Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Nov 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #2,732 of 2,738
Quote:
Yes, Kingwa said using flat ribbon is better, and to try different types for comparison. Make it short though.....

I have bought few flat ribbon cable for test, it is worst than the normal web cable, then I cut it ,fought it is each two wires intertwist configuration .

I have try the longest I2S transfer  with 5M cable still working, a bit worst performance by instruments test, slight worst on sound.

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #2,733 of 2,738
Anyone tried short cat7 patch cables? eg: http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/Category-7-S-FTP-Patch-Cable-1-m-3-3-ft/EVNSL74%C4%8280%C4%82001M

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #2,734 of 2,738
I have bought few flat ribbon cable for test, it is worst than the normal web cable, then I cut it ,fought it is each two wires intertwist configuration .

I have try the longest I2S transfer  with 5M cable still working, a bit worst performance by instruments test, slight worst on sound.

Sorry Kingwa I had mixed it up and misrepresented your i2s cable connection suggestion. Thanks for correcting it.

Sep 15, 2015 at 5:12 AM Post #2,737 of 2,738
Hi!
I am looking for I2S input Board for my dac.
In this page I found this description:

"this little board allows for two extra selectable I2S inputs in addition to preserving the original I2S line"

Where can I buy this little completed pcb?
What is the price?

Best regards,
Geir Fredriksen
Letnesveien 718
7670 Inderøy
Norway

Sep 29, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #2,738 of 2,738
Hey all,

Was wondering if anyone with the Reference 7 (not the 7.1) could elaborate on how long they leave their unit powered on? Does anyone leave it on 24/7?

I picked up a Reference 7 second hand a few days ago and have noticed the manual isn't actually available on the Audio-GD site -- it's just got a diagram of the internal jumpers that can be used to bypass oversampling etc.

I've never really needed to leave a DAC on 24/7, but I've noticed the Reference 7 needs a fair amount of warm up time before it's sounding best. I am concerned since it runs much warmer than my previous DACs (Centrance DACMini + M2Tech Young) and I also read somewhere in this thread that apparently the manual says to operate it for no longer then 8hrs at a time...

I actually left it on for two days when I first got it. It was just warm to touch. While it's obviously still working fine I am a little concerned if leaving it on 24/7 is not considered appropriate, since the warm up time really is fairly lengthy...

I've emailed Kingwa for advice but not heard back yet. Appreciate any input in the mean time. :)

Cheers

EDIT:

Kingwa has advised 24/7 operating is OK as long as it is not too hot, but to restart the unit every 5 days or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back