Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Oct 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #481 of 787
Heads up guys.
Time for a boost in clarity(!)

The outer plastic "sound" and feel of the esw10 & esw11 is more solid and I found a way to achieve same tone.

The result is a more "clear" sound.

It was basically a simple mod,
Using the addition of some modeling clay to the inside cavities to the plastic.
The clay adds solidnees and should tame any plastic resonances to both the middle part, and edge of driver frame

Simply roll a pinch of clay and push into the inner cavities of the plastic.

Upon closing back the headphones, the clay will contact the driver frame as well, damping it.
Then just clean off any excess that appears in slot where the pad will go.
Place pad and enjoy your more refined cans!!
:wink:

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #482 of 787
Just got these in today from dealville and it has the blue driver. It also has the black felt on it like the one Maxx134 has. They sound great especially for a portable.

The build is worry some though. The swiveling joints don't move smoothly and the plastic is average. The cable is thin too. How easy do the cables short out for people? I've had a pair of Sennheiser hd203 ($50) for 3 years and never had any problems with them. Hopefully these will be the same.

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #483 of 787
The cables are thin so no "microphonics" can travel up cable to cup.
The wire is very durable.
The joints are tight for me as well.
I think there is a silicone you can buy to lubricate plastic.

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #484 of 787
The cables are thin so no "microphonics" can travel up cable to cup.
The wire is very durable.
The joints are tight for me as well.
I think there is a silicone you can buy to lubricate plastic.

Well that's true. There aren't really any microphonics at all. Nonetheless, I would have preferred a thicker cable.

Sound wise these are very good. It has a nice warm tilt not too much so however. It's as if you plugged a neutral headphone in a very warm tubey amp. :)

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #485 of 787
What I appreciate about the esw9 is although they sound warm, they still have some sparkles on top. Bass is not too shabby either for a portable.

Oct 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #487 of 787
So far I'm really digging the esw9. Build is a bit iffy but the sound is great! Oh and those wood cups are gorgeous!

Also I was wondering about the warranty card. Do I fill it out and ship it to them now or whenever I use the warranty?

Oct 20, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #492 of 787
The pads do take some getting used to and breaking in like a pair of shoes. One of my ear pads came slightly more worn than the other and I don't have any issues with that side. The side with the new pad does irritate my ear more.

Also play with the fit. These are bowl pads so they may be have an akward fit at first.

Oct 21, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #493 of 787
I'm based in the UK, would love to get my hands on one of these
but having read so many warnings of fakes online, It seem unsafe to order from a random dealer on amazon/ebay.
Does anyone know of a genuine/authorised reseller shipping to the UK?

Thanks! 

Oct 21, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #494 of 787
I believe that the ESW9 are being phased out/discontinued, I got mine from Amazon Japan for just over AUD $200 after shipping
You can still buy them there or from the Amazon US website.

Oct 22, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #495 of 787
Beautiful photos, audioKyle!
I'm tempted to buy another one,

and stick SRH840 drivers in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back