Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Aug 31, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #646 of 787
I might be getting a used ATH-ESW9s and I might(?) need to replace the ear pads.
What are the different options for ear pads for the ESW9?

Aug 31, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #647 of 787
  My current portables are JVC HA-S680 and I'm thinking of replacing them with the Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A.
(My current preferred at home headphones are the ATH-W1000X).
Anyone have any regrets buying the ESW9/ESW9A headphones?

Only regret is that the cable on mine wore out after two years of heavy usage.

I would've repurchased a pair if I didn't switch to iems.
  I might be getting a used ATH-ESW9s and I might(?) need to replace the ear pads.
What are the different options for ear pads for the ESW9?

I think all AT earsuit headphone pads fit the ESW9, but the ESW9 lambskin pads are the best amongst them all. They have a bowl-shaped curve to them, which allows for almost an around-ear fit. Very, very comfortable for an on-ear.

Aug 31, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #648 of 787

Only regret is that the cable on mine wore out after two years of heavy usage.

I would've repurchased a pair if I didn't switch to iems.

I think all AT earsuit headphone pads fit the ESW9, but the ESW9 lambskin pads are the best amongst them all. They have a bowl-shaped curve to them, which allows for almost an around-ear fit. Very, very comfortable for an on-ear.

I can get the generic ear pads for the ESW9 off eBay for $10.
But what is the cost for original Audio Technica (lamb skin) ear pads?

Aug 31, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #650 of 787
I love my ESW9 earpads. Besides being very comfortable, they are holding up great with all the sweaty hiking I do with them ... several hundreds of miles. If the budget allows, stick with the originals.

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:56 AM Post #651 of 787

I can get the generic ear pads for the ESW9 off eBay for $10.
But what is the cost for original Audio Technica (lamb skin) ear pads?

Around $35 from Audio Technica if I recall correctly.  Overpriced but worth it compared to other pads.

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #652 of 787
My (used off eBay) ATH-ESW9s arrive yesterday, so far I'm liking the sound, guess the diaphragms are well broken in.
Used ATH-ESW9 with a used FiiO E11 scored off eBay for $107, life is good.

Sep 7, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #653 of 787
I love my ESW9. They still remain the only set of headphones I regretted selling so much that I ended up buying another pair.

Not particularly amazing at anything, but they are so pleasant and easy to listen to. They are my favourite headphones for around the house and doing chores since they are light and small with a cable that's actually sized to be portable, making them simply plug and go.

I spend more time with them than I do with my Stax... 
redface.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #654 of 787
Yes I might have to re-buy a pair of these if they still sell them, I do miss them.  I sold mine to buy the ESW10JP which are my go-to portables, when I'm not in the mood to shove my Heirs in my ears!  I have great appreciation for the ESW9, just wanted to +1 this thread for that reason!  Are they still available for sale?

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #655 of 787
  I love my ESW9. They still remain the only set of headphones I regretted selling so much that I ended up buying another pair.

Not particularly amazing at anything, but they are so pleasant and easy to listen to. They are my favourite headphones for around the house and doing chores since they are light and small with a cable that's actually sized to be portable, making them simply plug and go.

I spend more time with them than I do with my Stax... 
redface.gif

More time with your ESW-9 than with your Stax?

Much as I like my ESW-9 headphones, they are certainly NOT in the same league as Stax.   
biggrin.gif

But the ESW-9 are far easier to use when I want something more portable, LOL!

Sep 21, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #656 of 787
Had these for a long time, first actual pair of decent headphones which I bought second hand off another head fi member.
Broke the hinges again and again, gluing them back every time. Until i totally wrecked them in a stupid way..
After using a pair of beats in ears that came with my new phone, I wanted a new pair of cans and bought a pair of aiaiai tma-1 studios.
After a week I got rid of them, as I remembered the ESW's to be so much more natural and musical to my ears, I instantly bought a pair from amazon, speed shipment to Europe. And received them in less than a week. 

I've got this new pair in my possession for a couple of weeks now, and as I am listening to them at this moment, can say these are the headphones I will be sticking with for decades to come. Perfect for my taste, I am a junkie for mids (lush guitars, synths and vocals), bass is well pronounced and punchy enough for me, slightly recessed highs are also welcome to my ears. The tern Euphonic definitely suits them. For a pair of headphones to wear when studying (also at university) and on the move (cycling/public transport etc) they are well designed, light and short cable. 
Happy I got a new pair of these puppies! Well worth the money as they cost me 200 euros including shipping and VAT. (used to be much higher)

The cups and plastics on the new and the old are a bit different in colour, this could be from use / UV light coloration, but it looks like a different plastic color all together. The wood might just be different from it being a different tree...

I just love them!

Sep 21, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #657 of 787

Congrats on your new ESW9s. I continue to feel the same way after owning mine for a year and a half; their tonal quality is well suited for my tastes. I hike 50-60 miles a month with these on, sweating profusely at times, and they are holding up quite well. They are the best headphones I've ever owned for under $1,000.

Perhaps the reason for the color difference is because there are two versions, the original ESW9 and the newer ESW9A. Here in the states the 9A uses padauk wood with a dark grayish plastic while the 9s I believe are mahogany with a black plastic. Purportedly, AT improved the design of the swivel from when they first came out in 2007, so they are less likely to break. I've never had a problem.

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #658 of 787
You are spot on! I think my old ones are the non A version, and the new ones are the A version.
Funny I came back to this thread just because I noticed the swivel elements have a different design. The older one had a stupid gap where it needed the strength the most. (tension on the inside) They look much sturdier indeed. 

About the wood being a different type, I don't know. But they sure do look different, the non-A versions paint laquer also seems a bit deeper/ more 3d-ish if you know what I mean. Higher quality look on the wood, + slightly different grain. For the depth of the paint I cannot make photo's as you need to move the cans in the light to see it.

Unfortunately i cannot compare the sound as the old one has a broken driver...

Sep 22, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #659 of 787
my understanding is that the sound is the same, just different aesthetically.

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #660 of 787
posted a question on the wrong thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back