Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Feb 8, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #32 of 787
My understanding is that they're exactly the same.

BTW, I got my pair a week ago, and I'm very pleased.  They're like a portable version of my ATH-W100s.  Same honey-sweet midrange and really good bass texture.  This is the "typical AT sound" I'm used to, since every AT headphone I've heard has a similar sound signature (W1000, W100, CK7, ESW9).  I'll have access to my Earmax Pro next  week so I can't to hook these up. 

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #35 of 787
well i am considering getting one of these beauties as my portable headphones, along with my SM3s. 

how does this pair of headphones fare with melodic metalcore and hardstyle? 

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #37 of 787
I recently got the ESW9.  Amazing headphones.  Simply amazing for low impedance phones.  I can't believe it sounds so good without amping.  I am sold, I am now an AT fan.   

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #38 of 787
An ipod can drive these no problems no amp needed, sounds great.

I am addicted to my ibassoT3 amp and the slight warmth kick it can give though.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #39 of 787

Probably not the best for those styles.  I think the "slowness" of these cans is overstated, but they don't have an aggressive edge.  Modest Mouse works fine, but I wouldn't consider these ideal for anything much more energetic.
( I have a pair of ES-10s on order which should be good for that).

Quote:
well i am considering getting one of these beauties as my portable headphones, along with my SM3s. 

how does this pair of headphones fare with melodic metalcore and hardstyle? 

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #40 of 787

Well, I've been driving them through my tube amp at home, and although it helps it's not a tremendous improvement.  Tighter bass and bigger soundstage, but not a quantum leap in SQ.  Based on that, I'm not sure how much a portable amp would help.

They do sound damn lush though-- such a beautiful midrange!

Quote:
Any sound difference with a nice portable amp?

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #41 of 787

Quote:

I guess I'm a sucker for midrange.  These phones sound very detailed to me while others may disagree, it reveals the details I like.  I consider these phones as a portable HD650 that doesn't leak sound and doesn't need amping. :)

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #42 of 787

Quote:
Quote:

I guess I'm a sucker for midrange.  These phones sound very detailed to me while others may disagree, it reveals the details I like.  I consider these phones as a portable HD650 that doesn't leak sound and doesn't need amping. :)

Very intriguing graphs. It proves to me that graphs are not the be all and end all of the Sound Rendering Equation. I can tell with my own eyes in this graph the ATH-ESW9(A) and HD650 should sound realy very similar, but in real life nothing could be farther than the truth. The HD650 are honky treblemonsters, and nowhere near as smooth as the ATH-ESW9(A).

I'm happy you're getting along with the set, though, and equally glad you've got some love for the senns. Theyre both rated as great sets.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #43 of 787
So, uh... breakage problems I've been hearing about.

Would these do well in a backpack going through airports, then being stowed away under the seat in front of you on said plane for increments of 16 and 8 hours? It looks like these require quite a bit of care, and jostling around in a backpack full of console systems and books, I'm not getting the impression they'll hold up. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back