Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 21, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #586 of 1,051
Well, I firmly believe that, if you notice a sound difference with cables, it's almost always for the worse. I've never experienced better sound or differences in tonality going from one wire to another. I could see this being somewhat of a thing with really inefficient speakers or something, but with a headphone that can run on the power of farts just fine it seems impossible to me.

With that said, buying nice cables just because you want a nicer cable is fine by me and I've done that already. I recently bought this cable from AliExpress. It took a while to arrive, but man is it nicer than the stock wire. Is it better? Don't know, don't care. I like it more and that's what matters to me. But quality seems fine, the connectors aren't plastic and feel solid and I'm a sucker for braided cables. I can recommend it as a cheap enough alternative to the wires posted above.

Do those cables tangle ?

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #587 of 1,051
Do those cables tangle ?
The one from AliExpress? Not that I've noticed, no. It's pretty free flowing, very soft, not springy at all and doesn't tangle when I fold it in a circle and stick it in a case with my headphones and Q5s. I have similar cables (but not the same) for my IEMs (which take a lot more abuse in pockets and whatnot) and they tangle way harder than any stock wire, while being easy as pie to untangle. I liked them for how they look and feel, but I love these cables just for that. On the MSR7b I don't care THAT much about tangling, but it's not an issue at all for me right now. Although, to be fair, that wasn't an issue with the stock cable either.

Oct 21, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #588 of 1,051
The one from AliExpress? Not that I've noticed, no. It's pretty free flowing, very soft, not springy at all and doesn't tangle when I fold it in a circle and stick it in a case with my headphones and Q5s. I have similar cables (but not the same) for my IEMs (which take a lot more abuse in pockets and whatnot) and they tangle way harder than any stock wire, while being easy as pie to untangle. I liked them for how they look and feel, but I love these cables just for that. On the MSR7b I don't care THAT much about tangling, but it's not an issue at all for me right now. Although, to be fair, that wasn't an issue with the stock cable either.

Cheers yeah I found the original stock cable good but too short, got a 2 m cable but this one tangles quite bad but that Aliexpress cable does look pretty decent.

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #589 of 1,051
Question for Msr7b owners, did you actually notice any sound quality difference (left and right separation) when using a Balanced DAC/Amp ?

But unsure since many online claim balanced dac/amps does not improve sound quality at all, not trying to start a snake oil debate here but just trying to save money and time.

Oct 22, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #590 of 1,051
Question for Msr7b owners, did you actually notice any sound quality difference (left and right separation) when using a Balanced DAC/Amp ?

But unsure since many online claim balanced dac/amps does not improve sound quality at all, not trying to start a snake oil debate here but just trying to save money and time.
I like to think I'm pretty honest and οbjective with these things, as I'm allergic to snake oil. I always carry around with me an Epi-Pen in case I see sound quality improving rocks on top of speakers and whatnot.

With that said, yes, there's definitely SOME improvement, but I can't tell you whether it's because of the balanced connection or the added power, although I suspect it's a bit of both. When I had the SE only MSR7, I used to use them with a Fiio Q1, being a newbie and all. I thought that wow, this is more than enough power for these! But after a while I got the chance to try them on better, more powerful amps and there was most definitely an improvement in soundstage and bass quality and seperation, much like you'd expect from a balanced connection. It's a similar story with the MSR7b. Yes, there's definitely an improvement going balanced (not a night and day difference, but it's there), but if there's anyone that can guarantee that it's because of the balanced connection and not the added power let me know.

TL;DR : If you already have a nice, powerful, high quality amp, then balanced is just a nice to have but not necessary. Just keep in mind that these things do scale with quality and power, much more than you'd think with how easy they are to drive. Doubly so if you mod them like I have.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #591 of 1,051
I like to think I'm pretty honest and subjective with these things, as I'm allergic to snake oil. I always carry around with me an Epi-Pen in case I see sound quality improving rocks on top of speakers and whatnot.

With that said, yes, there's definitely SOME improvement, but I can't tell you whether it's because of the balanced connection or the added power, although I suspect it's a bit of both. When I had the SE only MSR7, I used to use them with a Fiio Q1, being a newbie and all. I thought that wow, this is more than enough power for these! But after a while I got the chance to try them on better, more powerful amps and there was most definitely an improvement in soundstage and bass quality and seperation, much like you'd expect from a balanced connection. It's a similar story with the MSR7b. Yes, there's definitely an improvement going balanced (not a night and day difference, but it's there), but if there's anyone that can guarantee that it's because of the balanced connection and not the added power let me know.

TL;DR : If you already have a nice, powerful, high quality amp, then balanced is just a nice to have but not necessary. Just keep in mind that these things do scale with quality and power, much more than you'd think with how easy they are to drive. Doubly so if you mod them like I have.

Thanks as always much appreciated, I had to ask since I recently got the topping L30/E30 dac/amp, and I am comparing it to my existing Creative Soundblaster X3 amp/dac using a much older AK chipset which cost half the topping combo cost. I can't hear any difference using my flac collection or tidal hifi/Master soundtracks both in exclusive mode.

