Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
May 21, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #496 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of temps, mine is back down and I figured out why. Somewhere along the way i had turned off the Ceiling fan. That room houses a lot of HIGH Heat gear and there was not much air movement. Turned the FAN on and everything is a ton cooler. About 10 degrees F. I have not re-shot them all, just used Drosera's Method
icon10.gif

He's got a Ph.d and it's good enough for him. I did dip my hand in boiling water just prior to measuring for calibration purposes though. I know that's going the extra mile, but that's how we roll here!

On a side excursion, I'll schedule a re-shoot of the temps since it seems there was a pretty significant change.

You know Les I was going to say something about the oppressive FLA heat and humidity but I figured you had the AC on by now so I didn't bother to persue it further. I know you know what you are doing. I find a good cold beer or two does wonders for soothing the test finger after calibration
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the update. I'm lucky where I am to not have to deal with that kind of heat for another months or so ...that being said I'm in the basement here and once the AC is on it's like a meat locker...good for the tube amps and gear (including the Comp) but terrible for the human that has to sit down here...not complaining that much though, it sure beats having no AC
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm curious though, with the 337SE on and all the other stuff what was the ambient temp in the room with and without the fan on ? No rush on that Les...when you have a chance.

I know you said a 10F difference but what is the usual temp ? Thanks for taking one for the team !

Peete.

May 21, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #497 of 2,441
Quote:

He's got a Ph.d and it's good enough for him. I did dip my hand in boiling water just prior to measuring for calibration purposes though. I know that's going the extra mile, but that's how we roll here!

biggrin.gif

May 22, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #499 of 2,441
How do you like the FBI 500 Tim ? I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of all my amps for a pair of C-1's

Peete.

May 22, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #500 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the proud, if somewhat overly Audio-gd biased, new owner of the FBI-500 (in addition to the Ref-1 and C-2C), the heat is quite something with all three together as I continue constant use for burn-in.

That FBI-500 is a serious amp, congrats!! I was messing around with my rack earlier in prep for the REFinator, Phoenix, tube amp, and other supporting gear. I was thinking about the consolidated heat factor as well. I've worked out an ideal spot near an AC vent with good overall airflow in the room. I certainly expect some heat, but I don't think it will be an issue. Is the heat getting intense to the point where you might want to run a fan to move some air while doing the constant/heavy burn-in?

May 22, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #502 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know Les I was going to say something about the oppressive FLA heat and humidity but I figured you had the AC on by now so I didn't bother to persue it further. I know you know what you are doing. I find a good cold beer or two does wonders for soothing the test finger after calibration
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

yes Peete
that's for sure
let's have a beer
beerchug.gif

due to all this chat about heat makes me sick
and pretending to go to the bad & check my own temperature
confused_face.gif

May 22, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #504 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you like the FBI 500 Tim ? I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of all my amps for a pair of C-1's

Peete.

Well, I had a Cambridge Audio 640A which I felt (and still feel) is a very nice amp and good value at $360. I slap this monster in (very heavy), connect up the CAST to the REF-1 and am completely impressed. Everything is better- tighter, smoother, deeper bass, just more real and involving, and oh so smooth (retains that smoothness of the Ref-1).
I have a pretty critical ear and try not to be impressed just because I spent money (I have returned upgraded power cords, etc.). If I don't hear improvements, I move on/ return/sell. Is it 4x better than the 640A?, not really, but the cost of it is reasonable in this world of splitting hairs for better sound. I actually can say the sound rivals my C-2C with HD650 (from the Ref-1), and in some ways, better due to the great bass from my Mirage's.
The heat issue does not seem like a big deal to me. It's pretty hot but not excessively so given the nature of the build. I would not close up any of the Audio-gd stuff I have- it needs some breathing room and will affect the temp of a smaller room a couple of degrees.

May 22, 2009 at 9:43 PM Post #505 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I had a Cambridge Audio 640A which I felt (and still feel) is a very nice amp and good value at $360. I slap this monster in (very heavy), connect up the CAST to the REF-1 and am completely impressed. Everything is better- tighter, smoother, deeper bass, just more real and involving, and oh so smooth (retains that smoothness of the Ref-1).
I have a pretty critical ear and try not to be impressed just because I spent money (I have returned upgraded power cords, etc.). If I don't hear improvements, I move on/ return/sell. Is it 4x better than the 640A?, not really, but the cost of it is reasonable in this world of splitting hairs for better sound. I actually can say the sound rivals my C-2C with HD650 (from the Ref-1), and in some ways, better due to the great bass from my Mirage's.
The heat issue does not seem like a big deal to me. It's pretty hot but not excessively so given the nature of the build. I would not close up any of the Audio-gd stuff I have- it needs some breathing room and will affect the temp of a smaller room a couple of degrees.

Thanks Tim....yeah the gear needs plenty of room to breath. Read fellow member Tyson's experiences with the C3SE/DAC8/C1's ....

Peete.

May 22, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #506 of 2,441
OK,
Temp follow up. I decided to use the Infrared gun this time. The 2nd degree burns I sustained from my Last Hand calibration has my hand a little sore.

Ambient air temp w/Ceiling Fan running 78 F.

Bottom: 112
Front: 100
TOP: 97
Sides: 100

DAC: 119
DSP: 108

The DAC chips vary a lot across their surface and for the most part were around 111-112F with the Hottest spot 119 and very small in area. You have to sweep around a lot to find that one little hot spot.

The DSP was fairly Uniform in Temp across it's surface.

Ummm, look how time flies... Time to change my bandages and smear some more Silvadene on those burns, what I won't do for these guys!

p.s. the other day I left the cover off for about 18 hours to see if it made a difference in the temp, no real difference. The biggest change was the ceiling fan making sure the air turned over in the room. The reason I left the top off was to ascertain whether vent holes would help. I would say no, that the Chassis Heat sink does pretty well.

May 25, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #507 of 2,441
Quote:

I decided to use the Infrared gun this time.

Good to see that my unorthodox methods haven't led to a permanent decline in measuring standards on head-fi.
tongue_smile.gif
It's true, I haz got science degree (not a PhD yet though), so that makes my fingers much more reliable instruments. Moreover, I think there's a lot to be said for subjective temperature measurements. Especially with HiFi equipment a lot of the really important but subtle details can be completely overlooked when measuring with such so-called 'objective' devices like an IR-gun.

More or less on topic, something new has reared it's head on the Audio-gd website. It appears to be a Reference One without the DSP-1 and with HDCD capability (or a DAC-8 with HDCD capability, depending on how you want to look at it). Something for those who already own a good transport.

May 25, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #508 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More or less on topic, something new has reared it's head on the Audio-gd website. It appears to be a Reference One without the DSP-1 and with HDCD capability (or a DAC-8 with HDCD capability, depending on how you want to look at it). Something for those who already own a good transport.

What advantage does the DSP-1 give the REF 1 to the DAC9MK3 ? I'm saving up for one of these DAC's .. Does anyone know what the postage is for one of these DAC's to Brisbane Australia ?

Thanks ..

May 26, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #509 of 2,441

Users who are viewing this thread

Back