Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Apr 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #241 of 539
Quote:
Can the pads be replaced by leather ones from a model higher up in AT's range? If so, which are the ones to go for?

The stock ones are rather sweaty and uncomfortable, and don't seal all that well.

I'm using alpha pads from Mr Speakers. Recesses the mids a bit, but the comfort is soo much better.

Apr 18, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #242 of 539
Quote:
Can the pads be replaced by leather ones from a model higher up in AT's range? If so, which are the ones to go for?

The stock ones are rather sweaty and uncomfortable, and don't seal all that well.

I posted this on a a separate thread and will put it here also:

For the A900x you may want to try the 
ATH-A1000 pads as described in this thread which looks like the best option to me which I may try:​
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650785/audio-technica-ath-a900x-appreciation-thread/30

Somebody liked these A900ti earpads in a review on Audiocubes2 on his a900x :
http://www.audiocubes2.com/product_info.php/cPath/27/products_id/537
his review:
Nice ear pads. I ordered these for my Audio Technica A900x (The stock pads they come with have thick pleather with a circular opening, while these replacement pads use a thinner, softer pleather and have an oval opening. I wanted to see the difference they'd make on my ears.) Overall, I'd say these pads were well worth the money. The Pleather material on them isn't incredibly soft, but its not hard or stiff like the stock A900x pads. Feels like it'll last quite a while. The foam in these replacement pads are thicker than the foam in the stock pads my A900x came with. After a few hours of use, I do feel like these A900ti replacement pads make my ears a little bit hotter than the A900X stock pads tho. In the end, however, I like these pads better than the stock A900X ones.

a variety of pads here:
http://www.audiocubes2.com/index.php/cPath/27

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #243 of 539
For those of you with a big head like mine, just put the wing support on a bent pillow for a few hours and wow, the hard clamp is gone. whew, I thought I was going to have to return them. If they get a little too loose, which mine did NOT, you can bend them back carefully or use the shoestring mod. Used the pillow on the M-50's too. comfort is just right now. I think getting them adjusted just right is like getting my eye glasses "just right".

Apr 22, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #244 of 539
i have a piggy bank that a little bigger than my head .. i set the cans on it for a few days.. it sure helps but the clamping force returns after a while... don't know what else to do

May 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #247 of 539
Quote:
can anyone make an objective comparison of these vs hd650's? I have my a900x's on the way and currently also own a pair of 650's, these will be driven by an aune t1.

No, not objective.

But I owned both concurrently and my impression is that the A900X is an excellent performer but not quite in the same league. It has excellent clarity and more apparent treble. Its stereo width and separation is also more apparent. It appears to sound more balanced (i.e. less dark and thick) with relative neutrality.

What prevents the A900X from being superb against the HD 650 is a slightly perceptible mid-range nasality, likely a consequence of being a sealed design. This plasticky timbre in the midrange prevents it from reaching the same level of effortless enjoyment as the HD 650.

I wouldn't be able to live with the midrange coloration over the HD 650, if I were to only keep one of them. Nonetheless the A900X is a tremendous value at its price.

May 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #248 of 539
Quote:
No, not objective.

But I owned both concurrently and my impression is that the A900X is an excellent performer but not quite in the same league. It has excellent clarity and more apparent treble. Its stereo width and separation is also more apparent. It appears to sound more balanced (i.e. less dark and thick) with relative neutrality.

What prevents the A900X from being superb against the HD 650 is a slightly perceptible mid-range nasality, likely a consequence of being a sealed design. This plasticky timbre in the midrange prevents it from reaching the same level of effortless enjoyment as the HD 650.

I wouldn't be able to live with the midrange coloration over the HD 650, if I were to only keep one of them. Nonetheless the A900X is a tremendous value at its price.

Thanks a lot that was a great comparison. I have really started liking my 650's over the couple years that I've owned them so I guess I'll see for myself how they stack up.

May 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #251 of 539
What does ART mean? Are these 'Art Garfunkel' headphones?

May 5, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #253 of 539
NIB at $128 shipped to my door from Buydig, my A900X purchase was a no brainer. I was indeed a bit worried about the wing system, but very happy to report the fit is perfect and best of all, no pressure to the top of my head. For my head this is an awesome design (exactly opposite of my Q701 which I love but they hurt like hell after a short time)

Upon first listen out of box, they sounded very closed in and intimate. It didn't sound like all of the music was there or that the notes were dying off quickly. After about 6 hours they were starting to sound pretty darn good. Break-in has been a real phenomena for all of my phones. I've heard changes in every single one of my pairs. Although after about 10 hours, not so much change. I am running pink noise through them now and will for the next 48 hours but I'll have to say for the money spent, they are an excellent bargain. I also like the fact they are "Made in Japan". Really nice quality for the money there too. Other phones I use are HE-500, HE-400, Grado PS500, Denon D5K, Q701, modded TR50P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back