Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jun 28, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #887 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by shampoosuicide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the difference between Watt and Watt RMS?

Could be none depending on whether the person using the term "Watt" is using it in the proper context.

Generally speaking, RMS is used to indicate power under AC conditions versus DC conditions.

If you have 1 volt DC across a 1 ohm resistor, that means you have 1 amp of current flowing through it and the resistor is constantly dissipating 1 watt.

However if you have an AC voltage across the resistor, such as a sinewave, and the peak voltage is 1 volt, you'll be dissipating 1 watt at that peak, but less than 1 watt at all other points.

In order to make a more appropriate comparison between DC and AC conditions, the RMS (or Root Mean Square) value of the AC voltage is used for determining power.

The RMS voltage of a sinewave is 0.707 times the peak voltage. So for a sinewave with a 1 volt peak voltage, its RMS value will be 0.707 volts.

0.707 volts across 1 ohm means you have 0.707 amps flowing through the resistor and it's dissipating 0.5 watts RMS.

So even though the sinewave's peak voltage may be 1 volt, the resistor is dissipating the same amount of power as if there were only 0.707 volts DC across it.

k

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #888 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only this level of hypercriticality can be channeled at private banks eh yikes?

Yes, instead I believe the proposal is to have the Fed (a Private consortium of banks) watch over Wall Street. It is the Foxes Ruling the Hen house.

Thread Hi-Jack is over
wink_face.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #889 of 3,352
IMO, PSU cable talk will only hurt this thread. It is a polarizing issue. No good will come from it. Also, there will be a large segment that will discount your observations whole cloth when you mention how a $2500 power cable transformed your gear. You may think it's true, you may hear it's true, but it's polarizing. The thread would be better served to be kept "objective" and Uber controversial topics be put in the threads that deal with those products.

Also, "hyperbole" even though tongue in cheek, will be "piled on" by the "cliques who pile-on" because of the History of Fanboyism that has been attributed to ALL the A-GD threads. Just keep it objective and keep the magic dust out and let the product showcase itself.

Point out the Pros AND the CONS and let the chips fall where they will.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #890 of 3,352
Pointing out potential conflicts of interest and hyperbole is hardly being hypercritical. Other than the complete lack of heat dissipation measures, I'm sure the phoenix is a fine amplifier, and people can do whatever they want with their electron transportation. When someone stands to profit, however, it should at least be mentioned.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #891 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pointing out potential conflicts of interest and hyperbole is hardly being hypercritical. Other than the complete lack of heat dissipation measures, I'm sure the phoenix is a fine amplifier, and people can do whatever they want with their electron transportation. When someone stands to profit, however, it should at least be mentioned.

You're incorrect here. I shot all the temps with IR thermometer in different arrangements. The heat issue I had was because I had the gear stacked with the biggest heat producer trapped between the shelf and the interface box. When I turned them around the Heat dropped 20 plus degrees and feels warm to the touch now at a little over 100 degrees on the bottom of the case where the Transistors are "Heat-Sinked" to. He uses the entire case as a sink.

I admitted my mistake here after calling attention to it. It is a concern to anyone who might stack the gear like I did initially. It was pointed out, and the proper orientation was found and the gear temps went way down. If there is a mistake here, it's that there is no manual or instruction set with the gear.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #894 of 3,352
The entire concept of Objectivity when you're talking about peoples personal opinions of how things sound is idiotic. Everyone looks at the universe through their own rose colored glasses. Anyone who believes that they are being truly objective is deluding themselves.

If anyone believes that I am or have tried to make a profit from my posts here please complain to Jude about it. I have made every effort to avoid any conflict of interests. I occasionally mention Siltech, as in the fact that I import it and use it, but you'll never see me mentioning it's benefits (except for the time I recabled my SA5000's, and if you read that thread I ultimately made every effort to dissuade people from following in my footsteps). You'll also find that I avoid the Cable forum like the plague. I don't think I have ever even posted there, because I AM NOT HERE FOR BUSINESS.

I am however in the audio business, and because of that I often can get deals on my toys. The fact that I purchased the Phoenix at the same price as everyone else should tell you something about how special the Phoenix actually is.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:04 PM Post #895 of 3,352
Somewhere on the audio-gd site, mentions not to stack the gear. Although inconvenient for me not to stack the c-2c and the dac19, figured that interference and heat issues would be addressed by not stacking them. (sorta hijacked thread.)

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #896 of 3,352
Quote:

Other amps have tried the case as a heat sink too. It usually ends badly.

Heh, well it's working here because I have one in my hands. You don't It works on the Compass as well. If you have IR thermometer shots to show it doesn't work, post them. I posted mine to show it does work if oriented properly.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #897 of 3,352
Quote:

There are way too many accusations of all flavors being thrown around this site so casually these days. Enough is enough.

Also, why would holophonic sound be so absurd coming from my system when people mention it coming from their K1000 system? These two headphones are the soundstage champs, and if you haven't heard an HD800 yet on a very good, balanced rig I strongly suggest you do. And hey, I'm not tired now, I slept. It's still holophonic. I guess I'm nuts then.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #899 of 3,352
Quote:

Other amps have tried the case as a heat sink too. It usually ends badly.

from what i know, Audio-Gd have been using their case as heat sink for a few years already

Users who are viewing this thread

Back