Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Sep 18, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #1,606 of 2,441
I've been contemplating some 24 awg mundurf but I like 10 ft long headphone cables and that'll get a bit expensive
frown.gif
. Is it better than most silver wire?

Sep 19, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #1,607 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been contemplating some 24 awg mundurf but I like 10 ft long headphone cables and that'll get a bit expensive
frown.gif
. Is it better than most silver wire?

Dunno for sure...the selling point for me was the 1% 24K gold alloy mix with the silver.

I'll be able to give an impression of it sometime next week when I rewire the RE1/Phoenix with the Mundorf cable. Others have mentioned it's a very good hook up wire with the properties of copper (without the bloat) and the clarity, detail and speed of silver without etch/thinning out. A perfect balance ? I hope that is the case.

I should have the mod completed in a day or two (Wed or Thurs of next week). It depends on how hard it is to access all the pads and terminals inside the Phoenix chassis. I'm also going to change out the wiring to the headphone jacks and use solid core silver (20 awg or 18 awg depending on the pcb hole sizes) for the DC power wiring. A big job but it should be a major (I'm hoping it will be) upgrade, fingers crossed.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Sep 19, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #1,608 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this racket 5 bucks a ft is cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

Check this out Les.... Take Five Audio - Canada's Online Source For High-End Audio, Parts and Accessories - Oyaide FTVS-510 Cryo Treated

and this Neotech NEVD-2001 SILVER Digital Cable

Peete.

Ohh, for sure Snake Oil abounds.

It just seems expensive for a lightweight COAX. Shame we can't just find some reasonable cost COAX for a reasonable amount. This wire occupies a niche and that's where the cash comes in. I'll keep looking because I would like to have a spool of light flexible COAX where you want to use a COAX hookup wire.

When I wired up my Claro Halo BNC port I used a Canare MINI COAX. I looked at it and figured no way I could get it to work in the inputs of the REF1. Maybe Kingwa has a resource for this?

Sep 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #1,609 of 2,441
Hey everybody

I'm new here
biggrin.gif

Been searching the web for quite some time and I've found a site called Pocket
Its in Hebrew but it has some neat video reviews and preview
There are people who speak english on their forums too, so its great...

Anyway
I thought to let you all know
Maybe some of you will find it useful like I did when I was searching for iPhone reviews

Please reply if you liked it

pocket ôå÷è | çãù! ÷äéìú iPhone

May the god be with you

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #1,610 of 2,441
I would like to ask a general DAC question here, mainly because I do have an interest in the REf1.
How would a dac be used with 2 amps?
Assuming I had 2 amps, say one SS balanced & one tube SE, and I connected then both to the Ref1 one to the RCA outputs and one to the XLR outputs at the same time. Would one of the outputs disable the other?
What I would like to do is run the Dac into both amps without the need to disconnect any cables. I assume I would need an output selector of some type on the Dac.
Any thoughts.

Also has anyone heard the DAC-9 MK3 yet. Thanks

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #1,611 of 2,441
Both the XLR and RCA work at the same time (I know as I've tried it- RCA to my sub and XLR to my amp), but the CAST outputs turns those off when in use. You can have Kingwa add another output if needed I think. You don't need a selector, just use one or the other or both.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #1,612 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both the XLR and RCA work at the same time (I know as I've tried it- RCA to my sub and XLR to my amp), but the CAST outputs turns those off when in use. You can have Kingwa add another output if needed I think. You don't need a selector, just use one or the other or both.

Thanks that's good to hear as I did not want to be fannying around with cables everytime I wanted to use a different amp.
Would the result be the same if the 2 outputs were both XLR and not XLR & RCA and would they both still be balanced?

I am thinking of having an extra XLR output added for when the day comes when I will have 2 balanced amps 1 tube & 1 SS.

Thanks

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #1,613 of 2,441
Yes, this will work. Not sure if you mean that you'll power up and use all three amps at the same time though. But, if all you do is run another set of XLR connectors off of the existing wiring this should work without a hitch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the result be the same if the 2 outputs were both XLR and not XLR & RCA and would they both still be balanced?

I am thinking of having an extra XLR output added for when the day comes when I will have 2 balanced amps 1 tube & 1 SS.

Thanks

Sep 22, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #1,615 of 2,441

Attn: All Webmasters!

BigBoxStore.com is a Chinese wholesale company distributing Iphones, Gadgets, Digital Cameras, and more for extremely low affordable prices. You don't pay for anything until people pay you. No need to stock home/office with merchandise. After you've made a sale and collected money from your client, we send the merchandise to the client directly.

Interested in more details? Contact our Chinese Electronics Dropship Website.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #1,616 of 2,441
Sorry guys I have not yet rewired anything as my health has thrown me for yet another setback of considerable proportion. I have parts sitting here waiting to go into a number of projects so this delay is a rather large monkey wrench in the FrankenWORKS so to speak. No matter I'll get to it when I'm ready.

OTOH this time off has allowed me to really listen at length to the mod I completed not so long ago.

The Illuminati Ohm Aha coax kit is well worth the effort as I can plainly hear it's benefits (of which I have had some time of late to concentrate solely on). I'm glad I took the plunge on that one.

Peete.

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #1,618 of 2,441
Peete,

Don't worry about anything else - just get better! We'll be prayin' and pulling for you out here.

Sep 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #1,620 of 2,441
Thanks guys
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm feeling way better than last week that's for sure !

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back