Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Sep 23, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #2,416 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You also were running yours in Death Valley with no AC in your house earlier I seem to remember, or some such nonsense, I would call that abuse and not a normal environment.

Not quite Death Valley, but it gets pretty hot here. And no, I never said any such thing. You're confusing me with someone else. I said my system was 2 feet away from my A/C wall unit. But now since I bought the audio rack, it's about 5 feet away. (I run the air in the summer 24/7. I do not like heat, if you couldn't tell.)

When the air was blowing directly on it it cooled it off enough so that it wouldn't burn my hand on the top of the chassis. But now that the air isn't directly blowing on it it gets to extreme levels. Both chassis are on separate shelves and there is plenty of empty space above each chassis for air to circulate.

I was thinking of buying those fans made for audio racks that you put under the shelves. I think that would certainly help.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #2,418 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not quite Death Valley, but it gets pretty hot here. And no, I never said any such thing. You're confusing me with someone else. I said my system was 2 feet away from my A/C wall unit. But now since I bought the audio rack, it's about 5 feet away. (I run the air in the summer 24/7. I do not like heat, if you couldn't tell.)

When the air was blowing directly on it it cooled it off enough so that it wouldn't burn my hand on the top of the chassis. But now that the air isn't directly blowing on it it gets to extreme levels. Both chassis are on separate shelves and there is plenty of empty space above each chassis for air to circulate.

I was thinking of buying those fans made for audio racks that you put under the shelves. I think that would certainly help.

Well, what is the ambient temp immediately adjacent to the Phoenix? If it has hot air around it, it will run hotter than if it has a stream of "fresh air".

Anybody interested in good cheap IR Thermometers. Google Raytek Thermometer. Look for as close to 1% accuracy as you want to pay. You can get 1.5% for under $50 shipped.

Raytek Laser Sight Thermometer -20 to 932 degrees F MT6:eBay Motors (item 230378154666 end time Oct-15-09 09:51:20 PDT)

Class A Biased gear is horrendously inefficient. They produce prodigious amounts of heat. You cannot fry an egg on a Phoenix. You can on a Krell or a Threshold or any number of other pieces of Class A gear.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #2,419 of 3,352
Quote:

Well, what is the ambient temp immediately adjacent to the Phoenix? If it has hot air around it, it will run hotter than if it has a stream of "fresh air".

Anybody interested in good cheap IR Thermometers. Google Raytek Thermometer. Look for as close to 1% accuracy as you want to pay. You can get 1.5% for under $50 shipped.

Raytek Laser Sight Thermometer -20 to 932 degrees F MT6:eBay Motors (item 230378154666 end time Oct-15-09 09:51:20 PDT)

I keep it around 70-72 degrees in my place. I like it to be comfortable.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #2,420 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I keep it around 70-72 degrees in my place. I like it to be comfortable.

That wasn't my question.

If I was a fly sitting on the shelf next to the Phoenix, how hot would I be?

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #2,421 of 3,352
Yeah when your gear is racked the heat can't rise off it properly. That's why my Phoenix is on a top shelf.

Sep 23, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #2,422 of 3,352
Any impression of GS1000i SE/Balanced on Phoenix?

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #2,424 of 3,352
Takeing the top off just changes conduction to convection.There are heat sinks on the inside attached to the bottom plate.You can see them on his web site.Go to alphanovatech.com and buy yourself a passive-flat self sticking heatsink.Dead horse society going back to music.

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #2,425 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by ztsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any impression of GS1000i SE/Balanced on Phoenix?

Very smooth, powers it well. Sibilance that is present on recordings is still on recordings. Makes them feel very powerful and impact is massive. Seems to smooth the top end a little, actually smooths everywhere.

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #2,426 of 3,352
I haven't posted here in a while so I'll give a little update. I'm still totally pleased with the Phoenix. It's really excellent as a preamp. It doesn't do any favours for bad recordings, but well-engineered music sounds perfect together with the Ref1. I am listening to some 24/96 Miles Davis right now and it's so, so good. Any sense of digital-ness is totally gone. On good live recordings like this one it sounds like they're playing in my room. I don't know of any other preamps anywhere near the Phoenix's price point that can at all compete with it.

After trying several different components in my 2 channel system there's finally nothing left distracting me from the music. I'm free to enjoy it in peace and that's a nice change.
smily_headphones1.gif
(which is why I haven't posted in a while - been enjoying it too much)

Sep 24, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #2,427 of 3,352
Quote:

That wasn't my question.

If I was a fly sitting on the shelf next to the Phoenix, how hot would I be?

My home's thermostat is set at 76 degrees. I have my Phoenix stacked with the power supply on top. Using a cheap digital thermometer/hygrometer from Wal-Mart placed next to the Phoenix, I get a temperature reading of around 83 degrees. With a fan on in the room, the temperature drops to around 78 degrees.

The Phoenix is tolerable for me during the summer. Come winter, I block all the heat vents in that room, so the heat radiated by the Phoenix might even be welcomed.
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #2,429 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim3320070 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That, and how does your K702 sound, is it balanced? Does the soundstage get too big?

I am still use the stock SE not balance yet. Not sure there is a point to balance it if use back the min XLR jack.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #2,430 of 3,352
Quote:

Very smooth, powers it well. Sibilance that is present on recordings is still on recordings. Makes them feel very powerful and impact is massive. Seems to smooth the top end a little, actually smooths everywhere.

Since we both have the D5k. Can point out the Sound Signature different between D5k and G1ki?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back