700MK2s.  I hate to say it, but they sound pretty terrible to me.  I've heard the mids and highs described as dark or recessed, but I would describe them as badly muffled with whole frequencies missing.  Their sound is the opposite of clear.  Take two speakers and a sub-woofer and put the speakers under a thick pillow and you'll replicate the sound of the MK2s nicely. It does have a lot of bass but it sounds kind of ...smooshy? I don't know, maybe it's because I'm coming from Sony MDR-V6s that I'm having such a hard time with these.  

Dnuts... you tried to warn me, mate...

Karl.  You seem like the nicest coolest guy ever.  I hope I'm not coming across to strong.  I'm glad you like these, they are just not for me. 

Hey man, no prob!  I hope you can return the MK2's and get something else that might suit your taste.  I'm actually looking into getting some Ultrasones - perhaps the pro750 version. 

I also find that the MK2's don't have enough sparkle for me in the mids and highs, but I personally love that bass and it still retains some of that crisp Audio Technica flavor that I love.  So nowadays, I usually only use the MK2's for backup isolation cans for watching movies and stuff, and sometimes I use them for portability (which they actually hold crown too compared to my other phones).  I will probably keep my MK2's indefinitely, but I now need a new closed-back that gets loud (with minor leakage), has bass, mids and highs for music off my laptop.  This might take me awhile...

Unless someone can direct me :)

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #203 of 906

Quote:
Unless someone can direct me :)

Maybe these: http://v-moda.com/crossfade-lp2-limited-edition-matte-black/

Man I wish amazon.co.uk could get em in stock already, I already ordered a pair. I have a strong feeling about these will be what I've been looking for at least, something I might be able to use for years without getting bit by upgradeitis. :p If the frequency response graph is accurate then these would be a basshead's dream not cuz the bass looks to be greatly boosted and very evenly so in the whole bassrange and extend amazingly well, at 10Hz we're still talking about +10dB boost O.o but also cuz of the unusually neutral/even mids and highrange for a basshead headphone. As well it seems to have great positioning by those who've already tried it and leakage is said to be fairly little and isolation quite decent despite having those 3 holes at the back.

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #204 of 906
@RPGWizard, thanks man.  I actually was looking at those crossfades as a contender too.  The one thing that worries me is the comfort.  Being that their on-ear-like style might cramp the outside edges of my ears, and that I won't tolerate, I might have to pass.  I still wouldn't mind trying many headphones, it's just that where I'm at, I would have to purchase them before and make a decision after.  That is getting old quick.  I've also seen some recommend the Fischer's as well, but heard they are "neutral" so bass is tamed, which isn't a bad thing, but I need some prime-cut on my plate.
dt880smile.png

I might even dip back into the earphone market if I have too...

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #205 of 906

Quote:
Hey man, no prob!  I hope you can return the MK2's and get something else that might suit your taste.  I'm actually looking into getting some Ultrasones - perhaps the pro750 version. 

Thanks man.  Just sent the MK2s back and I was also looking at some Ultrasones for a replacement.   My MDR-V6s are nice but the sound is so bright that it gets fatiguing after a while.  Looking for something a touch warmer and more forward bass would be nice too.  I really want to try the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II but I'm worried they will be to similar to the V6s...   

UGH...  headphones...  what a nutty hobby to pick up.  =P

Dec 1, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #206 of 906
The LP2 are over the ear not on-ear. You were probably looking at M-80 which is for portable use.

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #209 of 906

Quote:
Hd 25-1 ii original compared to this what are the differences? I'm kinda in between on buying the 50th anv or hd 25-1 ii.

I know I pull no weight around here, but I would strongly advise against spending $400+ dollars on the MK2s.  Spending $150 is hard to swallow.  In fact I printed my return label the very same night I received these.  As soon as my refund posts I will be ordering the HD25-1 ii.  

Go to a stock car stereo, turn the treble setting 3/4 way down and turn the bass setting all the way up.  That's about what you'll get with the MK2s.  I would personally value the MK2s no higher than $60.  Sometimes it might be fun to hear very bloated low frequency bass but not fun enough to spend over a hundred dollars on. Especially when the rest of the picture is almost completely absent.  

But hey, at least they make up for it by being stupidly uncomfortable to wear. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #210 of 906
@RPGWizard, I'm going to join you soon on owning the LP2's.  The specs on this phone seems to be exactly what I'm looking for in a full-sized closed back.  The Amazon reviews on the regular LP's are overall excellent.  If I like what I hear, I will throw out a review as well.

Now I've just hijacked my own thread...
confused_face%281%29.gif

Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back