Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Apr 23, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #2,283 of 2,738
I have a USB one on the way. Its nice to have the option.

Macrog

Apr 23, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #2,284 of 2,738

Quote:
I have a USB one on the way. Its nice to have the option.

Macrog

How the heck do you have that option?  They told me it wasn't available yet for the RE7.1.  That's B.S..  I agree, it's nice to have the option even if it's not the best implementation.  Oh well, looks like once again Edwin didn't know what he was talking about.

Also on their webpage it specifies that it does not come with USB:

http://audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/RE7.1/RE7.1EN.htm

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #2,285 of 2,738
What awg is that silver wire PJ ?

Peete.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #2,286 of 2,738

Quote:

On the Audio-GD page for the Ref. 7.1 they offer USB support in the way of their Digital Interface.  Perhaps that is what this dealer is offering without being specific.

I bought a NFB-10ES with USB from Ampcity. That's how they advertise the USB option. Anyway an Audio-gd DI costs £159/ $262 that would mean they were offering a Digital interface at a $221 discount for $41 with the 7.1   

Where do I sign. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #2,287 of 2,738

Quote:
What awg is that silver wire PJ ?

Peete.

24 awg., which is the best for hookup wire and interconnects.  For a headphone cable the optimum would be 21 - 24awg depending on how much voltage you are running through them, and speaker cables anywhere from 14 - 20 awg.

Apr 24, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #2,288 of 2,738
It looks larger than that in the pics...I guess Neotech uses a pretty thick PTFE jacket...the Mundorf stuff I use is also 24 awg but it looks tiny in comparison. Maybe I'm blind...my eyes certainly have changed in the last 2 years (up close small print stuff is blurry as hell).

Peete.

Apr 25, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #2,289 of 2,738

Quote:
It looks larger than that in the pics...I guess Neotech uses a pretty thick PTFE jacket...the Mundorf stuff I use is also 24 awg but it looks tiny in comparison. Maybe I'm blind...my eyes certainly have changed in the last 2 years (up close small print stuff is blurry as hell).

Peete.

Yeah, I've seen some 24awg that looks tiny as well.  It just depends on the dielectric that they are using.

What I also noticed now from those pictures is that there are parts missing that were supposed to be installed, if you compare to the picture on Audio-gd's site.  I brought this to Edwin's attention and he says not to worry, that it will work before it ships, however that doesn't answer my question if whether or not the parts will be installed.  Since it's been burning in for the 8 out of the 10 days, if they go now and install the parts then they won't be tested for the same amount of time as the rest.

Apr 25, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #2,290 of 2,738
I think you need to just enjoy the music and not be so picky about small things. Either that or buy some off-the-shelf brand-name gear with no mods.

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #2,291 of 2,738
Apr 25, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #2,292 of 2,738

Quote:
I think you need to just enjoy the music and not be so picky about small things. Either that or buy some off-the-shelf brand-name gear with no mods.

Sage advice...I'd run with that.  Why don't you just wait until you get it and enjoy the heck out of it.  I'm sure it will be a fine DAC.  Seems like you're letting  your head create all kinds of foregone conclusions and you haven't even got the thing at this point.  As far as the USB - if that really bugs you then ask again.  I also see where there is no indication of that option being offered on the current page, beyond adding the additional unit.  Perhaps Kingwa decided not to offer it for some reason, after initially building some that way. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #2,293 of 2,738

Quote:

That has nothing to do with any mods, they are stock parts.  If parts were missing from your DAC, wouldn't you be concerned as well?  I've had my share of problems with gear from them that I don't want this one to also arrive damaged or non-functioning and then have to ship it back.  That's all I've been dealing with for the past 3 months with other gear.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:36 AM Post #2,295 of 2,738
That has nothing to do with any mods, they are stock parts.  If parts were missing from your DAC, wouldn't you be concerned as well?  I've had my share of problems with gear from them that I don't want this one to also arrive damaged or non-functioning and then have to ship it back.  That's all I've been dealing with for the past 3 months with other gear.

The silver wire you asked to be used is not a stock part. You fell into this same problem with your Ref 1 when you asked for mods. Seriously man, you bring about your own problems, you just don't see it. Ask your girlfriend, she'll agree, I know without doubt.

----

On a different note (ha!) I sprung for the Audiophillio. Thought I can't say (yet) how much is just because of the absence of a cable, I feel already it is a significant upgrade from the Ref 3, though I accept the caveat of being in "honeymoon period" since I only received it today, I've found my first impressions to generally be correct down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back