Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Jan 23, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #556 of 787
You know you spend too much time on Head-Fi when:

You wake up from a nightmare that the new pair of ESW9s you just bought from Amazon are fakes and the drivers are red inside and sound like !@#$.

I haven't had a pair of ESW9s for awhile but I almost bought another pair (for the third time) over the weekend and it must have been on my mind.

Only other ESW9 owners would appreciate the level of insanity.  

Jan 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #558 of 787
Seeing this thread reminded me that my ATH-ESW9's were sitting unused in my gear drawer: one of the joints broke two years ago and I figured they were unusable (although I loved them when the worked). Does anyone know how I can get them repaired?

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #559 of 787
  Seeing this thread reminded me that my ATH-ESW9's were sitting unused in my gear drawer: one of the joints broke two years ago and I figured they were unusable (although I loved them when the worked). Does anyone know how I can get them repaired?

Do you have an image? I have the ESW10 JPN, and the joint is the weak place on these. I have cemented mine, they were breaking, and make sure that everything could still go back together. They work fine and are often repairable. I used a good quality super glue, building it some after the first glue set up and was hard. I also read of some filling in the entire area with epoxy but then you could not open up the cover again. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #560 of 787

Contact AT USA and you can get the replacement part for around $6.  I bought a couple as spares when I got my ESW9's as I had always heard that was the weak point....but luckily no problems yet. 

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #561 of 787
good to know ...

Mar 13, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #563 of 787
Joining the club, mine arrives on Friday.

Good for you ... you won't be disappointed. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #564 of 787
mmm
still deciding if i should do the mod.
I got my hands on some dynamat but i don't really want to open it up :frowning2:
strange considering i opened up my D5000 to do the lawton mod

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #565 of 787
If you have the skill to do a nice mod, I'd say go for it as long as it's reversible.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #567 of 787
mmm
still deciding if i should do the mod.
I got my hands on some dynamat but i don't really want to open it up :frowning2:
strange considering i opened up my D5000 to do the lawton mod

They are extremely easy to open up, I did it several times to replace the drivers. As long as you don't yank the drivers out all crazy and rip out the wires you'll be fine. Nothing to it really. Just a couple of screws.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #568 of 787
They are extremely easy to open up, I did it several times to replace the drivers. As long as you don't yank the drivers out all crazy and rip out the wires you'll be fine. Nothing to it really. Just a couple of screws.

You must really like listening loud to have had to replace drivers a few times. :wink:

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #569 of 787

It's got more to do with removing the felt fabric covering drivers cos you need to remove that to access the screws to open up the headphones

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #570 of 787

You must really like listening loud to have had to replace drivers a few times. :wink:

haha, no nothing like that. I've just owned several pairs. One had faulty drivers which I replaced, another I messed up during my very first attempt at recableing. The drivers are cheap enough that it wasn't so bad, though. Good learning experience :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back