Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000 Discussion (and Appreciation) Thread!
Mar 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #166 of 873
I just got my AD2000's (very lucky to snap a pair up from an Australian member in the FS forum). Ever since getting the AD900's I've wanted to get the 2000's, and it turns out that the difference between them in terms of sound is not as drastic as I was led to believe, yet overall everything I read was accurate. (A good thing!)

Physically, as Keanex says, the build quality (or at least the appearance of build quality) is an improvement. These things look absolutely exquisite. Clamping force is harder on the 2000's vs the 900, but for me its still one of the most comfortable headphones I've had as my ears do not touch the cups.

Sound wise, the AD2000 is perfect if you ever said to yourself: I would love the general sweetness of the AD900 tone increased, with a more intimiate sound and a smaller and more cohesive soundstage (I always found the AD900 soundstage to be a little unrealistically stretched out), less treble in exchange for a smoother and very grain free high-end, fuller and tighter bass (you can hear every bass note, though sub-bass is still quite lean). The essential character still sounds similar to me in the AD2000 but the overall presentation is warmer and more involving, with less of the grainy dryness of the 900's. Clarity is better than my only other comparable phone, the Sony Z1000.

I can immediately see what people are saying about female vocals - there is a real sense of breath and air in them, so that they immediately stand out. The effect is quite stunning really. 

My setup is: Music Streamer II+ -> O2 -> AD2000. I can tell you Keanex that the MSII+ and MSII are great, and one of the DACs recommended by the O2 maker besides the DACport. While I heard differences between the MSII+ and the MSII when I auditioned both, I would hesitate to spend much more on a DAC. The combination is very sweet and I think the O2 is an ideal candidate for low impedance cans like the AD900 / AD2000. Certainly better to me than the Schiit Asgard for my AD900 and Z1000.

I'm so happy to finally own these beauties :3

Edit: One note Keeanx just in case. On battery power, at 2.5x gain on the O2, the Music Streamer will cause voltage clipping because it exceeds line level spec a little. You must use the O2 on AC power or modify your O2 to get a 1x gain mode if in the rare case you want to use it as a desktop amp but still off battery power.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:14 AM Post #167 of 873
AD2000 is one of the most polarising headphones ever, up there with SA5000. You either love and keep it or sell it as soon as humanly possible if you don't. There is something about it's female vocal that I can't get my head round and be totally addicted to it.

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #168 of 873
Definitely my favorite ATH so far, and my favorite out of my transportable rig. I like it out of that rig better than my Ed8, too bad it's open though.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:02 AM Post #169 of 873

Quote:
AD2000 is one of the most polarising headphones ever, up there with SA5000. You either love and keep it or sell it as soon as humanly possible if you don't. There is something about it's female vocal that I can't get my head round and be totally addicted to it.

The strange thing about the vocals is that there doesn't appear to be any specific color to my ears so much as, for some reason, the vocals sound a great deal more forward and louder in the mix then anything else. It's a bit bizarre, still trying to work out what is happening.

Mar 6, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #170 of 873
It is exactly like that, the vocal sounds like the singer is right up in your face singing just for you with rest of the instruments quite a few steps back.

Mar 7, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #171 of 873

Quote:
I just got my AD2000's (very lucky to snap a pair up from an Australian member in the FS forum). Ever since getting the AD900's I've wanted to get the 2000's, and it turns out that the difference between them in terms of sound is not as drastic as I was led to believe, yet overall everything I read was accurate. (A good thing!)

Physically, as Keanex says, the build quality (or at least the appearance of build quality) is an improvement. These things look absolutely exquisite. Clamping force is harder on the 2000's vs the 900, but for me its still one of the most comfortable headphones I've had as my ears do not touch the cups.

Sound wise, the AD2000 is perfect if you ever said to yourself: I would love the general sweetness of the AD900 tone increased, with a more intimiate sound and a smaller and more cohesive soundstage (I always found the AD900 soundstage to be a little unrealistically stretched out), less treble in exchange for a smoother and very grain free high-end, fuller and tighter bass (you can hear every bass note, though sub-bass is still quite lean). The essential character still sounds similar to me in the AD2000 but the overall presentation is warmer and more involving, with less of the grainy dryness of the 900's. Clarity is better than my only other comparable phone, the Sony Z1000.

I can immediately see what people are saying about female vocals - there is a real sense of breath and air in them, so that they immediately stand out. The effect is quite stunning really. 

My setup is: Music Streamer II+ -> O2 -> AD2000. I can tell you Keanex that the MSII+ and MSII are great, and one of the DACs recommended by the O2 maker besides the DACport. While I heard differences between the MSII+ and the MSII when I auditioned both, I would hesitate to spend much more on a DAC. The combination is very sweet and I think the O2 is an ideal candidate for low impedance cans like the AD900 / AD2000. Certainly better to me than the Schiit Asgard for my AD900 and Z1000.

I'm so happy to finally own these beauties :3

Edit: One note Keeanx just in case. On battery power, at 2.5x gain on the O2, the Music Streamer will cause voltage clipping because it exceeds line level spec a little. You must use the O2 on AC power or modify your O2 to get a 1x gain mode if in the rare case you want to use it as a desktop amp but still off battery power.

Excellent post, I agree with everything here. Thanks very much for your impressions/set-up as well as I have an O2 and was looking into the MSII+ as a DAC.

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #172 of 873
Woohoo! Just landed a deal for a pair of AD2000s from another member. I can't wait! 
L3000.gif

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #174 of 873

Quote:
Hey keanex, just out of curiosity, do you have any comments on how the AD2000 sounds compared to the HM5?

A friend is actually borrowing my HM5 right now, but the HM5 is a bit laid back and very neutral. The Ad2000 are in your face and have an accentuated mids with good extension on both sides, while still having great balance and not really warm or bright. It's hard to compare them really but the Ad2000 is really in another league in my opinion.

Mar 8, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #176 of 873

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah, I figured it should be in another league as you say, and in your face is definitely what I was going for so that's great.

They're as in your face as the lower end Grado's, while not being harsh or fatiguing. Incredibly fast and quick as well, the HM5 seem like they're in slow motion in comparison.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #178 of 873

Quote:

You just keep telling me what I want to hear, haha. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I know, that's how they got me :wink: A lot of people wouldn't call these a linear upgrade from the Ad900 and they may not be, but they do fix every thing wrong I had with the Ad900. The soundstage is more intimate, better clamping, better imaging, more detailed/clarity, etc. It was a leap of faith for me but I'd never look back.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #179 of 873
I plan on picking up the AD2000 very soon. I'm very interested in how it'll compare/contrast with my T1.

The only issue is that my amp is an SPL Auditor, and it is essentially ideally made for 300 - 600ohm headphones but should probably work fine with anything over 100ohm, I believe. Think a 100ohm impedance adapter for the AD2000 will bring it up to snuff? That'd bring it to about 140ohm. I've just never used an adapter like that before.

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #180 of 873
I have tried an Auditor with my AD1000PRM, it didn't sound as good as the HA5000, HA-02 but still rather nice. Gain doesn't seems to be a problem and noise floor is low enough on the SPL. I haven't tried an impedance adapter so I don't know what will happen, if anything the add resistance will just lower the volume in the best case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back