Audio-gd Reference 1 DAC (56 K warning)
May 20, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #482 of 2,441
Those are steady temps I think. I never noticed any fluctuation during use or idle. Then again my measurement tool is +-10% tolerance ( pinkie)
biggrin.gif

It doesn't fluctuate. It only starts to sound right or it's best after a good 45min or so have passed FWIW.

Peete.

May 20, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #483 of 2,441
I notice the Ref1 price just went up. It was USD$1390 when I ordered mine two weeks ago. Now it's USD$1550. I guess the promo price is over. There appears to be a Ref1 lookalike without DSP1 for USD$1100 now (DAC-9MK3).

May 20, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #484 of 2,441
For those that would like the HDCD function with the PMD100 chip. I think it's a good move. Like all promo's that period comes to an end eventually. 1.5K is still a bargain for the RE1 IMO.

It's too bad HDCD didn't get more support than it did. The real solution is to move the standard to 24/96 and not saddle it with any hardware needs that mean closed loop encrypted media and expensive proprietary players to listen to it (SACD/DVDA/ Blue Ray...HD Audio) sigh...that will likely never happen except online among the fringe like it is now. Stuck with 16/44 for another 20 years....(maybe).

Peete.

May 21, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #485 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I notice the Ref1 price just went up. It was USD$1390 when I ordered mine two weeks ago. Now it's USD$1550.

Silly move right before CanJam.

May 21, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #487 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just have to shrug my shoulders to this...tell you what why don't you email Kingwa and tell him exactly where he's gone wrong...I mean you obviously have the answers on how things SHOULD be built. Go right ahead he's a nice guy and will listen. Maybe in 5 or 6 years when the design is through testing you can buy it. Always a bright side.

Peete.

I'm not saying liquid cooling is the answer though, thats just how I would deal with it in my own rig =P Kingwa just has to know that there is a problem, and I'm sure he's smart enough to figure out a more feasible solution.

May 21, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #490 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All depends how the thing sounds.

It's been rated highly here, better than the NS 192 you are well familiar with. Did you decide to keep the Northstar?

May 21, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #491 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's been rated highly here, better than the NS 192 you are well familiar with.

Yeah, I'm going to wait for a bigger sample size.

Quote:

Did you decide to keep the Northstar?

I still have it, but I'm thinking about selling it and keeping the ECD-1. Who the hell knows anymore.

May 21, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #492 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I'm going to wait for a bigger sample size.

I still have it, but I'm thinking about selling it and keeping the ECD-1. Who the hell knows anymore.

Ahhh, interesting, thought you were leaning the other direction .

May 21, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #493 of 2,441
I was, I was. Then I got a switchbox and started A/Bing and changed my opinion. I have my 2 main BigRig amps coming soon, so a final decision will be made then.

But I'll continue to follow this thread with interest.

May 21, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #494 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not saying liquid cooling is the answer though, thats just how I would deal with it in my own rig =P Kingwa just has to know that there is a problem, and I'm sure he's smart enough to figure out a more feasible solution.

rolleyes.gif

Peete.

May 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #495 of 2,441
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rolleyes.gif

Peete.

Speaking of temps, mine is back down and I figured out why. Somewhere along the way i had turned off the Ceiling fan. That room houses a lot of HIGH Heat gear and there was not much air movement. Turned the FAN on and everything is a ton cooler. About 10 degrees F. I have not re-shot them all, just used Drosera's Method
icon10.gif

He's got a Ph.d and it's good enough for him. I did dip my hand in boiling water just prior to measuring for calibration purposes though. I know that's going the extra mile, but that's how we roll here!

On a side excursion, I'll schedule a re-shoot of the temps since it seems there was a pretty significant change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back