Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9 and ATH-ESW9A Thread
Feb 21, 2012 at 2:52 PM Post #136 of 787
Two weeks now with my ESW9 and they have become my favorite.  I would really like to be a little more discrete at work but really enjoy the sound signature of the ESW9, could anyone suggest a ESW9 like IEM?

I currently have the TF10, IE8, MDR-EX600 and have owned the MTPC, ASG-1 and a few others but nothing comes close to the warm sweet sound of these.  I would like to end up with just one or two IEMS and the ESW9. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #137 of 787
Quote:
Two weeks now with my ESW9 and they have become my favorite.  I would really like to be a little more discrete at work but really enjoy the sound signature of the ESW9, could anyone suggest a ESW9 like IEM?

That'd be the holy grail. At the time I doubted but people said I would realise the luscious delivery of female vocals will not be duplicated anywhere else. They were right. Have not encountered again since. Just a shame about their build quality but then partly my fault for allowing the sibling to borrow/break them
rolleyes.gif
Certainly ahead of my UM2 in every respect. Still it is knowing repeating an expensive import saga that would require shipping back to Japan is what puts me off

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #138 of 787
The parts division here is the US has been excellent in supplying replacement parts for my ES7 and VERY inexpensive so you might want to contact the UK Parts division and see if they can get you fixed up:

http://www.eu.audio-technica.com/en/contact/#contactForm

By Phone
Tel: 0113 277 1441 (option 4)
(Mon-Fri 9am to 5pm GMT)

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #139 of 787
Long time lurker, just dropping off some photos for people like me who couldn't get enough of these beauties while waiting for delivery
(these came from beach camera)
Only other headphone I could compare this to would be my old MDR d66SL eggos, but to be honest, these are in a completely different class, even though they both are "portable" the two are night and day difference. I wonder what a set of d66 are worth these days? Regardless, these are amazing.
DSC01108.jpg

DSC01110.jpg

DSC01113.jpg

DSC01115.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

DSC01121.jpg

DSC01122.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

DSC01126.jpg

eek.gif
UNBOXING VIDEO 
popcorn.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #142 of 787
Pleased to report that these headphones have been performing well, I'm very happy with them. I will admit though I thought that I could wear them all day when I first put them on, but after 2 hours or so my ears were quite sore. They just need to stretch out a bit, other than that great set of headphones

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #143 of 787
I've got about 120 hours on my new ESW9s and together with the Sony A867 they're delivering an amazing experience. Deep, textured bass. Full-bodied and silky smooth mids. Rolled off highs - very polite - with no harshness. Surprisingly wide soundstage too. I listen to mid to low tempo nujazz and jazz and they're fairly magical with this kind of music. 

Out of the box they were a bit boomy actually, but that disappeared altogether after putting many hours of burn-in on them. To my ears I don't see these as muffled as some have claimed. Perhaps they needed that burn-in? Perhaps it's a question of clamp pressure and fit. Or maybe it's the wood styling that just gives that impression? When trialling on-ear phones in general, I've found that pressing down hard can make a headphone boom, and wearing them light can make them 'tweet'. I'm lucky that the ESW9 fits my head and ears like a glove. Their comfort has taken me by surprise.

One aspect of Joker's review that was particularly insightful: these headphones are beautiful and even though they're not flimsy per se, there is definitely the tendency to baby them. They're much smaller than they look in photographs, but they're not compact and they don't isolate well. They're actually more of a portable 'home use' headphone rather than an on-the-go piece of kit.

My Sony A867 (64GB) is the Japanese version, which comes with digital noise cancelling (when used with stock IEMs). I love this for listening to podcasts on the tube. I bought it from the Malaysian equivalent of Craigslist! As much as I loved my X1500, this is hands-down the better sounding player. The narrow soundstage/crosstalk of the X is gone. It's altogether more clinical and when paired with the ESW9 I feel there's a great balance between the two with no EQ necessary.

I chose the ESW9 because from reading the archives it looks like it has never been flavour of the month. Five years on it is still highly regarded, used and recommended by Head-fiers. Count me amongst their number! Thanks to the members who took the time to respond to my PMs as I researched the portable on-ear landscape. I made the right choice on portable source gear and portable headphone and my wallet has no complaints.

Mar 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #144 of 787
I also noticed quite an improvement after even just a couple hours of taking out of the box. At first I was kinda underwhelmed and was second guessing my purchase, but the more I listened the more I knew I had made the right decision. And yes, they look much bigger in photos than they really are, I mean I've got it pictured up above with the worlds smallest Hi-MD player and the ESW9's make the EH1 look huge!

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #145 of 787
You are the same Kardon from the now defunct MiniDisc.org, aren't you? IIRC you used to have an NH1 as avatar, or was it something else?

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #147 of 787
Ah yes, such fond memories of the MDCF! What a great community that was! A shame that it was merged into SI; it never was the same afterwards.

I still plan to hunt a blue NH3D and a champagne NH1 down some time; I should get my friend Hard-Off aficionado in Yokohama to check on them before they disappear from the radar like the EH1 has. Looking at your pics I kind of felt some regret of selling my backup unit. Ah well, I hope my current one keeps going on strong, and with the DX100 eventually coming in, it should have some rest.

Nice avatar, BTW
wink.gif

Edit: Ha, by checking my ATB messages, I found that we've had some business together, Kardon: I sold you some TDK Ho MiniDiscs a couple of years ago. I'd forgotten about that!

Mar 6, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #148 of 787
I thought your name seemed familiar Kardon! I just checked the old board and my review of the Toshiba Gigabeat G20 from 2003 is still there. I was young at the time so it makes for somewhat painful reading :) That was the end of an era for me, when I sold my N1 and E10 and started slumming it with MP3 players. What a beautiful player the E10 was. I've only recently gotten my enthusiasm for hifi sound back, hence I find myself making my first posts on Head-fi in 7 years.

Regarding the ESW9, not only was the change in sound dramatic over the burn-in period, I didn't actually listen to the phone in the interim, so it can't be my ears/brain adjusting. I have a semi-empirical to guide me when it comes to bass bloat as well. One of my favourite tracks is a piece called "Sure Thing" by St. Germain. It features a repetitive sloppy midbass sample throughout that can easily overwhelm more subtle elements of the song. In the right channel there is a very faint twang of a guitar or banjo-like instrument and out of the box I couldn't even make it out. Now I can hear it as clearly as I can on much brighter headphones I've owned and tested. This is my standard ploy to confirm whether a headphone can keep control of its bass region and the ESW9 passed with flying colours, but only after some encouragement.

I still don't consider the ESW9 a practical portable for my purposes, so I will probably buy-to-try the DT1350 at some point.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #149 of 787
Hi, I've read loads of reviews talking about how the ESW9 sounding divine with female vocals, but would love to know how does it fare with the deep male vocals? Would the lower end sound too thick with these headphones? Love to hear some opinions from those that own these cans. :)

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #150 of 787
Really like the ESW9....so much that I purchased a second pair!  I have modded both pairs with upgrade cables.  One pair with DHC Symbiote and the other with Blue Dragon, both cables increase performance without losing that beautiful Audio Technica sound.  The DHC cable improves detail, very neutral cable, makes the ESW9 even more musical sounding.  The Blue Dragon on the ESW9 takes them to a new level entirely, tighter faster bass, more dynamic punchy sound, large/huge soundstage, more extended highs, all this without losing that Audio Technica "house sound".  Blue Dragon takes the ESW9 sound very close to full size Audio Technica headphone sound....IMHO!

Both cables were built for under $75 ea with DIY wire and parts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back