Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Nov 24, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #16 of 787

Quote:
Thanks, I can't wait until I get mine...so many good compliment on them.  I'm glade I bump into this thread, this whole breaking problem was worrying me, but you cleared it up.  Hopefully the esw9a will satisfy me and stop my quest in the mean time.  If not I might jump back to look for full size like the D2000 or DT990.

It's like the Twilight Zone, it never stops, it only gets worse.
wink_face.gif

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #17 of 787
I think the problem with this hobby is that the first headphone you buy blows your mind away and get you hooked.  Then you start paying for more expensive headphone expecting or really wanting the same result, but the result is better, but fall short. Better results, but not a dramatic increase....just enough to get you wanting more.

Nov 25, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #19 of 787

Which LOD are you using with the iphone 4?  I know you say it's cheap, but I don't have the money for good one in the mean time so when I buy an amp, I will probable need to buy a cheap one.  Yeah, I haven't heard a lot of DAPs, but the iphone 4 satisfies my need to search elsewhere especially on a phone.  The iphone 4 is a very pleasant phone, hard to not like.

I'm using a LOD from Crossroads. They are only SGD25. But it serves my purpose so I'm more than happy with it. When it comes to cheap and good amps, I think not many can beat the FiiO E5. :wink:

Nov 25, 2010 at 6:42 PM Post #20 of 787
Thanks, I'll check out the LOD.  Humm for some reason I can't find the LOD in jaben website.....

Nov 26, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #22 of 787

nope! I'm not from Singapore, but I heard it's pretty over there and the food is great from the food network channel
wink.gif
  I'm in the U.S., I guess I won't be getting one then hahaha.
Quote:
Oh you're from Singapore too? I don't think Jaben will put such small items on their webby. Just head down and enquire.
wink.gif

Nov 27, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #24 of 787
Okay I just got mine today and my first impression is very very good so far.   I haven't done any A/B testing yet, so take this however you please. 

Compare to the M50, the M50 seem slightly congested with vocal and has the clastrophobic syndrome.   The bass isn't like the M50 at all.  These seem more balanced although colored and has bass emphasised.  The M50 bass just hit deep and creep up when needed. My ears doesn't sweat like the M50. But the M50 does have it's edge that it sounds fuller.  the esw9 might sound more refine though especially vocal.  Vocal are more detailed and more natural. The M50 might have a flatter sound. Overall the esw9a has a better sound presentation with its more forward and natural vocal.  The esw9 seems to be just better period.  Pure fun and nicely colored.

Compare to the es7,  these just eat them up.  The es7 are more aggressive with it speed and punchyness, but these aren't a slouch. Still punchy and also give you the lower range that the es7 doesn't seem to be able to reach. The esw9 are just better in every way although not as bassy enough to get your feet to really tap.  I know this is not a fair contest. The es7 in my opinion does not look as good as these and when the es7 are on your head, forget it.  They are just flat out silly looking (unless you are a girl).  These just look good and natural on you head.  I don't know it might be my big head size that the es7 look silly.

I'm going to keep this short for now because I know that first impression is always different from what you feel later.  I don't know how other headphone around $200 or more sound, but I do know these seem to be worth the price as portable.  The bass is not so bad as I thought.  They can hold themselves pretty well.  I so far notice that if the track has good bass these will do well, but if the bass is lacking then you might crave for more.  Although, the fact that it does so well in other area it to make it up.  The voices on these sounds amazing so far. I do notice that these are harder to drive than the es7 and the M50, but still very easy to drive.  I have to up the volume just a little to hear the same as my other headphones.  The esw9 are so smooth.

For portable these do deliver and worth the penny spent. again, this is just my first listening session. I'm overall please as of right now...the only problem is now I'm curious about full size comparable and I might also get a portable amp.  The D2000 seems to come to mind right now.
wink.gif
bah! I hate what this hobby does to my wallet!
redface.gif

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #25 of 787
Today I got adventurous after spending some time in the Thunderpants and Orthodynamic Round Up threads, and seeing the Damping Diagrams; I decided to start modding my ESWAs.

I used so far a screwdriver and some 3M Durapore Fabric Tape.

I will show images in the reserved section following this post.

What I did was remove the Lambskin Leather pads, remove the felt coverings over the drivers, unscrew and remove the driver housings, then unscrew and remove the cups from the baffles.

I then proceeded to cover the inside of the cups with 3 progressively smaller in circumference sized layers of Durapore Fabric Tape, ending in just a square, and screwing the cups back on to the baffle.

Next I removed the yellow felt/foam damping material from the back of the drivers completely, and placed 20 or so squares each on the driver central circular hump, vertically making a stack, to replace the yellow felt/foam damping material.

Tomorrow I plan to cover the grooves up on the backside of the driver assembly with two layers of 3M Micropore Tape.or maybe just one layer, I havent decided yet.

Thats it for Midnight Modding!

Nov 28, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #26 of 787
Reserved

Update 1: 02/09/2011:

Currently the finest Headphones in my inventory. Also I just noticed your comment and my lapse to MAKE A REVIEW on SOUND QUALITY and Impressions. Oh dear heaven. Well the news in the short run is I adore the SQ, the size, shape, comfort, fit, everything about them. Except the dinky stock cord. I sent them in to an Audiotailor to have them Recabled. I listened to them recabled and they're even NICER than with the stock cables, which are small guage and puny IMHO. I'm speaking about the actual wire. The conductor on the Recable is 6N UPOCC Copper 24 AWG stuff, quite nice. There was one complaint I had about the jack I selected and one flaw in the strain relief, so they are bounced back to the Recabler's for refit ATM. No big deal. Audio Quality is just as stunning as Stock ATH-ESW9A, with a bit more clarity, resolution, and bass extension. I approve. I should be getting them back before the San Francisco Bay Area February 19th Head-Fi Meetup so I'll really get to test their salt with lots of different gear.

BTW, I've adopted some of the tricks of the Ortho Roundup folks and applied some Damping schemes to my ATH-ESW9A's, some Open Cell Foam, with a layer of Durapore Tape to damp sound reflections, and in the Earpad, some layers of Felt to enhance the Bass, and darken the sound signature a tad, as well as a layer of Sponge a la Grado Bowls to bring out the treble resolution seperation below the Earpads, in front of the Drivers.

They sound great with the additional pieces of kit stacked in.

I'll have to do a more qualitative analysis when I have more time.

Nov 29, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #27 of 787
Hey definitely post picture and let us know how it went with SQ.

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #28 of 787
Hey guys, could anyone help me out with my ESW9a's?  One of the cup's hinges is too tight (too resistant to rotation), and so I'd like to loosen it.  Could anyone explain to me how I might do this?

Thanks,

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back