Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
Aug 12, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #1,201 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The signal level is compatible, but not the connector.

Krell's connector is expensive.

Actually, compared to "Audiophile" connectors of various types, "Krell connecotrs"(LEMOs) are dirt cheap and manufactured better than 99.999% of the Audiophile Crap out there.

About $21 for the Female and $25 for the Males.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #1,202 of 2,441
Just want to thank everyone for the plethora of info on the Audio-GD stuff. I can testify that Kingwa's prime gear is a no-brainer, great bang for the buck experience.

I received my RE1 and CD7 Friday. The DHL guy really had a struggle trying to carry that box(about 70 lbs.).
After about 12 hrs. of warming up the RE1, I put it up against my pro-audio AD/DA Crane Song HEDD 192's (MSRP $3600) DAC half. I'd say they were pretty equal with the RE1 having more bass presence. I know that initial impressions of RE1 are usually "nothing special" and I agree. Now with about another 100 hrs of burn-in, things have really begun to open up. I will compare again in another 400 hours to confirm this.
I tested with the Shanling PCD300A as a transport which usually competes with other <$1K units. It however cannot remain in the same room with the CD7. I knew the RE1 was a tank, but the CD7 actually dwarfs it. The RE1 takes up about 2 rack spaces, the CD7 takes up about 3. Right after I tested the RE1 against the HEDD 192, I hooked up the CD7 / RE1 combo and WOW! It took me about 1 second to retract my "nothing special" statement. (The CD7 needs no burn-in, and Kingwa recommends turning it off whenever not in use to prolong laser life.) I now have to make the following statement: You probably haven't heard what your RE1 is capable of unless you hook it up to a CD7.

At any rate, for about $3500, I'm enjoying the ****** out of my CD7/RE1/Phoenix combo (with CAST). Thank you Headfiers!

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #1,203 of 2,441
I agree with you, the REF1 - CD7 is an awesome combo. So much that I bought 3 extra lasers and even the CD drive so that I don't have to worry for the next 5 years as far as transport is concerned.

Btw, According to my experience, its takes around 20-30 mins (after its switched ON) before CD7 sounds its best.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #1,204 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then you can challenge Kingwa on that "damn absurd percentage scale" because those are his figures, not mine. I do happen to agree with him though, based on what I've heard comparing CAST to XLR.

I think Kingwa prefers numbers as its easier for him to express rather than words.

I would agree with the words used by Wes Phillips (although its about KRELL gears):

Quote:

This was most noticeable with everything connected in CAST mode: Music was grain-free, liquid, detailed, and full of jump. Disconnecting the CAST interconnects and running the same components as balanced caused the Evolution system to sound ever so slightly rougher in texture, less detailed, and somewhat more curtailed at the extremes. Not a lot, but enough that I wanted to go back to CAST immediately.

CAST works—and it's addictive.

Aug 12, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #1,205 of 2,441
I didn't mean to challenge anyone. IMO you just can't rate equipment with numbers just like that. After all, it's all about personal preferences. Though, Kingwa's English can be somewhat difficult to understand every now and then so I understand if he wants to rate things with numbers.

Wes Phillips' quote is more like what I'm looking for.
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw. Has any Ref1 owner heard Bel Canto DAC3?

Aug 12, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #1,207 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone got photos of the CD-7? I can’t see any listing on the Audioi GD site?

Well its off the A-GD website (both Chinese and English) because they only make 100 CD7 a year, and that quota is over.. anyway, I have some pictures which I have attached.

Sorry for the OT.

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:14 AM Post #1,209 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bob,
One of the transistors is sticking straight up on the edge the new board. It is soldered to the top of the board instead of the bottom like the rest that bolt down. What do you do with it? Also, I was surprised he didn't include thermal bonding compound?

For anybody who has installed the new board, what questions did you have to work thru?

The only tricky thing for me were unscrewing the very tightly attached v-regs (transistors). One indeed doesn't need to be attached to the case, as it doesn't get hot. Because the power supply wires aren't colour-coded, I had to double-check I was attaching them correctly. Otherwise, I didn't think it was hard to replace the board.

Aug 12, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #1,210 of 2,441
CD-7 as a transport.. That's an intriguing product, and since everything will be CAST, probably a good investment also.

I am just plain lazy and I prefer the PC(Mac) as a transport. I guess i am too much spoiled with the easy accessibility that PC provides

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #1,211 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only tricky thing for me were unscrewing the very tightly attached v-regs (transistors). One indeed doesn't need to be attached to the case, as it doesn't get hot. Because the power supply wires aren't colour-coded, I had to double-check I was attaching them correctly. Otherwise, I didn't think it was hard to replace the board.

The NEW Transistor sticking up in the air kinda threw me. The hardest part is getting the wires on the underside straight and soldering on the little side wires I guess.

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #1,212 of 2,441
How long did it take for you guys to receive it once it's shipped from Kingwa? I just got notified that they shipped the product on two separate package. Is there a chance that I would be able to receive it this Friday or that's just a wishful thinking only?

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #1,213 of 2,441
There's a chance, it could also come Saturday. Most likely you'll receive it Saturday or Monday at the very latest if it ships as fast as my things from audio-gd, you and I live in the same state. Assuming it doesn't get held up by customs of course.

edit: oops my bad thought DHL delivered on saturday
tongue.gif

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #1,214 of 2,441
Oh. They deliver on Saturday? I didn't know that.. Hrm. I guess I can cross my fingers on this Saturday then..

Aug 12, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #1,215 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The NEW Transistor sticking up in the air kinda threw me. The hardest part is getting the wires on the underside straight and soldering on the little side wires I guess.

Again, what are you guys talking about?

Also, what is that bulky adapter-like thing sticking out of the back of the CD7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back