Focal Stellia
Denon AH-d9200
Dan Clark Audio AEON 2
Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd Gen

Yet to try:
AUDEZE LCD-XC
Fostex TH-900mk2 Premium
Pioneer SE-Monitor 5

For the money, these msr7b's are quite impressive. Biggest issue for me was comfort. My ears press up against the drivers. So I purchased Dekoni sheepskin ear pads (which are a little deeper), and I followed Tolis's mod (removing the little felt pieces)...... for a $250 HP, the results are very impressive. The highs were still a little too bright after those adjustments, so I've put one sheet of paper towel behind the ear pads and they sound pretty great right now. I'm going to try the other suggestion I read here as well, using that bandaid-like tape stuff, to see if that might temper the harshness a little bit.

So with those mods, I'd put them - sound-wise - in the same realm as many of the more expensive HP's on this list. Now of course some of these higher-end HP's have an overall higher quality sound.... smoother and more refined, not quite as harsh..... but I mean for $300 ($250 plus 50 for pads), I'm pretty impressed how well these can hang with the big boys.

For those of you like me who find the msr7b's to be physically fatiguing after a while - due to ears being squashed - I'd highly suggest doing Tolis's mod along with the Dekoni pads. I tried like 5 different pads, and the Dekoni's are closest to keeping the stock sound, and they are much more comfortable than stock.

Thanks to Tolis for the suggestion!

Oct 16, 2020 at 8:29 AM Post #572 of 1,051
UPDATE:

For anyone that cares.......

In the last 2 weeks, I've tried the following:
Sennheiser HD 569
Ultrasone Signature DXP
Focal Elegia
Sony MDR7506
Audio-Technica M50x
Audio-Technica M70X
Audio-Technica SR9
Denon AH-d7200
Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Audio-Technica MSR7
Audio-Technica MSR7b
Audio-Technica ATH-AP2000Ti
Focal Stellia
Denon AH-d9200
Dan Clark Audio AEON 2
Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd Gen

Yet to try:
AUDEZE LCD-XC
Fostex TH-900mk2 Premium
Pioneer SE-Monitor 5

For the money, these msr7b's are quite impressive. Biggest issue for me was comfort. My ears press up against the drivers. So I purchased Dekoni sheepskin ear pads (which are a little deeper), and I followed Tolis's mod (removing the little felt pieces)...... for a $250 HP, the results are very impressive. The highs were still a little too bright after those adjustments, so I've put one sheet of paper towel behind the ear pads and they sound pretty great right now. I'm going to try the other suggestion I read here as well, using that bandaid-like tape stuff, to see if that might temper the harshness a little bit.

So with those mods, I'd put them - sound-wise - in the same realm as many of the more expensive HP's on this list. Now of course some of these higher-end HP's have an overall higher quality sound.... smoother and more refined, not quite as harsh..... but I mean for $300 ($250 plus 50 for pads), I'm pretty impressed how well these can hang with the big boys.

For those of you like me who find the msr7b's to be physically fatiguing after a while - due to ears being squashed - I'd highly suggest doing Tolis's mod along with the Dekoni pads. I tried like 5 different pads, and the Dekoni's are closest to keeping the stock sound, and they are much more comfortable than stock.

Cheers, you just made every msr7b owner kiss their hps and then their wallets not necessarily in that order.

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #574 of 1,051
UPDATE:

Sennheiser HD 569
Ultrasone Signature DXP
Focal Elegia
Sony MDR7506
Audio-Technica M50x
Audio-Technica M70X
Audio-Technica SR9
Denon AH-d7200
Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Audio-Technica MSR7
Audio-Technica MSR7b
Focal Stellia
Denon AH-d9200
Dan Clark Audio AEON 2
Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd Gen

Yet to try:
AUDEZE LCD-XC
Fostex TH-900mk2 Premium
Pioneer SE-Monitor 5

I was looking at the measurements and the treble looks to be on the strong side. I wonder if it will come off harsh due to this?

MSR7b.jpg

Oct 16, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #575 of 1,051
I was looking at the measurements and the treble looks to be on the strong side. I wonder if it will come off harsh due to this?

Well, IMHO, there's two ways of looking at it: standing alone or relative to others.

Stand-alone, and talking the stock setup, I didn't find them harsh or overbearing. But certainly more bright than others. I felt they were smoother than the original msr7's. Keep in mind, I like a bright sound signature. I'm always turning up the treble when my wife is turning up the bass haha.