I can flip between both dacs/amps fairly well since on Windows I can just click sound properties and A/B between topping dac to creative dac.

That is interesting you mention power since I have heard similar from reviews regarding iFi dac + power or no power adaptor, with my topping E30 I use the power adaptor which weighs a brick, but my Creative x3 is only usb powered but not noticing any improvement there. It's been debating quite a bit also if the extra power adaptor on dacs/amps can actually improve audio quality also over on the iFi thread.

Separation and soundstage was what I was looking to improve, so I think I may try the iFi dac/can out and compare all of them that is if my ears are going to be honest !

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #592 of 1,051
Thanks as always much appreciated, I had to ask since I recently got the topping L30/E30 dac/amp, and I am comparing it to my existing Creative Soundblaster X3 amp/dac using a much older AK chipset which cost half the topping combo cost. I can't hear any difference using my flac collection or tidal hifi/Master soundtracks both in exclusive mode.

I can flip between both dacs/amps fairly well since on Windows I can just click sound properties and A/B between topping dac to creative dac.

That is interesting you mention power since I have heard similar from reviews regarding iFi dac + power or no power adaptor, with my topping E30 I use the power adaptor which weighs a brick, but my Creative x3 is only usb powered but not noticing any improvement there. It's been debating quite a bit also if the extra power adaptor on dacs/amps can actually improve audio quality also over on the iFi thread.

Separation and soundstage was what I was looking to improve, so I think I may try the iFi dac/can out and compare all of them that is if my ears are going to be honest !
Again, as I said, don't expect massive differences. I think most people who make big claims are just exaggerating. Not on purpose, but they mostly are. The detail and seperation and whatnot are primarily dictated by a) the quality of the source material (a mono track won't have seperation now, will it?) and b) the headphones themselves. Everything else plays a much, much smaller role. Unless you're seriously underpowering a headphone that needs a lot of power, the differences won't be massive. And DACs play even less of a role in the overall sound quality. If you ever notice a real difference between DACs, it's probably a big flaw of one of the devices you're trying. Most DACs these days are transparent AF, and I'm hard pressed (more like, it's impossible) to notice a quality difference between my Fiio Q5s and my Topping D70. Then again my mere mortal ears can barely notice any difference between FLAC and a 320kpbs MP3, so it might just be me, although at 26 years old I hope my hearing isn't going away just yet.

If you're in the market for a portable DAC/amp that works well with the MSR7b, I'd highly recommend the Fiio Q5s by the way. Awesome little device. Has all the inputs you will ever need (USB, optical, coaxial, bluetooth, line in), is balanced (2.5mm and 4.4mm), has a great DAC (AK4495 or something), enough power and it goes really well with the sound signature of the MSR7b.

PS : I originally wrote I'm subjective, when I wanted to write objective. Oh well, you got the point.

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #593 of 1,051
Again, as I said, don't expect massive differences. I think most people who make big claims are just exaggerating. Not on purpose, but they mostly are. The detail and seperation and whatnot are primarily dictated by a) the quality of the source material (a mono track won't have seperation now, will it?) and b) the headphones themselves. Everything else plays a much, much smaller role. Unless you're seriously underpowering a headphone that needs a lot of power, the differences won't be massive. And DACs play even less of a role in the overall sound quality. If you ever notice a real difference between DACs, it's probably a big flaw of one of the devices you're trying. Most DACs these days are transparent AF, and I'm hard pressed (more like, it's impossible) to notice a quality difference between my Fiio Q5s and my Topping D70. Then again my mere mortal ears can barely notice any difference between FLAC and a 320kpbs MP3, so it might just be me, although at 26 years old I hope my hearing isn't going away just yet.

If you're in the market for a portable DAC/amp that works well with the MSR7b, I'd highly recommend the Fiio Q5s by the way. Awesome little device. Has all the inputs you will ever need (USB, optical, coaxial, bluetooth, line in), is balanced (2.5mm and 4.4mm), has a great DAC (AK4495 or something), enough power and it goes really well with the sound signature of the MSR7b.

PS : I originally wrote I'm subjective, when I wanted to write objective. Oh well, you got the point.

For sure, I may not actually hear any difference but I think its worth letting my ears find out if it's not to my liking it can go back.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #595 of 1,051
For sure, I may not actually hear any difference but I think its worth letting my ears find out if it's not to my liking it can go back.
Oh, by all means, do try. That's the fun part. Just temper your expectations and you will not be disappointed. Whatever changes, however small, if they are towards a direction you like are worth it. Experimenting with gear is part of the game. Perhaps the best part after listening to music. I mean, I was perfectly happy with my MSR7 and Fiio Q1. I could've stayed that way and never have known any better. Then I modded the MSR7 and it was awesome. Then I got the 58x that I didn't need, but I enden up loving those too. Then for no reason I upgraded (maybe sidegraded) from the MSR7 to the MSR7b and it was a worthwhile purchase. Then came the Fiio Q5s and that changed it all, mostly due to the features and connectivity options, but also the sound quality that was as improved from the Q1 as I could hope. Then came modding the MSR7b, which ended up being my favorite part so far. Then the THX AAA 789 and Topping D70, yada yada yada. You get my point. It's an ever going thing. And every step of the way where you stop for a while because you found something worthwhile, it's better than what came before it.

