Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Jul 10, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #136 of 873
They might be picky but synergy isn't always about power. I find the AD2K to be pretty easy to drive but have not tried the AD7/900 so I can't compare.

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #137 of 873
But really, aside from tubes which are changing the way the audio waves pass through the system, shouldn't all amps leave a signal alone (in theory) since they're only purpose is to ensure the headphones are powered properly to play the signal? I don't see why an amp should effect the sound at all.

Jul 10, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #138 of 873
Impedance matching is very important for instance.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #140 of 873
The AD2000's are very nearly the best sounding headphones available - I like them as well as any of the Stax, or the HE-500's, etc.  Or, at least that's what several of us think (see ASR's review, for example).  Especialy, with the "Phat Pad" mod, fully burnt in - which, helps to tame the upper mids peak.

They are one of the easiest phones to drive - so, they do sound good with a lot of amps - from a simple cmoy to some of the best tube amps.  Mine sound great with my Shellbrook MaxiMoy portable, or my WA6 SEm, or just the headphone out on my Marantz SA8001, or Monarchy M24. 

But... they sound especially great out of my Millett Hybrid MiniMax... as do all my other phones, which you can typically find for $200-$400.  This is truly a great amp.  And... there is at least one on the F/S Forum right now.  There are a several great amps in the <$500 range... but... this is one of the best regardless of price. 

You can be certain that you've got one of the best phones available.

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #141 of 873
I do absolutely love the AD2000s even though i'm just running them from my DACport, sounds utterly awesome and i've been through some high end headphones before finally settling with the AD2000s. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #143 of 873
Just picked up a pair of ATH-AD2000's from a nice guy off the board. I haven't had much time to listen to them but I can tell you that there is quite a linear difference in sound quality vs the ATH-AD900's. Waiting to get my Denon D2000's back from recabling and custom wood caps so I can enjoy how different these two models are. 

Sep 13, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #144 of 873
Mine have arrived too, also thanks to another member who included the tube mod. When I tried my friend's AT woody collection, I stuffed a couple of rolled-up tissues behind the pads to enact much the same thing and fix the congestion.  I was lamenting how I wish I had bought AD2000s in the very first place when I arrived here. They have great imaging out of my Stacker II and Phoenix. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #145 of 873
I also just purchased a nice AD2000 from someone here! So far they sound great. Fortunately I may be a lucky one when it comes to comfort - I don't find them uncomfortable at all even without the tube mod. For me, the most annoying thing a headphone can do is put pressure on the top of your head, and the wings are perfect for me in that respect. The drivers do touch my ears, but it's a very gentle light touch. We'll see how it holds up over time, but it's definitely better than my SRH940's comfort, which I can wear for a few hours without problems.

Sound-wise, these are just about perfectly what I've been looking for. Initial impressions: They sound amazing. Definitely not disappointing coming from HD 650s. They sound like a perfect hybrid between the detailed-ness of my SRH940 and the smooth refined HD 650.

Maybe it's due to them being combined with my slightly dark Audio-gd NFB-12, but these don't sound at all harsh or siblant in treble. My SRH940's weren't terrible, but these are much better.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #146 of 873

Quote:
I also just purchased a nice AD2000 from someone here! So far they sound great. Fortunately I may be a lucky one when it comes to comfort - I don't find them uncomfortable at all even without the tube mod. For me, the most annoying thing a headphone can do is put pressure on the top of your head, and the wings are perfect for me in that respect. The drivers do touch my ears, but it's a very gentle light touch. We'll see how it holds up over time, but it's definitely better than my SRH940's comfort, which I can wear for a few hours without problems.

Sound-wise, these are just about perfectly what I've been looking for. Initial impressions: They sound amazing. Definitely not disappointing coming from HD 650s. They sound like a perfect hybrid between the detailed-ness of my SRH940 and the smooth refined HD 650.

Maybe it's due to them being combined with my slightly dark Audio-gd NFB-12, but these don't sound at all harsh or siblant in treble. My SRH940's weren't terrible, but these are much better.

Welcome to the club! :) 

It's always nice to read that someone is enjoying these phones as much as i do. I echo your sentiments about comfort and sound quality. :)

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #148 of 873
From what I have tried, AD2000 with clamping lessen which makes the drivers sits further away sounds exactly like my AD1000PRM recabled (AT official recall to use 4 core cables instead).

I never found the ES7 being a pair of good headphones in the first place and every pair of AD2000 modded or not, doesn't really sounds that bright with a good source. It worked poorly out of a cheap DAP but that is about it. Anything more powerful than a cheap DAP is going to sound good and only gets better when you go up the chain.

Still running mine along side my modded STAX, and it ain't going anywhere!

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #149 of 873
I know the ES7 sounds kind of thin at times, and isn't really all that full sounding, but the  sound-signature is excellent considering how much I payed for it($75, brand new). I think I will get the AD2000 in the future--like in 2 years, when I have a great job lol.

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #150 of 873
crumpler: I'm definitely enjoying these a lot so far. It's still too early to really compare I think due to new-toy-placebo (and not getting fully adjusted to it), but I do know from first impressions that the somewhat more detail / less laid-back-ness of these compared to my HD 650's is quite nice. The HD 650's I still prefer for some music (bass heavy - the AD2000 is nicely detailed in bass but pretty flat and not as impactful) but for a great majority of my listening I've really been liking the AD2000's.

What's interesting is I've really found them a startling improvement for video games over my HD 650. I think mostly because in FPS games, if you recess the treble, you miss out on the realistic supersonic "cracking" sound of guns.

Anyway like I said, I still need to get my ears used to these, but I'm not finding them lacking in quality anywhere really (they do lack bass impact / quantity vs. the HD 650's which emphasize that, but that doesn't mean they lack it vs. a theoretically perfectly flat headphone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back