Audio Technica ATH-A900X Discussion Thread (Formerly A-900X Review)
May 10, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #46 of 539
Quote:

The differences are certainly there and large enough that I recommend the A900X over the A700X with confidence.  As for a $100 difference, I would say its worth it but others may not.

hmmm guess it's something I'll have to decide myself. The a700x still retains the same sound signature though right? Also you said in another thread the dt880 is better than the 900x. Which model have you got and in what ways is it better? I've heard it has thin vocals. It's a headphone I am considering also.

May 13, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #47 of 539
Quote:

hmmm guess it's something I'll have to decide myself. The a700x still retains the same sound signature though right? Also you said in another thread the dt880 is better than the 900x. Which model have you got and in what ways is it better? I've heard it has thin vocals. It's a headphone I am considering also.

Just got the A900X yesterday.

I find the Q701 is easily superior to the DT880, while the A900X is a branch off the Q701.

K550 sounds better than them all though.
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #49 of 539
Quote:

The A700X has a similar sound, yes.  In my opinion, the DT880's are better than the A900X's--The Beyers (DT880 250 ohm) have this ''airy'' sound that I simply cannot describe.  It's unbelievably addictive.  Vocals sound gorgeous on them!

I would go for the A900X's if you do not intend to spend $200+ on an amp for the DT880's, though.  I had to upgrade my amp 2 or 3 times before I even liked the sound.

Quote:
I just dropped the hammer on a pair of these out of Japan.  I can't wait to get them!  Hopefully these will compliment my SRH-840s and FA-011s well.

A buddy of mine compared the SRH-840's and the A900X's and claims they are similar enough to warrant selling a pair off.  I'm not sure about the FA-011's.

In short, the 840's should have more bass, but the A900X's will have more natural sounding bass with a wider, more lush midrange.

May 14, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #50 of 539
Is it the premiuim DT880's you're referring to or the pro's? Which amps did you try/ which one worked? I always read that the 880's have a thin hollow vocal/midrange

May 14, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #51 of 539
It is the non-pro version I tried.  The amps that I finally really liked were the Nuforce HDP or Maverick A1 tube amp.

I also think the DT880's sound thin when not properly amped.

May 15, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #52 of 539
Hm I thought based on the reviews I have read that the A900X would have more bass than the Shures, but either way I probably wont be disappointed. Besides, the FA-011s have plenty bass to get my fix. I was kind of hoping I might be able to sell the Shures if I like these enough and if they are similar enough... might keep the Shures for travel though...

May 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #53 of 539
Anyone here use their A900X with the Asus Xonar Essence STX, wondering how well (sound wise) the combo sounds?

May 15, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #54 of 539
Quote:
Would anyone mind telling me/measure for me how large the earpads is? I'm trying to get some other ear pads for my T50RP, and I've been thinking that any of the Axx00 or ADxx00 series' ear pads might fit.

Re the A700x/A900x, AT tells me:

Quote:

The pads from the AD700 will fit both models. They are available at $7.16/pair plus postage.

Being a pleather hater, this is one of the first things I check on when considering a headphone.
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #55 of 539
Quote:
Anyone here use their A900X with the Asus Xonar Essence STX, wondering how well (sound wise) the combo sounds?

This is just my assumption, but the Xonar STX is a very capable sound card--it'll likely sound great.  The A900X's are easy to drive as it is and they scale nicely with amps. 

May 16, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #56 of 539
I ordered (shipping UPS 1 day) my A900X yesterday (Tues) at around noon from J&R in New York city, they were to ship out on Wed and arrive (California) Thurs mid day.
J&R were able to ship out late Tues evening and shipped the package UPS 1 day delivery before 10:30AM, they arrived this morning (Wed) at 9:00AM.
I think J&R is going to get more of my business.

So far the sound is good with the A900X, I hear details.
Kind of wish they came with Velour ear pads, but really can not complain about the stock pads.
light weight and just the right amount of grip for long term wearing.
Now I just need to sell off my two DT770s.

May 17, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #57 of 539
J&R has always been super reliable for me.  Though since I'm from Canada, customs/brokerage fees hurt =( But wow that's insanely fast.  Glad you're enjoying the A900X's! 

How do they compare with the DT770's?

Actually--can you compare them to the DT770's, DT990's and the HD558's?

I'm curious specifically about the bass and soundstage.

May 17, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #58 of 539
Quote:
J&R has always been super reliable for me.  Though since I'm from Canada, customs/brokerage fees hurt =( But wow that's insanely fast.  Glad you're enjoying the A900X's! 

I'm curious specifically about the bass and soundstage.

I'm also interested. I have the DT770/80 and the soundstage is absolutely amazing. I love it. I've had open headphones before but this is the first headphones that's impressed me with the soundstage because the music still holds it's weight even though they're a bit far away where as other open headphones sounded even thinner like the ad900. The bass I'm not too impressed with. They are described as bass monsters but I can't see why. My panasonics have more bass.

May 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #59 of 539
Quote:
I'm curious specifically about the bass and sound stage.

I got the A900X because I wanted headphones with better clarity then the DT770 and little less thump.
In general I like the DT770, but really can not wear them for long periods of time, I think my almost 48 year old hears do not do well with heavy bass from a closed headphones.
A few weeks ago I noticed that my ($40) Panasonic RP-HTF600-S, with Velour ear pads ($20), had better clarity then my $150 DT770s, that's when I decided I need better closed cans.
With the A900X, it's bass is good (but not thumping) and the light grip seem make it better for long term wearing.
And the clarity with the A900X is nice, I'm going to watch the Harry Potter Hallow 2 movie Blu-ray, for the first movie test.
I guess I'm going to try a few more movie over the next week so I can form a well thought out opinion on the A900X.
But so far music is really nice, clear and balanced.
I do prefer to use open headphones in general, but I live in an apartment, so sometime I need to use closed headphones, local kids play and scream 15 feet outside my door.
I normal use my DT990 (Pro 250-Ohm) for action movies (full bass, full treble), as they provide a movie theater like sound.
The HD558s are great for everything (balanced sound), more vocals and less bass & treble then the DT990.
I also like to use my AKG K242HDs (great mids), they are less "analytical" then the HD558s.
So I'll post back on a more inform opinion in a few days.

May 17, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #60 of 539
Quote:
I'm also interested. I have the DT770/80 and the soundstage is absolutely amazing. I love it. I've had open headphones before but this is the first headphones that's impressed me with the soundstage because the music still holds it's weight even though they're a bit far away where as other open headphones sounded even thinner like the ad900. The bass I'm not too impressed with. They are described as bass monsters but I can't see why. My panasonics have more bass.

Yea, the A900X are not bassy headphones, but it does seem to have enough bass for the job.
Can't wait to see how they sound after 100 hours of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back