Oct 23, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #596 of 1,051
Listening to them, and my impression is that it's lean sounding. Definately bright like the frequency response shows with the treble, and upper-mids feel pulled back. I think this headphone is an axample of upper-mids pulled back to create a perception of spatial stage (although, not in the level of an open-back). Lacking bass quantity and umph.

I think the treble can get fatiguing over extended listen. Treble creates an air and contributes to the stage, but it's a bit much contrast from the pulled back upper-mids. I think Beyer lovers would appreciate these besides the lack of bass.

The sound space seems mostly empty due to lack of mids presence I believe. It's quite lean in the mids and shoots up at the treble. I hear it like the measurements, and example of how the response sounds like the measurements.

Mids are too recessed.

I need moor bass! I kinda prefering the V-Moda M-200 over these, but will see if it changes. M-200 outputs moor bass, and stage doesn't seem as spacial, but it's more fun sounding.

I characterize these as truly analystical sounding.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #597 of 1,051
Listening to them, and my impression is that it's lean sounding. Definately bright like the frequency response shows with the treble, and upper-mids feel pulled back. I think this headphone is an axample of upper-mids pulled back to create a perception of spatial stage (although, not in the level of an open-back). Lacking bass quantity and umph.

I think the treble can get fatiguing over extended listen. Treble creates an air and contributes to the stage, but it's a bit much contrast from the pulled back upper-mids. I think Beyer loves would appreciate these besides the lack of bass.

I need moor bass! I kinda prefering the V-Moda M-200 over these, but will see if it changes. M-200 moor bass, and stage does seem as spacial, but it's more fun sounding.

Try Tolis's mod and remove those little sticky white felt pieces.......MOAR BASS! Then add one sheet paper towel behind the pads to tone down the treble a bit and then see what you think. Personally I prefer them with the Dekoni pads - they sound great and are just a little deeper than stock - but if you want more bass try the angled brainwavz pads

Attachments

• 20201014_191428.jpg
    20201014_191428.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201014_191450.jpg
    20201014_191450.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Oct 23, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #598 of 1,051
Try Tolis's mod and remove those little sticky white felt pieces.......MOAR BASS! Then add one sheet paper towel behind the pads to tone down the treble a bit and then see what you think. Personally I prefer them with the Dekoni pads - they sound great and are just a little deeper than stock - but if you want more bass try the angled brainwavz pads
It's quite comfortable I give it that. I think I'd rather take AKG K371's upper-mids sharp dynamics (which I find a bit annoying) over the treble rise on these. At least the K371 has more mids supporting the overall sound, and MOAR bass with them as well.

My general preference is mids and upper-mids pulled forward (HD600/650, etc..). These are more of treble pulled forward.

The treble has the microdynamics in terms of air, which is unique and stands out. Also, the treble control is quite tight, and it does really well in this regard. Quite clean sounding treble, albeit a bit boosted. Definately cleaner treble than K371 or M-200.

Treble seemingly clean as HD800/S. Tonally, seems to share similarities and the way they both present air. Both share that treble annoyance that comes up with modern recordings if driven with solid state. My ears are going to be shot after some time. lol.

I can hear some recession with certain vocal on certain tracks, and I believe it's due to suckout in the lower-mids and upper-mids. Which why the space of sound seems emptier in terms of tones present.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #599 of 1,051
It's quite comfortable I give it that. I think I'd rather take AKG K371's upper-mids sharp dynamics (which I find a bit annoying) over the treble rise on these. At least the K371 has more mids supporting the overall sound, and MOAR bass with them as well.

My general preference is mids and upper-mids pulled forward (HD600/650, etc..). These are more of treble pulled forward.

The treble has the microdynamics in terms of air, which is unique and stands out. Also, the treble control is quite tight, and it does really well in this regard. Quite clean sounding treble, albeit a bit boosted. Definately cleaner treble than K371 or M-200.

Treble seemingly clean as HD800/S. Tonally, seems to share similarities and the way they both present air. Both share that treble annoyance that comes up with modern recordings if driven with solid state. My ears are going to be shot after some time. lol.

I can hear some recession with certain vocal on certain tracks, and I believe it's due to suckout in the lower-mids and upper-mids. Which why the space of sound seems emptier in terms of tones present.
Are you going balanced with the 4.4mm cable? For me it's a totally different experience vs the 3.5mm cable.

Oct 23, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #600 of 1,051
Are you going balanced with the 4.4mm cable? For me it's a totally different experience vs the 3.5mm cable.
I can't do balanced as I have no 4.4mm as I'm not a DAP guy. Is there way that I can adapt to my balanced amp? I do have a nice tube amp that's balanced, but need an XLR adapter for it. Anybody know of a reasonable priced 4.4 trs to 4-pin XLR adapter?

I think the most crucial aspect I need changed is the brightness, and I doubt that balanced is going to tame the brightness.

I went back to V-Moda, and it's more engaging due to no treble emphasis.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back