Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Mar 15, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #31 of 873
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gone into great detail in other threads, but essentially they do everything right for me because of their open and airy nature, seductive mids (which, although colored, are colored the just way I like them to be), and tight, quick hitting bass that is always there when it needs to be but never overpowers or gets in the way. They're headphones that "sing" in the sense of being very musical.

That's exactly how I feel about them. They seem to do everything right and you don't want to take them off. Ever
biggrin.gif

They make me enjoy the music more instead of just providing a better sound.

Mar 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #32 of 873
I love mine somethin' fierce. I ordered some denon ah-d7000 because the curiosity was driving me mad, but every day that I listen to my ad2000's I get this growing feeling that I may be chasing a ghost. Like I'm cheating on my true love with a bar skank but as soon as the excitement wears off I'll come crawling back in shame
redface.gif
I still can't wait to hear the d7000's but the ad2000's are the shiznyt with rock. Treat yourself to pure awesomeness with the "because of the times" album by Kings of Leon to hear what these phones can really do. Super well recorded squealing guitars that sound like what you would hear if thy were playing to you in a garage with nice equipment and no mistakes. Crank it up!
Oh yeah and vocals are epic as well.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #35 of 873
Wow!!!

I got mine in the beginning of the week and I'm just loving it!!

Very clear, defined and musical.  I'm now trying to decide which is my best headphone:  The AD2000 or the W1000.  The are both awesome and best each other in different ways.  Delightful issue to this about.  
beyersmile.png

@Nuge:  Reggae works very well on it.  I was completely blown away by listening Planta E Raiz last night.

[]s
Walfredo 

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #36 of 873

Quote:
Quote:

I've gone into great detail in other threads, but essentially they do everything right for me because of their open and airy nature, seductive mids (which, although colored, are colored the just way I like them to be), and tight, quick hitting bass that is always there when it needs to be but never overpowers or gets in the way. They're headphones that "sing" in the sense of being very musical.

That's exactly how I feel about them. They seem to do everything right and you don't want to take them off. Ever
biggrin.gif

This is so well put!!  This is exactly how I feel about them.  

But I guess this depends to some extent to the kind of music you like to listen.  I listen mainly to Brazilian music and Jazz, lots of acoustic instruments and vocals.

What do you guys like to listen?

[]s
Walfredo

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #37 of 873
Very similar music. Lots of jazz (also many female singers), acoustic, vocals, and baroque. I am now listening to a very good album with just bass (niels-henning orsted pedersen) and sax (archie shepp). Magic!

It also does well with chamber music, because of the air it creates in the reproduction of the music. Just put on Bach's Mass in B-Minor and it sounds very well articulated, airy, good separation. Although I think the k500s are better suited for baroque the ad2000s do very well with it also. Switching to Mozart's Le nozze di Figaro (opening sinfonia) and it is sufficiently dramatic. Great cans. I prefer them with good solid state amping. My w1000s on the other hand sound much better out of a tube amp.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

This is so well put!!  This is exactly how I feel about them.  

But I guess this depends to some extent to the kind of music you like to listen.  I listen mainly to Brazilian music and Jazz, lots of acoustic instruments and vocals.

What do you guys like to listen?

[]s
Walfredo

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #38 of 873
I didn't even know such a thread existed. I've owned my pair for a month now and it's definitely my favorite. It's hard to be a raving fanboy with them (like I am with the DJ100) but it's only because the cups feel massive on my head and I have to do a mod to get them to be comfortable. The pads go flat on me.

They're the absolute best headphone for gaming to my ears. Sometimes when I just to relax with a game I don't want everything so forward sounding, so i'll switch to my HD-598, which has slightly less forward mids. I'd be curious if any ATH-AD2000 fans also have tried the HD-598? They're very similar in many ways. The ATH-AD2000 definitely is much, much better, but the sound out of the HD-598 is a lot more smooth sounding and less "shouty" with the wrong music. The level of detail is of course far better on the ATH-AD2000, but some small details on the HD-598 seem to have more presence. Despite the smooth signature, I don't find it as laid back as my HD-600 or old HD-555, which is exactly what I wanted.

I'm still tempted to try the W1000 too and it's on my list, but chances are that they're too hard to find or expensive. I've also gotten tired of closed headphones.

To me, the ATH-AD2000 seems to be a headphone that's good for nearly ALL the genres I listen to. That's quite rare. HD-598 is also another.

K702 is good, but I preferred the ATH-AD2000 and sold the K702. Despite what some people say, the ATH-AD2000 felt more detailed, but slightly less clear than the K702.

