Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Apr 8, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #1,006 of 1,113
  Try giving it some time.

I have 2 sets of ES10s.
One used pair which I've used for around a year.
Another pair I got together with my ESW11LTD. This pair stays at home almost exclusively (to prevent scratches) and I only use it once in a while.

I just compared to 2.

I can say the burn in does tame the sound. It isn't a heaven and earth difference, it's just subtle, but enough to make it more enjoyable.

You can also try pairing it with a good amp. It benefits quite a bit when paired well with an amp.
It makes the bass a lot more controlled and midrange less muddy.
If the bass is too much for your liking, try pairing it with an amp with a slight bass roll-off. It'll clean up the bass.

Alternatively, try the ESW11LTD. It's a more refined version of the ES10.
Personally I like the ES10 for EDM, etc...
Everything else I prefer the ESW11LTD.

Hi..is there bass much different between es10 and esw11? I have es10s and love bass from them...Im listen mostly EDM..like trance,chill step,drum and bass...But cable got broken and Im looking for replacement..Can bid some esw11ltd... :)Love wood finish much more..

Apr 8, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #1,007 of 1,113
Hi..is there bass much different between es10 and esw11? I have es10s and love bass from them...Im listen mostly EDM..like trance,chill step,drum and bass...But cable got broken and Im looking for replacement..Can bid some esw11ltd... :)Love wood finish much more..

I've done a brief comparison between the 2 before. Let me find it...

Edit: Here it is http://www.head-fi.org/t/631719/new-audio-technica-ath-esw11ltd/660#post_10768770

The ES10 and ESW11LTD both sound different though. Why not consider recabling your ES10 with a aftermarket cable since it's the cable that broke?

I think the ES10 suits the type of music that you listen more.

Apr 11, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #1,008 of 1,113
Hi guys ,does anyone replace headband pads on ES10?There are same cheap on ebay for ES10...Some chinese copy, but looks very identical..
Also did you change ear pads for esw9 or esw11 lamb skin pads ? How is comfort ,noise isolation and sound after?

Apr 11, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #1,009 of 1,113
Hi guys ,does anyone replace headband pads on ES10?There are same cheap on ebay for ES10...Some chinese copy, but looks very identical..
Also did you change ear pads for esw9 or esw11 lamb skin pads ? How is comfort ,noise isolation and sound after?

Haven't tried the chinese headband from ebay. It does look similar but I guess it will just deteriorate like the stock headband. Could be a good replacement though if you don't mind changing it again after 2 years.

I changed the earpads on my pair to the HP-ESW11 and I can't recall a huge change in sound. However the wearing comfort is GREATLY increased and this makes the upgrade really worth it!

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #1,010 of 1,113
Haven't tried the chinese headband from ebay. It does look similar but I guess it will just deteriorate like the stock headband. Could be a good replacement though if you don't mind changing it again after 2 years.

I changed the earpads on my pair to the HP-ESW11 and I can't recall a huge change in sound. However the wearing comfort is GREATLY increased and this makes the upgrade really worth it!

Thanks buddy..are they the same size as originals? Or a bit larger? Are they also less sweaty? :)

Apr 11, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #1,011 of 1,113
Thanks buddy..are they the same size as originals? Or a bit larger? Are they also less sweaty? :)

Diameter is the same as stock ES10 pads. The chassis if the ES10 and ESW11 is the same, so the pads fit perfectly. Their shape is different though as the ES10 pads are like a doughnut and the ESW11 pads are more cone-like. In practice this makes the ESW11 pads feel larger and less "on-ear".
And of course, since the pads are lambskin, they are much much much less sweaty than the crappy pleather es10 pads.

Seriously man, putting these pads on my es10 was probably the best thing I ever did to them.

