Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
May 6, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #257 of 539
Quote:
Has anyone heard both the A900X and the SoundMAGIC HP100 to compare the two?  Both would be amped appropriately.

There was someone selling the HP100 on the FS forums for $160 that mentioned he got a A900X. I'd search there for the HP100 listings mentioning such and ask him/her or his/her opinions.

May 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #258 of 539
Anyone know the reason why the A900x dropped half price to ~$170 USD on amazon.com?
Were they not worth the original price? Don't get me wrong, I love the sound and comfort of these cans. I'm also grateful that other users get to experience a 43% discount, but I'm wondering if I made the right investment.

May 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #259 of 539
To me, just because of the pads, they were not worth $300... check my sig/review.

May 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #260 of 539
Quote:
Anyone know the reason why the A900x dropped half price to ~$170 USD on amazon.com?
Were they not worth the original price? Don't get me wrong, I love the sound and comfort of these cans. I'm also grateful that other users get to experience a 43% discount, but I'm wondering if I made the right investment.

Do you like them? Then they were worth the investment. Price has no direct relation to sound. They dropped because the price of everything drops over time. Unless the company likes to artificially inflate prices. And because of buydig. Amazon likes having close to the lowest prices on the market.

May 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #261 of 539

The price before was definitely gouged in non-Japanese markets. The A700X was ~$130 everywhere and consensus is the 900 is worth ~$30-$50 more, but it was cheaper to have it imported from Japan through a courier service; I suppose non-Japanese retailers did not have it well stocked. Take a look at the camel graph for Japanese Amazon http://jp.camelcamelcamel.com/オーディオテクニカ-ATH-A900X-audio-technica-アートモニターヘッドホン/product/B005TCZIQA I think the recent strengthening of the USD over the Yen also had a lot to do with it.

May 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #262 of 539
I have barely anything to complain about these headphones, I've used these everywhere I can because they're that good in my opinion. With 300 hours of listening time according to Foobar2000. They provide so much more texture in drum kits and vocals much better than five other headphones I've tried. After 50-60 hours of burn in I noticed the highs were a less piercing but more sparkly, mids more flattened, and bass became more punchy and present.

I'm guilty for one thing though. As soon as I put these headphones on I modified the 3d Wing System. Tightening the solid spring, and the rest position of the wings are now parallel to the ground compared to being suspended 30 degrees. This little mod pretty much fixed it for me.

There's only one tiny disappointment with these headphones, yes gelocks you are correct with the stiff earpads. They aren't so stiff that they cause me discomfort though. They are twice as stiff compared to the cheap Steelseries Siberia V2 headset I had, then again the pleather in that is actually starting to flake.
Maybe a900x earpads are stiff to maintain a decent clamping force, but after 5-10 minutes of wearing them it's like it's not there anymore. I'm looking around the internet to see if I can find w1000 earpads being sold.

May 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #263 of 539
The W1000X earpads aren't much better than the A900X earpads. Both are pleather and though the W1000X's is of marginally higher quality (less wrinkly and gross), I wouldn't spend the $50. I'd look for some J$ Beyerdynamic earpads instead but those would definitely affect the sound.

I agree that the A900X has no business sounding this good for the price they go for nowadays. They actually have very few sonic flaws; the slight midrange nasality is only apparent if you're used to significantly more open/expensive headphones. My biggest complaint with the A900X was their weight (they are, to my recollection, heavier than the W1000X) and the tendency for the wing tension to be insufficient for their weight, causing sagging and premature discomfort.

May 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #264 of 539
Quote:
Do you like them? Then they were worth the investment. Price has no direct relation to sound. They dropped because the price of everything drops over time. Unless the company likes to artificially inflate prices. And because of buydig. Amazon likes having close to the lowest prices on the market.

Definitely agree with that, magic word there is "like"! :wink:
Loved their sound, did not like the headphones and lack of contents (compared to others).

Quote:
The W1000X earpads aren't much better than the A900X earpads. Both are pleather and though the W1000X's is of marginally higher quality (less wrinkly and gross), I wouldn't spend the $50. I'd look for some J$ Beyerdynamic earpads instead but those would definitely affect the sound.

I agree that the A900X has no business sounding this good for the price they go for nowadays. They actually have very few sonic flaws; the slight midrange nasality is only apparent if you're used to significantly more open/expensive headphones. My biggest complaint with the A900X was their weight (they are, to my recollection, heavier than the W1000X) and the tendency for the wing tension to be insufficient for their weight, causing sagging and premature discomfort.

I actually find the W1000X earpads A WHOLE lot better, but at the time I was looking to buy them stores were selling the pads for $70+!!!!! Not worth it.

And yes, A900X sound really good. I've always said, they sounded like I wanted my Shure SRH940s to sound! :wink: Too bad about the comfort though. I've actually had just a couple of headphones that comfort completely killed my experience (the other being the Yamaha Pro 500s...)

May 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #265 of 539
I might be asking too many questions, but I'm new to the audiophile world and I'm sorry if anyone is annoyed with this thread constantly re-appearing.

Based on the frequency response chart here. Would the a900x be too coloured in vocals, treble and mid-bass hump to be used for mixing and mastering?

May 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #267 of 539
Quote:
The A900X has what I consider good level of bass. Nothing bloated or too much. Not even close to the bass that is on a Denon for example but enough to complete all types of music..These also eq extremely well and for bass heavy tunes I just eq a bit on the bass end and it sounds awesome. Trance on these cans have to be heard..

I think the level of bass on these are perfect for the sound. Not too much not too little. Just right. It is the tight punchy type too which goes well with acoustics, rock, metal. Very versatile headphone.. Gaming and movies are tops..  My pads on my cans are actually soft now. No stiffness.

For any guys interested in the IEM version of this sound. The new CKM500 are astounding as they sound so close to these.. Great earphones and even greater headphones.

That's great, because Trance is what I mainly listen to, and I just bought these yesterday :) Can't wait :)

May 27, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #268 of 539
Quote:

idk, I bought mine for $99 lol.

Buydig has them for $130-150 regularly. I have not received anything Beach Camera / Buydig DOA / damaged, and their AT lineup is generally cheaper than Amazon.  IMO they are worth at least $200 in terms of audio quality.  My pads were painfully stiff but now have softened considerably to the point where they are comfortable to wear.

I might be asking too many questions, but I'm new to the audiophile world and I'm sorry if anyone is annoyed with this thread constantly re-appearing.

Based on the frequency response chart here. Would the a900x be too coloured in vocals, treble and mid-bass hump to be used for mixing and mastering?

I don't think they would the best option for mixing and mastering.  They aren't the worst, but anything you come up with should sound great on my A900X 
size]

Jun 7, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #269 of 539
I could be incorrect on this... but it does look like the pads from the AD1000X should be a perfect fit... Those are not the pleather ones either... should be quite a bit more comfortable for those that do not like the feel of the pleather.

Jun 7, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #270 of 539
If anyone is interested, I'm trying to sell my pair of these on the FS forum. I love these headphones, I just had some issues fitting them just right on my ears. The soundstage on these still blows me away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back