Is anyone aware of any headphones that sound similar to the ATH-AD2000? It's the sound signature I prefer. I still would like to try out the K501 if I can ever find a pair. It sounds like I may prefer them to the K601.
I do have a Sextett on the way, so maybe that's something else with good mids i'll like.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #39 of 873
Ooooh! Eargasm.... Al Green with Let's Stay Together through the ad2000. His voice is like honey, the guitars and the organ are almost liquid, but so clear. Percussion goes deep and seems to open up new space (does this make sense?). Background vocals are silkily smooth.

OK, I'm going for a recreation of the eargasm. Marvin Gaye's What's Going On and Isaac Hayes' Black Moses: What's Going On is a much better recording than Al Green and it shows. Music all around me. Very good soundstage with Marvin right in front of me. Background vocals in the back to the left, just behind the percussion.  Strings slightly to the right. Voices talking right in front of me but a bit removed. Now on to Isaac Hayes. Even better than Marvin. Recording is also very good, Isaac Hayes' voice is smoooooth, dark and deep. This record is incredibly well-produced! Every instrument is present in all detail.

These are wonderful headphones.

Feb 4, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #40 of 873
There is nothing quite like the ad2000, but ath's woodies are comparably wonderful. The w1000 is certainly worth a listen!

If you like the mids of the ad2000, I wouldn't be surprised if you'll also like the mid-centric k501 (or k500). There are very different from the ad2000, but complementary in a sense. I think I prefer the ad2000s at the moment, but it could never replace the k500. If only because the k500 is better for classical.

Quote:
I didn't even know such a thread existed. I've owned my pair for a month now and it's definitely my favorite. It's hard to be a raving fanboy with them (like I am with the DJ100) but it's only because the cups feel massive on my head and I have to do a mod to get them to be comfortable. The pads go flat on me.

They're the absolute best headphone for gaming to my ears. Sometimes when I just to relax with a game I don't want everything so forward sounding, so i'll switch to my HD-598, which has slightly less forward mids. I'd be curious if any ATH-AD2000 fans also have tried the HD-598? They're very similar in many ways. The ATH-AD2000 definitely is much, much better, but the sound out of the HD-598 is a lot more smooth sounding and less "shouty" with the wrong music. The level of detail is of course far better on the ATH-AD2000, but some small details on the HD-598 seem to have more presence. Despite the smooth signature, I don't find it as laid back as my HD-600 or old HD-555, which is exactly what I wanted.

I'm still tempted to try the W1000 too and it's on my list, but chances are that they're too hard to find or expensive. I've also gotten tired of closed headphones.

To me, the ATH-AD2000 seems to be a headphone that's good for nearly ALL the genres I listen to. That's quite rare. HD-598 is also another.

K702 is good, but I preferred the ATH-AD2000 and sold the K702. Despite what some people say, the ATH-AD2000 felt more detailed, but slightly less clear than the K702.

Is anyone aware of any headphones that sound similar to the ATH-AD2000? It's the sound signature I prefer. I still would like to try out the K501 if I can ever find a pair. It sounds like I may prefer them to the K601.
I do have a Sextett on the way, so maybe that's something else with good mids i'll like.

Feb 4, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #42 of 873
Just switched back to the tube amped w1000. Vocals are as seductive as the ad2000, but predictably, there is less 'air' in the music. More intimacy though.

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #44 of 873
@tdockweiler:  

I have the K501, which are wonderful headphones.  But the AD2000's are just in another league.  The combination of clarity and musicality is just unbelievable!!

The W1000 are definitely worth a try.  They aren't even very expensive.  You can find them going for ~ $300 a piece in the forums.

I don't have the HD-598.  I have the HD-595, which is also a beautiful headphone.  But the Audio Technicas manage to get vocals better... special female vocals. 
L3000.gif

[]s
Waldredo

Quote:

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #45 of 873

Quote:
Ooooh! Eargasm.... Al Green with Let's Stay Together through the ad2000. His voice is like honey, the guitars and the organ are almost liquid, but so clear. Percussion goes deep and seems to open up new space (does this make sense?). Background vocals are silkily smooth.

OK, I'm going for a recreation of the eargasm. Marvin Gaye's What's Going On and Isaac Hayes' Black Moses: What's Going On is a much better recording than Al Green and it shows. Music all around me. Very good soundstage with Marvin right in front of me. Background vocals in the back to the left, just behind the percussion.  Strings slightly to the right. Voices talking right in front of me but a bit removed. Now on to Isaac Hayes. Even better than Marvin. Recording is also very good, Isaac Hayes' voice is smoooooth, dark and deep. This record is incredibly well-produced! Every instrument is present in all detail.

These are wonderful headphones.

Yes, RED, it makes perfect sense. 
L3000.gif

And, yes!!  They absolutely are wonderful.

[]s
Walfredo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back