Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #977 of 1,113
Nice! Welcome to the club then
smily_headphones1.gif

Could you give us some details? What are the super mods on the ES10 you acquired?

I'll just post the measurements of it, @Bill-P will have to tell you exactly what he did :3

Sounds really nice though, bass is very clean better than all of my dynamics, and almost as good as my HE 4 it's nice though. With laid back, and mellow jazz it's a very mellow can, with screaming edge HEAVY METAL, it screams. Which is pretty cool. My HE 4/pW1000X SCREAM with everything, which isn't a bad thing, and my LA D5k is... the I guess... most even of all of them with it's attack/Decay mix. Bass on the LA D5k is a little laid back, mids and treble have a nice bite. [my TH X00 is for EDM an Metal only atm :3, the Alpha Pads I slapped on it give it some awesome sub bass, but outside of those genres it's way to bassy]

With the bESP10 [that's what I'm calling this thing atm] really being the most even of the bunch in terms of attack/decay. It's fast when it needs to be, and has a little extra bit of decay when it's wanted. I would have to guess that given how loud and UP FRONT metal is mixed, the sheer attack of everything drowns out what ever decay the bESP10 has, where as with Jazz and classical, which is mixed a LOT quiter, you can appreciate the decay that's there

and alot of the Decay is from my tube amp, without it the bESP10 is a tad to dry for my tastes tbh, how ever I am looking to upgrade the tubes in my amp so we will see how that goes 

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #978 of 1,113
  Yeah, I sort of got the same impression... that the refs are a bit tired of handling inquiries about the ESW11LTD.

Anyhow, I think the ESW9 pads would suffice. Its performance is tested and true to my ears, and the ESW11LTD pads are quite different, so I'm afraid it may again change the sound.

So far I have tried 4 different ear pads on the ES10 (stock, ESW9, aftermarket leather, aftermarket velour), and all of them change the sound in one way or another. I don't doubt that the ESW11LTD pads would also sound different, and I'm not sure if I'll like it any more different. I think the ESW9 pads are perfect... for all intents and purposes.

What's the differences between all the different pads on the ES10? Also what would be a good replacement for for when the ESW9 pads are sold out?

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #980 of 1,113
  these look great. any particular reason to use mmxc connectors rather than 3.5mm connectors?

Sure, main reason was the size. The mmcx connectors were small enough to allow fitting without any destructive mod. The length and diameter of the barrels for 3.5mm and even 2.5mm sockets would mean "carving" a bigger hole in the earcup and driver baffle.

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #981 of 1,113

Sure, main reason was the size. The mmcx connectors were small enough to allow fitting without any destructive mod. The length and diameter of the barrels for 3.5mm and even 2.5mm sockets would mean "carving" a bigger hole in the earcup and driver baffle.

I see. That's great then as I've just bought a pair today and don't want tangled non-removable cables again. Let my know if you ever try using a different cable with them.

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #982 of 1,113
  I see. That's great then as I've just bought a pair today and don't want tangled non-removable cables again. Let my know if you ever try using a different cable with them.

I got two aftermarket cables recently: Forza Hybrid series HPC and Linum BaX both with mmcx termination. I didn't get a chance to give them a good listen yet though because I just moved and I put the ES10 away in a box with my other headphones at the moment. I'll dig them up and give you my impressions when I can.

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #983 of 1,113

I got two aftermarket cables recently: Forza Hybrid series HPC and Linum BaX both with mmcx termination. I didn't get a chance to give them a good listen yet though because I just moved and I put the ES10 away in a box with my other headphones at the moment. I'll dig them up and give you my impressions when I can.

Awesome, thanks! There's no rush. I'm just interested because the stock cable will inevitably break and/or would like to see if there is a sonic upgrade.

Feb 25, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #985 of 1,113

nice.

where did u get this mod done?

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #987 of 1,113
Hello,

I just bought these headphones and I feel a little confused. I plugged them into my samsung s5 and they sound less powerful and has less bass for my edm music. I bought them in a store, not online, where they ordered them from audio techniqa, I don't know if it's directly from them. I don't even know if they are fake if this even possible. Well there was a dude that kinda understood about headphones. I literally in the store unboxed them, and the servicer literally tested them on his phone (not an amp), and he said they produce half of the volumes, and bass, but treble is good. I don't know at this point if they're lying or I need to buy something stronger like an amp.

They are 42 or 62omh impedance?

So what I need, portable amp, or a powerful music decvice(I don't know any though)

Also, they come with amp adapter or not? Also the earcaps feel llike a real titanium or feel like a poor metal?

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #988 of 1,113
This is my "impression" with Audio Technica ATH-ES 10.This is hiw looks 400 dollars heaphones after about 4 years with not heavy use.The fake pleather is peeled off everywhere and it is of horrible quality.Tha cable been broken twice.The cable and jack quality to me looks like from headphones you get for free on flight.
Such a amazing sound quality is down by crappy materials.Shame on you AT.
Does anyone know any another good portable headphones with similar fabolous bass?

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #989 of 1,113
  This is my "impression" with Audio Technica ATH-ES 10.This is hiw looks 400 dollars heaphones after about 4 years with not heavy use.The fake pleather is peeled off everywhere and it is of horrible quality.Tha cable been broken twice.The cable and jack quality to me looks like from headphones you get for free on flight.
Such a amazing sound quality is down by crappy materials.Shame on you AT.
Does anyone know any another good portable headphones with similar fabolous bass?

I couldn't agree with you more... I was really disappointed by the cheap pleather and cable used by AT for the ES10. But all these elements are replaceable! I think it would be a real shame to let go of such wonderful headphones.
The pads can be replaced with real leather pads used on other AT headphones, and the cable is also quite easy to repair/replace.
The tricky part of course is the headband, because audio technica does not sell replacements. Mine also started to crack after about 3 years of use... I have found cheap chinese replacement headbands but didn't want to give them a try because I thought they would be crap anyway. I instead bought a nice piece of black lambskin leather and wrapped the original headband with it.
Real leather can be kept for ages if cared for correctly. I don't understand why headphone manufacturers still use pleather, especially on more expensive headphones. Pleather is simply not durable enough! it cracks and flakes after a few years of use and I have no idea how to prevent it. Its really irritating!!!

Apr 5, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #990 of 1,113
I can replace cable buddy, but its gonna cost me over 100 dollars with post. The pads are replacable, but the genuie lamb skin from ESW9 cost a lot.I bought some chinese velour pads about 2 years ago, but they were horrible itching.So sticked back to original. They use lamb skin on ESW 9 which were quite a lot cheaper and here this crap.
Headphones manufacturers say that pleather (syntethic leather) should last a lot longer, but in real world pleather is less durable and pretty uncomfortable, seems is not breathable like real leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back