Audio Technica ATH- ES 10 Impressions Thread
Sep 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #632 of 1,113
I just fail to see the point, did they lower the quality to make it a portable headphone?  You seem to have a preconception that portable is of lesser quality, so it's crazy to spend $1300 on a portable HP and use it at home, or am I missing something?
The Shure SE535 and J-phonic K2 SP, are for the record, designed for use on a stage, and have lesser quality because of that.  In the case of the Shure's they notch down the treble so you can listen (perform) for countless hours at exciting volumes without any fatigue, that isn't really a Hi-Fi experience.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #633 of 1,113
Good point on various uses of headphones, but in this thread the point is maximizing musical enjoyment in the portable es10

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #634 of 1,113
Personally I feel that the ES10 is a really amazing can.
In the portable arena (in terms of size), its probably one of the best.
But it is still able to match up or even surpass a lot of other full sized cans.

I really love the ES10, but for home listening, I think I'd go for some other more laid back cans.
The ES10 has a pretty aggressive signature.

Still, It's my favourite can now :)

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #635 of 1,113
And I know you can mod the ES10 to the point where even the CEO of Audeze has to say "wow". 
tongue.gif

The drivers are capable. You just gotta find out how to extract their potentials!

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #636 of 1,113
Forgot to mention I'm already using the ESW11 pads :X

I have just noticed the same scenario where the esw11 pads have flattened a bit too much.
The esw9 pads will never do this based on tje design and my experience, but they are a tight fit.
So I recommend using the black sticky back damping foam rolled into less than half a circle and inserted on one side to make an angled pad(!)..
Look:

It also creates more airspace and retains comfort by not using too much, as well as not being noticable:

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #637 of 1,113
And I know you can mod the ES10 to the point where even the CEO of Audeze has to say "wow". :p

The drivers are capable. You just gotta find out how to extract their potentials!
they are full size can drivers so yes and very few portables have that size driver.
Hey wich pads are you using? :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #638 of 1,113
Time to do some pad swapping to see what differences between the esw9 & esw11 pads!
Will post soon! Ha :)

Sep 10, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #639 of 1,113
@Maxx134

I did the same on my standard earpads a while ago. The difference is that I used white foam and it looks a bit silly. As soon as I come across some black damping foam I'll change it.

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:05 AM Post #640 of 1,113
Awesome idea
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll go to a local $2 shop and see what I can get :)
A new earpad is pretty expensive :X

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #641 of 1,113
Tried the black foam. Attempted to "fatten" the whole earpad by laying foam in a complete circle.
Sound changed a little and didn't like it. :X
Maybe I'd get a replacement earpad soon.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying the Continental combo. Even though its the V3, it's still very awesome.
I'm supposed to sleep early cause I need to wake up early tomorrow, but with the ES10 on my head, my body seems to not want to take it off and go to bed @.@

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #643 of 1,113
Tried the black foam. Attempted to "fatten" the whole earpad by laying foam in a complete circle.
Sound changed a little and didn't like it. :X

Maybe I'd get a replacement earpad soon.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying the Continental combo. Even though its the V3, it's still very awesome.
I'm supposed to sleep early cause I need to wake up early tomorrow, but with the ES10 on my head, my body seems to not want to take it off and go to bed @.@

That is why I only suggested "HALF" the pad so you have and angled effect, not a proximity/distance effect.
The sound should not change much in tonality, rather only in soundstage cues.
Also the Continental is very good but I keep wondering if version2 is better for es10 while version 3 is better for esw11.. Ha

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #644 of 1,113
I have to say, the Martin Audio ES10 looks amazing, I've been waiting a long time for a wooden cup mod.

The wooden cups are not just there for cool effect. It makes the bass more "believable" and also causes the sound to get a bit more sweetened.

That is why I only suggested "HALF" the pad so you have and angled effect, not a proximity/distance effect.
The sound should not change much in tonality, rather only in soundstage cues.
Also the Continental is very good but I keep wondering if version2 is better for es10 while version 3 is better for esw11.. Ha

I found a way to simulate a v3 with the v2: just double-amp it with the C&C BH. The low bass boost and sound field boost of the C&C BH causes precisely what one would want: treble + low bass boost.

Anyhow... thanks for your cues on the ESW11 pads!

Since the ESW11 already had its own review, I figure I'll put this in the ES10 thread: a comparison between the stock ES10, ESW9, and ESW11 ear pads.

Thickness-wise, it goes like this:

ES10 < ESW9 < ESW11

Comfort-wise, I think:

ES10 < ESW9 = ESW11

And looks-wise (if you care about this), I think:

ES10 < ESW9 < ESW11

So that that's out of the way, on to sound quality:

Bass: ES10 ear pads sound dull and boomy. ESW9 ear pads sound tighter and more controlled, but also more thin (not "full") and concentrated on the center rather than spread out equally. ESW11 ear pads have very spacious, "subwoofer"-like bass, but due to it having superior seal than both ES10 and ESW9, I think bass can get over-whelming at times. I think ESW9 ear pads are better for those who want to reduce bass quantity, and ESW11 ear pads are good for those who are looking for DAT BASS.

Midrange: ESW11 ear pads have the best mid. ESW9 ear pads have the clearest mid. ES10 ear pads should be thrown aside where this is concerned. ESW11 sounds sweet, full, smooth, lush, and romantic. ESW9 has clearer mid with more upper midrange and is also equally smooth compared to ESW11, but it sounds grainy at higher volumes, and thus doesn't score well with me. ES10 sounds flat, withdrawn, and a little drowned out.

Treble: ES10 ear pads have a very apparent and abrupt roll-off. ESW11 ear pads don't sound as abrupt or closed-in, but the drop in treble extension is still very apparent. ESW9 ear pads sound unbelievably open compared to the other two. Treble extends way past the sky, and clarity is just unbelievable.

Soundstage: ES10 ear pads have the smallest soundstage of the trio, followed by ESW11. To be fair, ESW11 has wider soundstage, but because of the treble roll-off, depth and air isn't as impressive. ESW9, on the other hand, has a more coherent soundstage that's decently wide but with excellent depth and air. Separation is as good as it can get.

Imaging: ES10 ear pads sound confusing, muddled, and somewhat congested. ESW9 and ESW11 ear pads are on par here, on the other hand.

So with that said, I think ESW9 ear pads are best for those looking to turn the ES10 into a more balanced listening experience. And the ESW11 ear pads are best for rolling off that aggressiveness + introduce a more romantic and relaxed listening experience. Both have their own uses.

I personally prefer the ESW9 ear pads by just a very slight smidgen margin, because it turns my ES10 into a versatile little beast. But if I was homing in on relaxed jazz sessions, and I don't have an amplifier handy, I'd grab the ESW11 ear pads instead.

----

Edit: decided to put the ESW11 ear pads up for sale:
ATH-ESW11LTD ear pads (HP-ESW11)

Reason is as I stated above: I think I prefer the brighter and more balanced presentation of the ESW9 ear pads overall. Admittedly, the ESW9 ear pads can get fatiguing pretty fast, but I pretty much don't use my ES10 as a portable headphone much these days, so that's fine.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #645 of 1,113
I've been wanting to get a pair of these for a very long time, but I couldn't bring myself around to paying the astronomical prices here in the UK. The cheapest I can find these are £400 new (~$640)!

Today I found an online retailer offering an open box pair for £330 (~$530) and pulled the trigger. They are still way overpriced, but I just had to have a pair as they seem to have the perfect sound signature for my preference from the reviews I've read.

I got myself a Fiio e12 to power them and I was just wondering if anybody can give me their impressions on this combo. Do they compliment each other well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back