Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #991 of 1,113
Audio-Technica really made some horrible choices in materials for the ES10... Actually, that statement applies to all the ES line, its really a shame.
However the ES10 is still one of my favorite portable headphones :)

If repairing your pair is too expensive and you really want to look for another pair of portables, I would recommend you try out the B&O H6. It sounds really sweet with good mid bass, and the comfort is top notch. The bass doesn't have the same presence and body as in the ES10, but its really detailed and the headphone sounds more balanced overall.
If you are looking for good bass impact and slam, the Master & Dynamic MH40 is also a great headphone. the bass can however become overwhelmingly boomy on some music, and even feel loose... and unless you have small ears, comfort can be an issue.

Both these headphones (H6 and MH40) are very well built headphones and the materials used are far more durable than the ES10. They both cost around 400$ btw.

Another headphone I own and love is the Aëdle VK1, and their price dropped a few months ago! Very dark background and detailed sound. Bass is tight and punchy, I really like it! The headphone itself is simply beautiful but beware of scratches. Also, they are on-ear and can feel a bit tight if you have a big head.

Hope this helps!

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #992 of 1,113
I replaced the padded headband with something I found on eBay, sold as a direct replacement.   It is still likely pleather, but it has held up now for several years.   If I need to replace it again, I will use some soft leather I have and make it myself.  I had long ago replaced and upgraded the cable.  I am into these 'phones for the long haul

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #993 of 1,113
Thanks...I tried Bang and Olufsen H6 in shop and they sound kind of quite and they did not have much bass in my opinion.Not for my kind of music (trance,chill out,drum and bass).On the other side I was impressed with Bang and Olufsen H2, they had a lot more bass than H6,but somehow too much,that bass was quite a boomy and overbload.Definetely not as punchy as I would like to have.
Did not here MH40, but I have larger ears than average with could be problem for me.So far I have home Fidelio x2,amazing sound and bass,but not portable.And I have Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear 2.0,and I like the sound of them,but my large ears are very "tight" in it,so when Im use them at gym my ears get quite hot,so thinking to send them back.I think about new Audio Technica ATH-ES750 which finaly have removable cable, but can not listen to them, so it is just buy from ebay and hope they good.. :)

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #994 of 1,113
Thanks...I tried Bang and Olufsen H6 in shop and they sound kind of quite and they did not have much bass in my opinion.Not for my kind of music (trance,chill out,drum and bass).On the other side I was impressed with Bang and Olufsen H2, they had a lot more bass than H6,but somehow too much,that bass was quite a boomy and overbload.Definetely not as punchy as I would like to have.
Did not here MH40, but I have larger ears than average with could be problem for me.So far I have home Fidelio x2,amazing sound and bass,but not portable.And I have Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear 2.0,and I like the sound of them,but my large ears are very "tight" in it,so when Im use them at gym my ears get quite hot,so thinking to send them back.I think about new Audio Technica ATH-ES750 which finaly have removable cable, but can not listen to them, so it is just buy from ebay and hope they good.. :)

The es10 are of a different caliber than the es750s. You will not be impressed by the es750s.

Edit: Auditioned the international model ES770H instead of ES750

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #996 of 1,113
Did you heard 750s?Because they are very new model and not many peoole heard them.

Yes I have heard them, compared to my es10s the sound is smaller and more congested, bass is bloaty and its overall sound lacked the sparkle of the es10s.

Edit: Comparing ES10s with ES770H

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #999 of 1,113
Good question..if they have similar sound signature as 10s with wood cups,replacable cabel and lamb skin they would be the best portable headphones by far.

Yeah the ESW950 is a much more interesting headphone than the ES750 IMO. But I'm sure the headband will still be pleather... and the cable connectors seem proprietary. Not ideal for aftermarket replacements, especially if the ES750 and ESW950 are the only headphones using these connectors today!

However the main question now is: how do they sound?

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #1,000 of 1,113
Did you by any chance also try the new esw950? How do these compare with the es10?

I haven't done the comparison, I can head down to the nearest headphone store if I am free.. 

Edit: You can ask from headfier lalala6. He has tried various times the audio technica line ups. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #1,001 of 1,113
I've tried the ES770H and ESW990H.
Heard from my local Audio Technica office that they are similar to the ES750 and ES950, but tuned for international market.
After listening briefly to both models, they don't have the Audio Technica house sound in them, which I have grown to love.
Gone is the slight emphasis in the upper mids or lower treble. Didn't really compare them to my ES collection though.

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #1,002 of 1,113
I've tried the ES770H and ESW990H.
Heard from my local Audio Technica office that they are similar to the ES750 and ES950, but tuned for international market.
After listening briefly to both models, they don't have the Audio Technica house sound in them, which I have grown to love.
Gone is the slight emphasis in the upper mids or lower treble. Didn't really compare them to my ES collection though.

I don't know for whatever reasons they chose to brand it in a different model name.
Could it be that the es770h were mass produced somewhere else in China but the 750s were only made in Japan?

Apr 7, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #1,003 of 1,113
I don't know for whatever reasons they chose to brand it in a different model name.
Could it be that the es770h were mass produced somewhere else in China but the 750s were only made in Japan?

I don't think so. According to my local Audio Technica office, it was branded with a different model number as it sounds different from the Japanese domestic model.

Apr 7, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #1,004 of 1,113
Sorry guys... i have to retract my earlier statement of ATH-ES10 vs ATH-ES750.

I auditioned the ES770H assuming they were the same models.
It would be helpful if someone can confirm that these two models (ES770H and ES750) sounds differently. 
I don't think so. According to my local Audio Technica office, it was branded with a different model number as it sounds different from the Japanese domestic model.

And both their MSRP is similar as well, it just makes me question the sound quality of the Japanese model having heard the ES770H. 
But until someone actually confirms their difference, there will be no clear sayings on that. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #1,005 of 1,113
Sorryguys... i have to retract my earlier statement of ATH-ES10 vs ATH-ES750.

I auditioned the ES770H assuming they were the same models.
It would be helpful if someone can confirm that these two models (ES770H and ES750) sounds differently. 
And both their MSRP is similar as well, it just makes me question the sound quality of the Japanese model having heard the ES770H. 
But until someone actually confirms their difference, there will be no clear sayings on that. 

It would be hard to compare the 2 models since most markets would probably retail only one of the models. You probably have to wait till someone travels abroad and compare the 2 models.

Sound quality wise I would think that they should be on par, just with a differs tuning. (Heard from my local AT office its something like more sub-bass or something, can't remember clearly)

But the ES10 sound different from the ES7, ESW9 and their successors. Different drivers, different housing material, different tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back