Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Sep 10, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #1,501 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by niemion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry babe. Cables are indeed last on my list. Given the amount of people who don't appreciate exotic cables I think it's only fair to be in doubt if it's really worth it. Thereby not saying that I'm not going to borrow the finest from the local hi-fi dealer, but if I can't clearly hear the difference (with closed eyes and someone else switching them) I can guarantee you that the those cable are going back on the shelves.

The only exotic cable I'll buy for sure (if I decide going for a balanced DAC/amp combo like the Phoenix / Ref-1) would be balanced after market cables for the HD800.

I don't recommend exotic cords. I recommend the cord that works best for the equipment being used. In some cases, the stock cord is it. If an aftermarket one happens to work better then it will get my recommendation, and I have tried enough cords "exotic" or otherwise to know if they will make a difference.

By trying so many different cords on Kingwa's gear, I can tell you that he has spent a lot of time getting his equipment to sound pretty damn good with what it comes with stock.

Sep 10, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #1,502 of 2,441
I am certainly the skeptic concerning cables and burn-in but either I am one of the lemmings jumping over the cliff or I can really hear better sound from the AGD gear (amps in particular) after about a week+ of constant use- based on the C-2C, Ref-1 and FBI-500.
edit: I don't find the same changes with headphones over time- some yes, but not to the same amount as the electronics I own.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #1,504 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and I bought a BJ BNC cable based on your accounts. I found it to be indistinguishable from my Stereovox XV2 (which is for sale here BTW) which is supposed to be the cats meow. TIFWIW.

Well, we all hear different things.
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe with USB and the Bel Canto it is insignificant.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #1,512 of 2,441
All this talk of the CD7 and transporter caused me to cave in and get the Reference 3. The basic results have been more detail, eg: the echo of the sax around the studio in Kind of Blue is now more clear. It's more of an improvement than the demo of Amarra gave me. I did try changing between a BNC Canare/Blue Jeans cable and a Van Den Hul The First Ultimate RCA with no difference. Upsampling makes things a tiny bit smoother, but there's nothing in it really, and I didn't get it for that reason. Interestingly, if I switch the upsampling rate while playing, the music goes out of phase sometimes, which I can rectify by pressing the reset switch. Overall though, I like the improvement. I can't help wondering what would happen if you daisy-chained a bunch of them together what would happen to the sound....
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #1,513 of 2,441
I still do not think the Amarra does anything other than messing with the original data. I tried with 3 different media players in Mac so far, and I can't tell the difference. I can't try the Amarra because I do not have the hardware for it.

In any rate, maybe I should look into Ref3, but then it's still limited to 16/44.1. What's the point of having this when the Ref1 does resampling and have a good jitter correction? You are basically doing the job in Ref3 instead of Ref1. seems like a same thing to me.

Sep 10, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #1,514 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All this talk of the CD7 and transporter caused me to cave in and get the Reference 3. The basic results have been more detail, eg: the echo of the sax around the studio in Kind of Blue is now more clear. It's more of an improvement than the demo of Amarra gave me. I did try changing between a BNC Canare/Blue Jeans cable and a Van Den Hul The First Ultimate RCA with no difference. Upsampling makes things a tiny bit smoother, but there's nothing in it really, and I didn't get it for that reason. Interestingly, if I switch the upsampling rate while playing, the music goes out of phase sometimes, which I can rectify by pressing the reset switch. Overall though, I like the improvement. I can't help wondering what would happen if you daisy-chained a bunch of them together what would happen to the sound....
wink.gif

Well, it still doesn't reach the level of CD7, but at its best maybe CD3 (according to the maker) and my eyes popped out when I saw your name on the shipment list of REF3 ..
biggrin.gif
, because this is something I have my eyes on. Its good to know that you find improvements with REF3 in the chain as it helps me to finally go for it even though I have no space left on my desk top and I am getting quite sick of everything black ! Thanks Curra.

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #1,515 of 2,441
@IPodPJ & niemion - one other thing about the Transporter as a DAC versus Ref1 is the CAST outputs to the Phoenix. Obviously if you've got the Ref1 you're going to use them so it's fair to compare that as a 'best choice' but it's a synergy the Transporter is just not capable of having. So if you happen to not use a CAST-capable amp would there still be the difference? I'm sorry if you did try that and I missed it IPodPJ but it's something to consider and maybe check out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back