Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #646 of 1,113
Yeah. I quite enjoyed mine with the E12 a while back.

Soundstage can be wider, but it has very good depth, and bass control is just right. In fact, quite possibly as good as it can get under $200.

Though if you want to simulate a permanent E12 attached to the headphone, I think the ESW11 ear pads will do that trick.

Sep 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #647 of 1,113
I just ordered a pair of those pads off ebay. I should be receiving the headphones and amp tomorrow. The pads won't be here for another week being shipped from Japan.

I appreciate the advice. Will report back tomorrow with my thoughts.

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #648 of 1,113
Just got my headphone and on certain tracks there is a distinct crackling noise. I don't know if it is a problem with the tracks, a defect or an issue of burning in, but I don't hear it with my other phones. Could someone chime in before I send these back?

Thank you.

edit: it appears that the offending track is at fault, it's just that it wasn't obvious on my other phones. These are starting to really grow on me with an hour of listening.

edit: I'm starting to really love these. So much energy, texture and details I had not heard before from my favourite tracks. Can't wait for the amp to come.

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #649 of 1,113
Yeah... you may not think so, but the ES10 is pretty good at detail retrieval for its class. It's good enough that it can rival full-size headphones in the same price class.

But the drivers are limited by the stock ear cups and the stock pads. So they are not showing their best yet.

I think you'll want to consider the same modifications I did down the line. The effect is quite profound.

Talking about which, I revised my thoughts on the ESW11 pads. Check it out if you're interested.

Sep 27, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #650 of 1,113
  Yeah... you may not think so, but the ES10 is pretty good at detail retrieval for its class. It's good enough that it can rival full-size headphones in the same price class.

But the drivers are limited by the stock ear cups and the stock pads. So they are not showing their best yet.

I think you'll want to consider the same modifications I did down the line. The effect is quite profound.

Talking about which, I revised my thoughts on the ESW11 pads. Check it out if you're interested.

Man, the more I listen to these the better they sound. Is it just in my head?

I see that you had an issue with the bass with the ESW11 ear pads. Do you think this could be corrected using an equaliser? I actually like strrong bass as long as it does not bleed into the mids and highs.

I've hooked them up to the Fiio e12 and they sound even more effortless. I've previously owned the Senns hd25 1 ii and although they were impressive, these are on a different level for my listening style. Now that it seems that I've found my portable nirvana, my search will be on hold.

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #651 of 1,113
No, it's not just you. The ES10 is capable of hyper details.

I don't specifically have a bass issue with the ESW11 ear pads. It's more of a treble issue. The ESW11 sounds closed in due to lack of treble with certain sources, whereas the ESW9 ear pads are super open even without an amplifier. (and amping just makes it all the more open)

The ESW11 ear pads are quite good when I just want to plug the ES10 directly into my iPhone, and I really like the sweet midrange that they give me.

But the ESW9 ear pads are still my go-to when I want to hear literally every little nuance in the recording.

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #652 of 1,113
  No, it's not just you. The ES10 is capable of hyper details.

I don't specifically have a bass issue with the ESW11 ear pads. It's more of a treble issue. The ESW11 sounds closed in due to lack of treble with certain sources, whereas the ESW9 ear pads are super open even without an amplifier. (and amping just makes it all the more open)

The ESW11 ear pads are quite good when I just want to plug the ES10 directly into my iPhone, and I really like the sweet midrange that they give me.

But the ESW9 ear pads are still my go-to when I want to hear literally every little nuance in the recording.

How did you find the ESW11 pads with the e12 amp? I'm looking at some HE-500's for home use. I feel the bass in these will help in portable use. You also mention that the ESW11 pads isolate better which could be another plus for portable use?

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #653 of 1,113
Well, I didn't have the ESW11 pads with the E12, so I have no idea how the pairing would be.

I had the ESW9 ear pads with E12, though, and the combo was quite good. Soundstage could be better, though.

But yeah, ESW11 pads do isolate better than ESW9 pads, so they might be more preferable for portable use.

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #655 of 1,113
If you connect through the 3.5mm you'll double amp it. It should different if you compared to using a LOD. Good or bad you have to try yourself to find out. If you use the LOD, you bypass the iPhone's AMP.
So instead of:
iPhone > iPhone DAC > iPhone AMP > E12 > ES10
you have:
iPhone > iPhone DAC > E12 > ES10

Btw, I tried some of Fiio's products last time and didn't really like them. Was too thin for my liking. Just wondering if the E12 sounds thin or is it different?

Oct 1, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #656 of 1,113
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good DAC to go with the ES10?
I don't think it makes much of a difference but just wondering :D

On the other hand, my Continental just went back for warranty. There was some crackling noise in the left channel.
Going back to the O2 in the time being, I really can't wait to get the Continental back :)

Oct 2, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #657 of 1,113
Ye, I've also read that the 30 pin adapter uses a poor DAC. This is my first amp so I'm in no position to advise you but there are many reviews out there from experienced audiophiles.

On a separate note, I'm looking to buy some full sized open headphones, particularly the HE-400. Can anybody tell me if it would make a good companion to the ATH-ES10 for home use? Would the HE-400 be an upgrade in SQ? And how would the bass compare between the two?

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #658 of 1,113
Ye, I've also read that the 30 pin adapter uses a poor DAC. This is my first amp so I'm in no position to advise you but there are many reviews out there from experienced audiophiles.

On a separate note, I'm looking to buy some full sized open headphones, particularly the HE-400. Can anybody tell me if it would make a good companion to the ATH-ES10 for home use? Would the HE-400 be an upgrade in SQ? And how would the bass compare between the two?

O: I didn't know the 30 pin adapter had a DAC inside. I thought it was just a normal LOD. :X

Oct 4, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #659 of 1,113
Visited a local headphone shop today. There was a gentlemen trying the ESW9 and ES7, so I offered to let him try the ES10.
He tried it on his rig and said it was amazing. He later let me try the live version of the song "Hotel California" on his rig and I have only 1 word to describe: MINDBLOWING
AK120 > GoVibe PortaPro > ES10

The guitar and instruments sounded damn realistic and nice.
The bass isn't the normal flat punchy bass. It really has oomph and kick.
The instrument separation and clarity is seriously no joke. Every single instrument could be heard clearly.

I did do some testing after that:
AK120 > Continental V3 > ES10 - The song didn't sound as good.
ODAC > GoVibe PortaPro > ES10 - I listen to mostly Asian songs. And they sound better on the ODAC > Continental V3 > ES10

Didn't had much time to do a proper comparison. But I'm quite sure I prefer my songs more on the Continental.

I'll visit a local Jaben to do a proper comparison when I have time and my Continental comes back.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #660 of 1,113
I've got to bump this back up. Oh my, I've had these for just over a week and they just keep getting better and better. So much more refined and tighter then when I first got them. Even when I listen to my music on low volume the magic is still there. I don't think I've heard headphones perform this good at low volumes. They have made me appreciate my music at a whole new level - I am so glad that I did not get put off by the premium I had to pay in the UK due to availability. The sound truly has me infatuated. I can't help but feel privileged to be a part of a relatively exclusive group who have had the pleasure of owning these gems.

And I'm still waiting for the ESW11 pads to turn up, which should hopefully be here in the next couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back