Audio-GD Reference 7 - the new flagship DAC
Apr 21, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #2,266 of 2,738
Hi everyone.
I have ordered the Ref 7.1, and afterwards I wanted to makes sure that it actually plays 88.2kHz files (without downsampling to 44.1kHz).
After testing, Edwin at Audio-GD reported back that it doesn't play it, and when I asked Kingwa if he could fic this, he says that it already does.
Anyone who can confirm that the Ref 7.1 does or doesn't play 88.2kHz files?

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #2,267 of 2,738

Quote:
Hi everyone.
I have ordered the Ref 7.1, and afterwards I wanted to makes sure that it actually plays 88.2kHz files (without downsampling to 44.1kHz).
After testing, Edwin at Audio-GD reported back that it doesn't play it, and when I asked Kingwa if he could fic this, he says that it already does.
Anyone who can confirm that the Ref 7.1 does or doesn't play 88.2kHz files?

There is absolutely no reason why it can't play those files.  It can play up to 24/96.  You can't listen to anything Edwin tells you.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #2,268 of 2,738
Quote:
That would be all well and good and I've obviously tried that, except here is the only place Kingwa responds to now.  You can't reach him by e-mail anymore.  You only get Edwin.

That is not my experience. I just got an answer form him yesterday.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #2,269 of 2,738
Quote:
There is absolutely no reason why it can't play those files.  It can play up to 24/96.  You can't listen to anything Edwin tells you.

Thanks for your answer. That was what I thought also.
What made me ask, was when I was told that the A-GD Digital Interface doesn't take 88.2kHz files.
So - that's why I would like those who already have the Ref 7.1 to report back on this.

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #2,270 of 2,738

Quote:
Quote:

What made me ask, was when I was told that the A-GD Digital Interface doesn't take 88.2kHz files.
So - that's why I would like those who already have the Ref 7.1 to report back on this.

I don't have it yet, but I know that core part of the unit is the same as the Ref 7 was.  There is absolutely no reason why it wouldn't play those files.

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #2,272 of 2,738
iPodPJ: Maybe Kingwa doesn't respond to YOU. :wink:

As for you being frustrated, it is of your own making. You sold off your gear, so whining because of that is nonsense.

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #2,273 of 2,738
Quote:
iPodPJ: Maybe Kingwa doesn't respond to YOU.
wink.gif

As for you being frustrated, it is of your own making. You sold off your gear, so whining because of that is nonsense.

You obviously did not read what I wrote then.  I'm frustrated for several reasons, one of which was having a power plant that fried a lot of stuff (and fortunately the RE7 was plugged into the wall and not into the PPP when this happened), and was frustrated (like many other customers here) because they were being intentionally lied to.  My issue was just as valid as any one else here who purchased stuff from Audio-gd.  Did you even read those threads?  I'm sure you did.  If not I can direct you to them.  Did you find a beef with those customers' complaints?  I'm sure you didn't.  And when I sold my RE7 I specified to the buyer that it wouldn't be for sale for 4-8 weeks, and I only parted with it after 6 weeks when I was given a ship date for the new DAC, otherwise I would have waited to sell it.  I have no problem with waiting 3 months for an item, as long as I'm told up front before I fork over my money.  How is that in any way unreasonable?

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #2,274 of 2,738
Is it just me that doesn't expect moderators to make bitchy comments?

I understood the moderators position to at least pretend to be impartial.

Macrog

Apr 22, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #2,275 of 2,738
Nope, we are users first, moderators second. Only actual moderation is done impartially.

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #2,276 of 2,738

Quote:
Quote:

I have one of the last Ref 8 DACs that Kingwa built and I can assure you it plays 88.2khz files just fine (I have several from HD Tracks).  I've never had a problem.  I'd not heard of such a limitation - where are you getting this information?

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #2,277 of 2,738
Quote:
I have one of the last Ref 8 DACs that Kingwa built and I can assure you it plays 88.2khz files just fine (I have several from HD Tracks).  I've never had a problem.  I'd not heard of such a limitation - where are you getting this information?

Arrgh ... from Edwin at Audio-GD! But then I turned to Kingwa, and he said it worked.

Apr 23, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #2,278 of 2,738
It is only the Tenor-chip-based USB that can't handle 88.2kHz files. The DACs otherwise can all play them fine through the other inputs.

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #2,279 of 2,738

Quote:
It is only the Tenor-chip-based USB that can't handle 88.2kHz files. The DACs otherwise can all play them fine through the other inputs.

I opted out of USB on mine. As great as Kingwa's DACs are (and I really do love the Ref. 8), the implementation of USB to them seems like an afterthought of convenience rather than something he really focused on making special.  No direct comparative experience to back that up, just a reaction to a handful of email exchanges with Edwin and Kingwa, and from reading their site.  The option certainly was not recommended to me by them or highlighted as a must-have.  I used the SPDIF input.  Has anyone actually done some real-life comparisons on their Audio-GD with USB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back