But when I switched to Dekoni pads and removed the felt pads inside the cups, they were a little harsh. So I've been experimenting with ways to tone em down a bit. So far the paper towel trick has worked ok. Tolis put me onto some Senheiser foam pads that I'm expecting to arrive and try soon as well.

Relatively speaking, and compared to the higher-end HP's, yes they won't sound as smooth. Comparatively, there is a bit more sibilance and even slight piercing on those high notes, like when the drummer hits the bell of the ride symbol. But we're also talking $250 vs $1000-2000 here.

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #576 of 1,051
UPDATE:

Sennheiser HD 569
Ultrasone Signature DXP
Focal Elegia
Sony MDR7506
Audio-Technica M50x
Audio-Technica M70X
Audio-Technica SR9
Denon AH-d7200
Audio-Technica ATH-WP900
Audio-Technica MSR7
Audio-Technica MSR7b
Focal Stellia
Denon AH-d9200
Dan Clark Audio AEON 2
Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd Gen

Yet to try:
AUDEZE LCD-XC
Fostex TH-900mk2 Premium
Pioneer SE-Monitor 5

I think the MSR7b is the best closed back I have heard up to the 500/600 £/$/€ price range. You could try a better cable to reduce the overly bright nature and also use them balanced. I found both these things helped but there is no getting away from their bright presentation and in many senses that is part of their appeal and gives them such clarity and good soundstage. What did you think of the other HPs you mention by the way?

Oct 18, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #580 of 1,051
Hello I just got theses headphones on sale a week ago, it's been a while I had my eyes on them. I'm pairing them with a es100 mk2 bluetooth dac/amp and my phone, using the balanced 2.5mm output with the balanced cable who was in the retail box.

I really like them so far. Neutral/bright without being boring. I just wished they had a little more Soundstage on some tracks. Also I can't pinpoint the exact frequency (3000-3500hz?) but I hear some harshness in the highs on some tracks.

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #582 of 1,051
Still enjoying my MSR7b and finding that the bass, soundstage, and separation of instruments is increasing a lot with more burn in.

**Question: for those who've bought the AT upgraded cable** (https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/hdc114a-1-2), is it worth it?

It's almost $200 in Canada. I don't like the look of it (shallow, I know), especially with my black version of the MSR7b, and it also seems a lot longer than the stock one. I actually really like the shortness of the stock one. But if it is a significant upgrade in sound, I may go for it.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Oct 19, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #583 of 1,051
Still enjoying my MSR7b and finding that the bass, soundstage, and separation of instruments is increasing a lot with more burn in.

**Question: for those who've bought the AT upgraded cable** (https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/hdc114a-1-2), is it worth it?

It's almost $200 in Canada. I don't like the look of it (shallow, I know), especially with my black version of the MSR7b, and it also seems a lot longer than the stock one. I actually really like the shortness of the stock one. But if it is a significant upgrade in sound, I may go for it.

Being honest, in my case not much of a difference, maybe smoother brights and that's it.

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #584 of 1,051

Looks nice but very pricey, I paid less than that for my msr7bs !

Maybe try the delock 4.4mm extension cable for £20

3.5mm extension cable from delock for £22 here

I am using this 3 metre 3.5mm one here which just contains the a2dc connectors @ £15 so no extra connections in-between just one solid wire piece.

On each of the 3 links above if you scroll to bottom or search just the name of item on amazon you should
Get the 1,2,3 etc metre versions.

Only thing I struggle with is the tangling of the cabling, otherwise I don't believe there is any loss in sound quality.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #585 of 1,051
Well, I firmly believe that, if you notice a sound difference with cables, it's almost always for the worse. I've never experienced better sound or differences in tonality going from one wire to another. I could see this being somewhat of a thing with really inefficient speakers or something, but with a headphone that can run on the power of farts just fine it seems impossible to me.

With that said, buying nice cables just because you want a nicer cable is fine by me and I've done that already. I recently bought this cable from AliExpress. It took a while to arrive, but man is it nicer than the stock wire. Is it better? Don't know, don't care. I like it more and that's what matters to me. But quality seems fine, the connectors aren't plastic and feel solid and I'm a sucker for braided cables. I can recommend it as a cheap enough alternative to the wires posted above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back