Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Mar 13, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #16 of 873
Wasn't very impressed with them out of the box, sounded too compressed and closed in, plus that horrible wise grip, I could barely concentrate on music.
And easy adjustment to the headband http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ath...mod-sq-306861/ turned them into my favorite rock cans. Use ice to cool headband off, I discovered this trick later on. They are really special with Chord DAC64, less colored than W5000 have more bite and bass punch, and details retrieval gap between two is virtually closing up. Unfortunately they couldn't match W5000 headstage spaciousness, but you probably wouldn't want it big for fast rock and metal, the more forward the better.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #18 of 873
I have completely fallen for the seductive ad2000 sound. Female vocals have never sounded better. The bass is tight, fast, extended, textured and there's plenty of it for my taste. Those mids are magical...
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #19 of 873
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have completely fallen for the seductive ad2000 sound. Female vocals have never sounded better. The bass is tight, fast, extended, textured and there's plenty of it for my taste. Those mids are magical...
biggrin.gif

Absolutely... one of the best...

... once they're pads are adjusted, they're burnt in, and you find the matching set up to smooth their initial peaky upper mids and lower highs.

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #20 of 873
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely... one of the best...

... once they're pads are adjusted, they're burnt in, and you find the matching set up to smooth their initial peaky upper mids and lower highs.

I got mine burned-in and well-tamed
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #22 of 873
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Agree, especially on live recording. Listen to Diana Krall live in Paris never sounded this good before.

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #23 of 873
Quote:

I got mine burned-in and well-tamed
smily_headphones1.gif

I started running my amp from my DACs tube lineamp instead of straight out of the tube dac. So now its tube dac --> tube lineamp --> M^3 --> AD2K.

Long story short, those peaky mids have been tamed significantly and the midrange has become considerably clearer.

These things are simply stunning right now. The peaky mids were hiding alot of detail.

Mar 14, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #25 of 873
Quote:

Originally Posted by ciphercomplete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I buy AT ear pads? I would like to buy some replacements and possible a pair of the W5000 leathers. I was trying to avoid buying directly from Audio Technica.

You can get AT ear pads from Audiocubes2
I'm thinking of getting a spare pair of ear pads too
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #29 of 873
Quote:

biggrin.gif

wot he said!!!!!!!!!!
L3000.gif

Mar 15, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #30 of 873
As I've said many times before, the AD2000s are one of my favorite headphones. I listen to them far more often than many headphones I have that cost far more. For my sonic tastes and preferences, they're the best $500 (or so) headphones on the market.

I've gone into great detail in other threads, but essentially they do everything right for me because of their open and airy nature, seductive mids (which, although colored, are colored the just way I like them to be), and tight, quick hitting bass that is always there when it needs to be but never overpowers or gets in the way. They're headphones that "sing" in the sense of being very musical.

When listening to a CD with the AD2000s, I tend to forget everything and just get lost in the music. Nothing ever jumps out at me as being either over blown or missing. Thus, I'm not thinking about the headphones as such; my analytical mind is turned off and I'm simply enjoying the music. If I want to hear hyper detailed micro dynamics, I have other headphones for that. If I want to hear a deeper, more extended bass, I have other headphones for that. While the AD2000s are not the last word in any particular aspect of sound reproduction, they seem to have a near perfect blend of all of the various aspects that I'd most like for my headphones to present. They could be my one and only pair of headphones, if I were so inclined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back