Apr 11, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,013 of 1,113
By the way, did you bid on that ESW11 you were talking about?
I was very tempted to bid on it but now's not the best time for me to purchase another pair of headphones :S

No I did not after..it was on cca 300 pounds and right now is norwegian kroner down,so it would be lot.And I have Es10s which are amazing and probably best portable for my kind of music.So I just recable them and give them new pads and they gonna be my new headphones. :grinning:

Apr 11, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #1,014 of 1,113
No I did not after..it was on cca 300 pounds and right now is norwegian kroner down,so it would be lot.And I have Es10s which are amazing and probably best portable for my kind of music.So I just recable them and give them new pads and they gonna be my new headphones. :grinning:

Right, I thought the same thing: really tempting but still a lot of money...

Of all the portable headphones I own, VK1, H6, ESW9, ES10, MH40... I find myself going for the ES10 most of the time. They really are one of a kind!

My wife usually takes the H6. It suits her musical taste better I guess... And that's great! We rarely fight for the same headphones :)

Apr 12, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #1,015 of 1,113
Right, I thought the same thing: really tempting but still a lot of money...

Of all the portable headphones I own, VK1, H6, ESW9, ES10, MH40... I find myself going for the ES10 most of the time. They really are one of a kind!

My wife usually takes the H6. It suits her musical taste better I guess... And that's great! We rarely fight for the same headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

I understand you...I have ES10s for about 5 years and I never realized how amazing they are until few months ago my cable got broken.I was looking and trying diffrent portable headphones ,but none of them reach sound quality of ES10s especially bass and clarity.They are such a unique.I did not bid on ESW11 also because heard bass is not quite at the same level as ES10s. ES10s are like two subwoofer next to your head.They have very nice tight and fast bass,very detailed too.There are some headphones with more bass quantity, but not with quality.
BTW I prefer look of ESW11 more...but it is sound who is more important to me.

May 7, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #1,017 of 1,113
Hi all, I recently bought this NOS(new old stock).
And, damn the earpad is so easy chipped off, got two damaged spot already. Is it typical or I bought a fake product?(but I never seen a fake problem on es10)
And I might want to buy a replacement if it is not too costy, could someone tell me where to order a genuine earpad replacement?
I can only found unbranded 3Rd party replacement in Internet.

May 22, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #1,018 of 1,113
Hi all, I recently bought this NOS(new old stock).
And, damn the earpad is so easy chipped off, got two damaged spot already. Is it typical or I bought a fake product?(but I never seen a fake problem on es10)
And I might want to buy a replacement if it is not too costy, could someone tell me where to order a genuine earpad replacement?
I can only found unbranded 3Rd party replacement in Internet.

Old pleather earpads can chip easily. That's the main drawback with pleather. I recently was in Japan for 2 weeks and there they sell genuine replacement earpads on places like Yodobashi Camera (electronics store).

These Ebay listings seem to be genuine earpads:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Audio-Technica-HP-ES10-Replacement-Ear-Pads-for-ATH-ES10-Pair-/131816011916?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/audio-technica-HP-ES10-Ear-Pad-Earpads-for-Headphone-ATH-ES10-Original-Brand-New/111927204631?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36465%26meid%3D847ac95d40f04882b6aa5bf0a615e1bf%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D131816011916

Jun 7, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #1,019 of 1,113
I was listening to Hifiman HE1000 on amps for +-2k dollars and to some other expensive home headphones like Audeze lcd 3 or sen HD800s recently and... none of them was capable of low bass as ES10. No drum kick, no massive sound from orchestra. ES10 with mobile phone has better bass, than 3k reference headphone with Chord Hugo:D. Also HE1000 was quite bright and fatigue on higher mids. They were great otherwise but not 3k great. None of them was honestly worth their price.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #1,020 of 1,113
i own es10 almost for 2years and half and i still consider it to be the best headphone ever in portable category and not far from top open high end soundwise. I sold my Studio player some time ago and didnt have any DAC since. I felt need to buy something again as i need something for my traveling to work. I wanted to try something else than Studio, so i went to headphone shop and did some listening and choose x5ii. Best combo with es10 was Astell Kern AK120ii but definitely not worth 5x higher price, so im going with fiio. What is your favourite source? Any love for es10?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back