Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jun 30, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #1,036 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is putting your equipment on a metal rack good for the audio quality? Can't that cause some grounding issues and interference? Also, surely it doesn't have good vibration control.

None of that concerns me- if I had a turntable, sure on the vibration potential, but I don't.
Let's let that one go.......

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #1,037 of 3,352
Internal pics of mine, because people asked. The photography is a bit crappy because I had to use a slow shutter and narrow aperture, but I've uploaded 1920 wide versions.

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #1,038 of 3,352
From Kingwa when asked about metal shelf for his gear:

"Dear Tim,
REF1 and FBI500 is use plastic so metal shelf can't let they become short earth.
Phoenix apply metal feet, so want make the isolation for Phoenix.
Kingwa"

So I will use the rubber feet on the Phoenix and not worry about the rest of it.

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #1,039 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This subject came up at HC chat about fusing protection........Kingwa specs R-Cores with built in fuses inline to protect against heat and current (as Kingwa puts it)...you can see the inline protection on top of the 2 outside R-Cores under the heat shrink tubing. The upside down R Core has it's fuse (the exact same one as the others) underneath obviously....here's a pic from the web site showing such...

Peete.

Does this mean that the transformer has to be replaced if the fuse blows?

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #1,040 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looks like some type of fusible link inline.

Jun 30, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #1,041 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiToNi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this mean that there is not even a CAST output module in the circuit anymore, prohibiting Audio-GD to offer this as an option or for modders to DIY their own CAST output? I agree that it is a bit disappointing that the design doesn't offer CAST output when it's clearly Kingwa's signature feature and it could so easily have been added. Then it would also work as the fully functional preamp it is being marketed to be.

... btw I thought CAST was proprietary technology or has Krell's patent expired?

On another note, does anyone know if the third pin on the 3-pin XLR outputs is connected to ground so balanced cables that are designed to use this pin for shielding work as intended?

Anyone know if CAST is patented (I assume so) by Krell and if it is still in effect?

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #1,042 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know if CAST is patented (I assume so) by Krell and if it is still in effect?

I'm curious about this as well. It's probably not so good to use the term "CAST" if he is going to sell gear overseas, as it might attract the wrong kind of attention. I noticed the "SATRI" label on the outputs, and found this forum discussion about it. Tyson is the same Tyson on here I think.

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #1,043 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Progenitor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Apparently that is the case. The fuse is integral to this R-Core design which are over spec (130V primary) custom order IIRC. Originally I thought it was the inline splice on the top but I was in error.

Kingwa replied to my inquiry and confirmed the fuse is integral. Must be a new way of doing things with R Cores...... I have to confess I know very little about R Cores except that they are a superior trafo design according to specs for audio applications.

I'll see if I can't dig up some details on it somewhere (on the practice not the actual part).

Peete.

PS I found a small blurb on R Cores from Lenco in IL oustide of Chicago...it spells out the basics http://www.lenco-elect.com/r_core_transformers.htm The search continues for more specifics. One more from Elso Kwak http://www.jeichicago.com/products/r-core.shtml and another from EK http://www.jeichicago.com/products/r-core_compare.shtml

EDIT: Update from Kingwa. Of 10,000 units sold (most had the internal fuse) 1 or 2 have come back needing the transformer fixed from the fuse going. The trigger point for the thermal fuse is 150 Celcius.

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #1,044 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't advocate you supporting the company, but the truth is the truth... they make some of the world's best power cords. And for this price, it's a steal:

Virtual Dynamics - Audiophile Audio Cable

Thanks. That is one helluva discount.

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #1,045 of 3,352
Some more impressions, and "Dallan" will post in here tomorrow. He came over tonight and we compared the Phoenix to the Zana Deux using my RAM modded DL3 and his single ended HD800 and my balanced HD800. (He liked the DL3 so much that he is buying one and getting it modded.)

I am not going to go into specifics now as I'm just too tired, but here are the end results:

SE input / SE output on both Zana Deux and Phoenix: Zana Deux sounds more refined and we both agreed it was better than the Phoenix overall in this test. At 25% of total gain, Phoenix does not get very loud and I can listen at 70 on the dial. 99 is too loud for my ears but will not damage your headphones at all. (Don't try that with Balanced in/SE out (50% gain) or Balanced in/Balanced out (100% gain))

Balanced input / SE output on Phoenix, SE input / SE output on Zana Deux (that's all there is on the Zana): Dave preferred the Zana, I slightly preferred the Phoenix but they each have different presentations that are equally as pleasing. Phoenix has a much blacker background.

Balanced input / Balanced output on Phoenix: Dave and I both felt that the Phoenix completely blew the Zana Deux out of the water. No contest. This is what the Phoenix is designed for and this is where it shows its genius. The cleanest, clearest, blackest background, smoothest presentation, detailed, spatious, dynamic, you name it.

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #1,046 of 3,352
iPodPJ: Thanks for the impressions, very interesting.

An interesting thing I found out today: I already knew that if you plug the Reference 1 into an amp via SATRI/CAST to another Audio-gd amp, that XLR on the Ref 1 would be disconnected automatically, so you can't use both at the same time. Conveniently, if you switch off the Phoenix, it disconnects the SATRI/CAST connection, so the XLR output on the Ref 1 would be re-engaged without having to disconnect the SATRI/CAST cables. This means that all I have to do if I want to listen with the Stax rig instead is just turn off the Phoenix (or change the input selection on it).

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #1,048 of 3,352
I remember when Audio-gd said that they couldn't make the Phoenix in Silver. I would have loved to have had my Phoenix in Silver, but like most of us we were lead to believe that it couldn't be done in Silver. I'm tired of black.

Jun 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #1,050 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPodPJ: Thanks for the impressions, very interesting.

An interesting thing I found out today: I already knew that if you plug the Reference 1 into an amp via SATRI/CAST to another Audio-gd amp, that XLR on the Ref 1 would be disconnected automatically, so you can't use both at the same time. Conveniently, if you switch off the Phoenix, it disconnects the SATRI/CAST connection, so the XLR output on the Ref 1 would be re-engaged without having to disconnect the SATRI/CAST cables. This means that all I have to do if I want to listen with the Stax rig instead is just turn off the Phoenix (or change the input selection on it).

Yeah, Kingwa told me when there is no signal to or from the SATRI connection (I'm calling it that from now on), the analog connections can work, otherwise they are bypassed. I asked (bugged) Kingwa about a SATRI output on the Phoenix but he said:

"Phoenix apply CAST but only while design, I don't add the output pots on the PCB. If want CAST output must re-design the PCB only for add the output pots."

He designed not to have an output it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back