Audio-gd Phoenix balanced headphone amp.
Jul 12, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #1,486 of 3,352
From my meet impression: "Let's get right to it: Balanced B22 and Phoenix. Here was how the testing went, we used the same dac, cables, power cords and did quick switching between the two amps. Using the HD800, it was really a toss up between the two IMO. I did not detect a whole of of difference between the amps but if I REALLY have to pick one, I would pick the B22. It sounded a little bit more aggressive, dynamic, and lively IMO, but it could be due to the lack of exact volume matching on my part. I did what I could to match the volume by ears."

Jul 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #1,488 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my meet impression: "Let's get right to it: Balanced B22 and Phoenix. Here was how the testing went, we used the same dac, cables, power cords and did quick switching between the two amps. Using the HD800, it was really a toss up between the two IMO. I did not detect a whole of of difference between the amps but if I REALLY have to pick one, I would pick the B22. It sounded a little bit more aggressive, dynamic, and lively IMO, but it could be due to the lack of exact volume matching on my part. I did what I could to match the volume by ears."

If it's that close, that is quite a compliment for the Phoenix given it's price.

Jul 12, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #1,489 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iPod and moonboy, thank you for those observations. Regardless of which one you guys prefer in the end, it's a pretty sound endorsement if the Phoenix runs neck and neck with the B22.

Yeah, it really is. They are both world-class performers and anyone should be thrilled to own either one. It really came down to preference, but both are equally superb.

I'm glad we were able to do the showdown for you guys.

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:24 AM Post #1,490 of 3,352
Thanks PJ...I take it the weekend was a big success, lots of fun had by all etc ?

Considering how good the balanced B22 is I'm pretty enthusiastic by the meet results. A close 2nd to a B22 is a good spot to be IMO.

I'll certainly be looking forward to your opinion of the Phoenix using the RE1 CAST option to see if it close's that gap between the 2 amps a little more.

Peete.

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #1,491 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks PJ...I take it the weekend was a big success, lots of fun had by all etc ?

Considering how good the balanced B22 is I'm pretty enthusiastic by the meet results. A close 2nd to a B22 is a good spot to be IMO.

I'll certainly be looking forward to your opinion of the Phoenix using the RE1 CAST option to see if it close's that gap between the 2 amps a little more.

Peete.

I have a feeling it will, Peete. Of course that's only an assumption for now and obviously I will let you know how it pans out. You should have seen people's reaction when I told them initially I thought the balanced B22 edged out the Phoenix. They said in astonishment, "You!?!??!? Oh no!!"

Also, there are other factors which may have played into this as well. First of all, both Dave and my noise harvesters were going crazy. There was tons of line noise in the meet room. Secondly, I had to keep disconnecting the Phoenix so it was never on straight for 3 - 4 hours which it needs to be in optimal conditions. So I gave the best assessment I could given the circumstances. If someone ever wanted to loan me a balanced B22, I could be a lot more thorough in the review.

I can say for certain (imo) that the Phoenix easily beat the quad-mono Rudistor RPX-100. That also had a DL3 hooked up to it, but not a modded DL3 like mine so I am taking that into consideration as well.

And surprisingly I enjoyed the Sony SA5000 whereas I hated the Qualia 010. Are they as good as the HD800? Not by a long shot but I liked the presentation they offered and I don't feel they have a closed in soundstage like others have mentioned, at least not with the Phoenix. The music sounds a little distant but it all seemed pretty well balanced to me, whereas others felt the tonality was way off.

The headphone that I hated the most at the meet was the Beyerdynamic DT48e. I have absolutely no idea how anyone could listen to this headphone for more than 2 seconds. The sound is godawful and is extremely closed in. Everything sounds so muffled and distorted. I really don't understand the appeal of these.

Another headphone that was interesting was the AKG K240. It didn't sound bad but it required more juice than any other headphone I've ever used. I literally had to turn the volume up on the Phoenix to two and half times past the point where it would blow the HD800 drivers. I have no idea what the sensitivity rating of the K240 is but I have no idea how most headphone amps could even drive these to any level other than very quiet.

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #1,492 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a feeling it will, Peete. Of course that's only an assumption for now and obviously I will let you know how it pans out. You should have seen people's reaction when I told them initially I thought the balanced B22 edged out the Phoenix. They said in astonishment, "You!?!??!? Oh no!!"

Thanks PJ for organizing such a great meet, if I was from that part of the world, I am sure I would have been there..
smily_headphones1.gif

I am sure with the REF1 in the chain, it will make much difference, but for comparison sake, it would have the same effect on B22, so in my opinion the B22 still has a edge over Phoenix.

That being said, considering the price of Phoenix and the fact that it still manages give the B22 a run for its money, makes me believe that Audio GD has achieved in producing one of the best SS amps in the market - Good for us !..
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #1,493 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks PJ for organizing such a great meet, if I was from that part of the world, I am sure I would have been there..
smily_headphones1.gif

I am sure with the REF1 in the chain, it will make much difference, but for comparison sake, it would have the same effect on B22, so in my opinion the B22 still has a edge over Phoenix.

That being said, considering the price of Phoenix and the fact that it still manages give the B22 a run for its money, makes me believe that Audio GD has achieved in producing one of the best SS amps in the market - Good for us !..
smily_headphones1.gif

It was my pleasure and we had a great group of people participating which made it so much fun. Many of the members on Head-Fi contribute to an amazing fellowship which makes it all worthwhile.

Well over in the meet thread we are debating if the edge the B22 had was artificial and due to distortion. It could have given a false sense of detail and dynamics due to distortion and we are trying to figure out if that was the case. The B22 had the fun factor but the Phoenix is neutral which is what it was designed for. I would like to have AtomikPi come over one day so we can do a comparison in my home where it is quiet and spend a good deal of time doing evaluations on every level of the spectrum. Or it could be that the B22 was neutral and the DAC had a sound signature. Only testing this again with the REF1 will reveal the truth.

And let's not forget that the Phoenix is truly a preamp at heart. That is where the insides were borrowed from. Some members have stated it outperforms (by a wide margin) $3000 - $5000 preamps. Since I don't have a speaker rig I am unable to verify this for myself.

I also listened to santacore's C-2C and I was surprised at what a good amp it was. Considering the price it is an absolute steal.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #1,496 of 3,352
Quote:

Hopefully Gary will be able to bring it up there.

Still waiting for an answer whether I can hitch a ride or not. If I do get a ride, I'll also consider bringing my newly acquired Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC.
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #1,497 of 3,352
PJ, I agree with you on the spirit of the Head-Fi community, although I would not be able to comment on the distortion of B22 and neutrality of the Phoenix as I haven't heard either.

But yes, the factor more important for me being the preamp section, which is very highly spoken about by users, would make the Phoenix my choice and it takes nothing away from quality of B22.

I hope we get some more feedbacks and further comparisons like the meet Fallen Angel is talking about.

All said and done, like Monkey said Phoenix is a pretty sound endorsement if it runs neck and neck with B22.

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #1,498 of 3,352
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still waiting for an answer whether I can hitch a ride or not. If I do get a ride, I'll also consider bringing my newly acquired Electrocompaniet ECD-1 DAC.
tongue.gif

Congrats on that by the way. You'll have to come over soon so we can compare it to the RAM DL3 and the REF1 when it gets here.
wink.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #1,499 of 3,352
Quote:

Congrats on that by the way. You'll have to come over soon so we can compare it to the RAM DL3 and the REF1 when it gets here.
wink.gif

L3000.gif

I didn't have a chance to audition your rig at all since everyone were in line to test the B22 against your Phoenix and the meet was noisy at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back