Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
Jun 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #271 of 539
Prices of all Japanese headphones should be falling--it reflects the weakening purchasing power of the yen. That's why as of 1-2 months ago the prices fell to around $200 (in Canada, at least)

Jun 7, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #272 of 539

Quote:
If anyone is interested, I'm trying to sell my pair of these on the FS forum. I love these headphones, I just had some issues fitting them just right on my ears. The soundstage on these still blows me away...

Try ordering some Comply TS-500's. They're the only tip that works for me. Also, I could not get them in the "correct" way either, so I have them like this:

MUCH more comfortable and I can wear them indefinitely.

Jul 15, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #274 of 539
I got my ATH-A900X yesterday, and I'm really disappointed. The 3D wing is so weak it provides virtually no support. The headphones clamp a bit, but as soon as I move my head the headphones slide down and rest on the top of my ears.

I have two questions:
 - Is this normal, or are they faulty?
 - What closed cans could I replace them with for work, preferably Audio Technica? I loved my original A900s but they were stolen :frowning2: I love the A900 sound, I've had AKG271 (not so good), Beyer 770 (too much bass), CD3000 (nice but expensive), LCD-2 (awesome but too expensive for work). I have Beats by Dr Dre, love the noise cancelling but clarity of music not great.

Jul 15, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #275 of 539
I got my ATH-A900X yesterday, and I'm really disappointed. The 3D wing is so weak it provides virtually no support. The headphones clamp a bit, but as soon as I move my head the headphones slide down and rest on the top of my ears.

I have two questions:
 - Is this normal, or are they faulty?
 - What closed cans could I replace them with for work, preferably Audio Technica? I loved my original A900s but they were stolen :frowning2: I love the A900 sound, I've had AKG271 (not so good), Beyer 770 (too much bass), CD3000 (nice but expensive), LCD-2 (awesome but too expensive for work). I have Beats by Dr Dre, love the noise cancelling but clarity of music not great.

Yep, fit and the "3D-wing system" has been an issue for some.
I believe one "mod" was to use a rubber-band to make it more secure and stiffer... You could try that.

If not, my recommendation would be: MrSpeakers Mad Dogs (check the threads... a lot of people have compared them to the LCD2... :wink: I personally love them.)

Jul 19, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #276 of 539
 still worried about that "bad batch" apparently in the 2012-05 marked sticker of the boxes. I want to order from e bay, but I've been asking and sellers tell me that's the date their boxes are marked with.

Something about mismatched drivers and very low bass.

anyone now something about this ???

Jul 19, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #277 of 539
I have a 2012-05 pair and they don't have any lack of bass and there's just a very slight chanel imbalance, where the left driver is slightly (1-5%) louder than the right...but this may be very well my own hearing, because I always had this sensation with every pair of headphones and speakers I had and listened, as if all records are produced with a slight preference for the left chanel.

EDIT:
Just checked my Denons and Rolands, (with my ears) they possess exactly the same chanel imbalance, so it appears my left ear is more sensitive.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #280 of 539
Thread title updated to reflect the ongoing discussion.

As for ATH-M50LE vs A900X (Trying to recall from a week ago)

A few notable differences:
The M50LE's have more bass
The A900X's have much better imaging
The M50LE's are a bit more fatiguing
The A900X's are more comfortable
They're similar in treble, but the A900X's are more fun with the midrange..vocals sound smoother for example.

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #281 of 539
Very interesting that these have less bass than the m50LE. I've read that the standard a900 has less bass than these but those have more bass than the LE which leaves me confused.... Could be because you changed the pads on your a900x? Or I mean Did you change the pads? I forgot if that was you that posted that.

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #283 of 539
Quote:
Very interesting that these have less bass than the m50LE. I've read that the standard a900 has less bass than these but those have more bass than the LE which leaves me confused.... Could be because you changed the pads on your a900x? Or I mean Did you change the pads? I forgot if that was you that posted that.

Like I say on every A900x related thread, they can be found refurbished for $99.  Way better value than M50, unless you listen to bass oriented music.
Pads can hurt for the first several hours before breakage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back