Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Aug 13, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #1,231 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

p.s.: BTW, what do I do with this Data cable?

I'm confused; there is a 9-pin cable that you must connect between the Phoenix power supply and the amp section. Is that the cable you are talking about? If so, it's no surprise you are not hearing anything.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #1,232 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the first thing I would try is to test the components separately to figure out where the problem lies. Also, what settings is your digital output on the mac set to?

It's set to Digital Line out. The volume control gets disabled. I used to have CI Audio and it worked without any issue.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #1,233 of 2,441
lol what do i do with this data cable
tongue.gif
. You connect it between the phoenix PSU and amp boxes
biggrin.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #1,234 of 2,441
Quote:

It's set to Digital Line out. The volume control gets disabled. I used to have CI Audio and it worked without any issue.

That won't necesssarily tell you much. For example, the Ref1 will not accept a 192khz signal, whereas I think the CI Audio does. If the mac is set output to 192, you wont hear anything.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #1,235 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol what do i do with this data cable
tongue.gif
. You connect it between the phoenix PSU and amp boxes
biggrin.gif

So, it wouldn't work if I don't connect this? There are two cables, 2 output data and 1 input too. I thought this was only for debugging or something

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #1,236 of 2,441
Yes there are two data outputs not sure why, just pick whichever one you like and connect it to the 1 input. Also if you can't set things up can I come to your home and set it up?
tongue.gif
I want to listen to the ref 1.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #1,237 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes there are two data outputs not sure why, just pick whichever one you like and connect it to the 1 input. Also if you can't set things up can I come to your home and set it up?
tongue.gif
I want to listen to the ref 1.

I had no clue this is actually required. Let me try that and report back..

Thanks a bunch.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #1,238 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That won't necesssarily tell you much. For example, the Ref1 will not accept a 192khz signal, whereas I think the CI Audio does. If the mac is set output to 192, you wont hear anything.

The optical out on the mac pro is maxed out at 96khz. It's currently set to 96khz too and 24bit word length.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #1,239 of 2,441
tosehee: Instead of making a post every single minute you have a thought, do you think you could click on the "edit" button on your last post, especially if it's the last post in the thread, and update the post? Many people would appreciate it. Thanks.

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #1,240 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tosehee: Instead of making a post every single minute you have a thought, do you think you could click on the "edit" button on your last post, especially if it's the last post in the thread, and update the post? Many people would appreciate it. Thanks.

I am sorry. I didn't think about it. I was just little carried away because it doesn't seem to work at first attempt. I will modify the current thread. Is there anyway I can delete the previous threads?

BTW, by connecting the 9-pin data cable as advised, I can hear the sounds now. Phew. Sorry for a dumb posts here, and I apology again for numerous posts that became like a spam.

Regards

Aug 13, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #1,241 of 2,441
Quote:

Do you really think the transport makes a difference that much?

Take a look at this, IpodPJ.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/us...oaxial-394437/

No offense, just trying to hear your thoughts and others. Somewhat off-topic to RE1 though.

Yes, a transport makes that much of a difference. The differences in quality using my Sony Blu-Ray player as a CD transport vs. my Squeezebox/CIAudio rig are huge. Not small. Not semi-noticeable. Huge. (to these ears.) Quality power regulation and clock accuracy are crucial for good performance in a transport.

And LMAO on the signal cable issue. How else would the data signal be transferred from the power supply/selector chassis to the amp chassis? The two other cables are strictly for power supply and it is labeled as such on the back of the units. Too funny.
biggrin.gif

And it's not going to come with CAST cables unless you purchased them from Audio-gd.

On another note, you said you were using Input 2 for RCA? That's odd. Inputs 2 and 4 on my amp are XLR.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #1,242 of 2,441
Yeah. I never had an amp that had PSU and actual amp in two different chassis. My bad.

As for the input, I typed too fast and mis-typed. It's being connected to input #1.

BTW, I did order the CAST along with Re1 and Phoenix. I specifically asked him to ship to together and even asked him to double check. But then, he's moving, so I understand that the mistakes/oversight could happen.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, a transport makes that much of a difference. The differences in quality using my Sony Blu-Ray player as a CD transport vs. my Squeezebox/CIAudio rig are huge. Not small. Not semi-noticeable. Huge. (to these ears.) Quality power regulation and clock accuracy are crucial for good performance in a transport.

And LMAO on the signal cable issue. How else would the data signal be transferred from the power supply/selector chassis to the amp chassis? The two other cables are strictly for power supply and it is labeled as such on the back of the units. Too funny.
biggrin.gif

And it's not going to come with CAST cables unless you purchased them from Audio-gd.

On another note, you said you were using Input 2 for RCA? That's odd. Inputs 2 and 4 on my amp are XLR.

Aug 13, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #1,244 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a shame then, because CAST sounds better than XLR which sounds better than RCA. Hopefully he ships it out to you soon.

well, I sent him an email and asked him to send it asap. But with his move, I doubt he can read or respond until sometime next week.

I can hear the sounds, albeit not at its best, but I have no complaints at this point.

Aug 15, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #1,245 of 2,441
He just responded to several questions of mine, and apologized for any delays. You've got to be patient if he is moving.

A little off topic here, I just wanted to tell everyone how phenomenal the Logitech Transporter is as a transport to the Ref1. I don't even think I need to mod it. It is that much better than what I was using. Someone on Audiogon says the Transporter (used as a transport, not a DAC) holds its own against a $20,000 mbl transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back